• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

could pac 12 be best league?

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC is the best conference right now. Top to bottom. Not sure why there is any debate.

Now, with that said, the gap has closed a bit this year.

Until the SEC powers of their top 6 teams gets beat on a regular basis (like the shitstorm that is the Big 10), then they are the best.

Bowl season will tell us a lot more.

By the way, what power school did the Pac 12 beat from the SEC to even try to talk any kind of trash? Wazzu played a 3-9 Auburn team tough in their crib (and still lost)? Oregon beat the crap out of a 5-7 Tennessee team with a 1st year coach after firing their last at home?

Doesn't the Pac 12 have to beat an SEC team of note to gain any kind of respect to actually be called better?

Guess not.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yawn.

The entire thread is about conference strength and was started by a PAC fan. No one I've seen is saying their team is better because other 5 teams in our conference won NCs in the BCS era, and 7 straight by 4 teams. We are simply saying that is an indicator of conference strength. In that no other conference has come close to that in the BCS era, I'd say that's some pretty convincing evidence.

You see, if USCw were to win 7 NCs in a row, that would not necessarily show conference strength. If, however, Oregon, USCw, Stanford, and UCLA were to win 7 NCs in row, and then throw in one more for Washington in the BCS era, I am pretty sure that people would say the PAC is the strongest conference. You would not get any argument from me.

Are there other indicators of conference strength? Sure, like top 10 rankings, bowl games, Heisman's, twice the number of players drafted than the next conference last year, but I am afraid that works in the SEC's favor as well.

I've given the PAC props in this thread ... I hope they show I was right the rest of the year.

Good points!! I was just answering the question posed by SEC Official!! You may be right that if the PAC pulled off what the SEC has done, that PAC fans would be claiming conference superiority!! We don't know, because it hasn't happened!!

I'm not one to disparage the SEC, I like the conference and if I'm not watching USC, I'm usually watching an SEC game!! I just don't see how different SEC teams winning the NC, makes Ole Miss or any other SEC team that hasn't won any better!!

Just because the best SEC team may be able to beat the best from other conferences, doesn't necessarily mean that the rest of the conference is somehow better!!

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL pac 12, not even close. Lets completely remove Bama from the SEC, pretend they do not exist.

OSU, Oregon, Stanford and USC still do not match up well against the SEC. Arizona and ASU are not that good.

A&M competes very well with Oregon and rolls the other 5. Those teams (except Oregon) match up evenly ish with Florida, and they suck this year.

LSU is having a down year and those teams would not beat them on a neutral field. Then you have Georgia, SC...

I think a fair argument is B1G vs Pac 12, clearly Oregon is the best in those 2 conferences but after that the B1G should match up pretty well.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the PAC really should be the no. 2 or no. 1. They have California, and the west coast pretty much to themselves (which can cut both ways due to east coast bias). But, they have great warm weather, which gives them a geographic/weather advantage over the B1G (sorry, but you aren't going to get a big number of players from the south and the west/sw wanting to go to to the cold weather climates), and they are close enough to Texas to draw well from there. Oregon and Washington are somewhat geographically challenged, but they still can draw out of CA, and they have the Pacific Northwest to themselves. And, with the up tempo game that matches more with what high schools are doing these days, that will continue to be a draw.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the PAC really should be the no. 2 or no. 1. They have California, and the west coast pretty much to themselves (which can cut both ways due to east coast bias). But, they have great warm weather, which gives them a geographic/weather advantage over the B1G (sorry, but you aren't going to get a big number of players from the south and the west/sw wanting to go to to the cold weather climates), and they are close enough to Texas to draw well from there. Oregon and Washington are somewhat geographically challenged, but they still can draw out of CA, and they have the Pacific Northwest to themselves. And, with the up tempo game that matches more with what high schools are doing these days, that will continue to be a draw.

Makes sense until you realize that California and the entire West Coast isn't as football hungry as the rest of us are.

Yes, they have pockets, but it isn't the end all be all kind of thing we see east of the Rockies.

By the way, have you checked a map lately to see just how close Texas is to California?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense until you realize that California and the entire West Coast isn't as football hungry as the rest of us are.

Yes, they have pockets, but it isn't the end all be all kind of thing we see east of the Rockies.

By the way, have you checked a map lately to see just how close Texas is to California?

Football isn't the be all, end all out here, but California is 2nd only to maybe Texas when it comes to football talent!!

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL pac 12, not even close. Lets completely remove Bama from the SEC, pretend they do not exist.

OSU, Oregon, Stanford and USC still do not match up well against the SEC. Arizona and ASU are not that good.

A&M competes very well with Oregon and rolls the other 5. Those teams (except Oregon) match up evenly ish with Florida, and they suck this year.

LSU is having a down year and those teams would not beat them on a neutral field. Then you have Georgia, SC...

I think a fair argument is B1G vs Pac 12, clearly Oregon is the best in those 2 conferences but after that the B1G should match up pretty well.

Someones into da Jack tonite...the SEC, excluding Bama Wouldn't/Couldn't hold the PAC's jockstrap up on a weekly basis.

BTW BOTS...who did you play in tonites BS vs. Fresno game?:noidea:

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sheer size of the population is key to California. As for Tejas, it's one state from Arizona, a PAC team. And, California is likely to get more Texas kids than the B1G and ACC, I am guessing, but not the BigXII obviously. Don't have the time, but if you checked the rosters of B1G v. PAC, my guess is that PAC does better in Texas.

Plus, I put a lot value in climate. I think that is a major problem that the B1G is going to have to fight.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheer size of the population is key to California. As for Tejas, it's one state from Arizona, a PAC team. And, California is likely to get more Texas kids than the B1G and ACC, I am guessing, but not the BigXII obviously. Don't have the time, but if you checked the rosters of B1G v. PAC, my guess is that PAC does better in Texas.

Plus, I put a lot value in climate. I think that is a major problem that the B1G is going to have to fight.

You do realize that Gainesville, FL is as close to Dallas, TX as is Tucson, AZ, right? U of A being the furthest South and East to Texas as is possible from the peak edge of the Pac 12.

And the distance from Tucson, AZ to Los Angeles is another 500 miles. Much less the prime destinations of Oregon and Washington to that easily accessible Texas recruiting grounds.

As for climate? That is for pussies. South has 3 months of unbearable heat, the north has 3 months of cold. Strap it the fuck up.

Don't guess. Bring facts.

Last edited by a moderator:

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with both great points made, Pac 12 should be better than the B1G hands down, but
in the west they have a life so to speak.

Football isn't the be all, end all out here, but California is 2nd only to maybe Texas when it comes to football talent!!

You mean excluding SEC country? I am pretty sure they learn football Xs and Os before they can walk.

Someones into da Jack tonite...the SEC, excluding Bama Wouldn't/Couldn't hold the PAC's jockstrap up on a weekly basis.

Makers Mark :D I didnt bet this game, I would have taken FSU -3.5 and it was close but pulled out.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that Gainesville, FL is as close to Dallas, TX as is Tucson, AZ, right? U of A being the furthest South and East to Texas as is possible from the peak edge of the Pac 12.

And the distance from Tucson, AZ to Los Angeles is another 500 miles. Much less the prime destinations of Oregon and Washington to that easily accessible Texas recruiting grounds.

Actually, I did not realize that. In my mind, I see Texas as more of a western state.

But what a pedantic pud-whacker you are. Check out the rosters of ASU, UA, Arizona, Oregon, Colorado and the other PAC teams - many Texas football players. Check out Florida, in Gainesville - none. Other SEC teams very few, if any. The BigXII obviously dominates Texas, but outside TAMU and some of the more western SEC teams, the SEC does not. Advantage PAC, and that was my point, of course.

As for climate? That is for pussies. South has 3 months of unbearable heat, the north has 3 months of cold. Strap it the fuck up.

So, you are denying that climate plays a part in college football recruiting, Internet tough guy? Let's see how that keeps working out for you as you continue to lose out on the southern players. Some how I think you got all riled up about how tough you are in the snow and didn't realize I was referring to recruiting.

Don't guess. Bring facts.

I agree ... please bring facts next time, not worthless geography exactitude. The PAC, in addition to California does well in Texas, the no. 1 state for talent. Which was the point I was making and that you apparently couldn't comprehend.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I did not realize that. In my mind, I see Texas as more of a western state.

But what a pedantic pud-whacker you are. Check out the rosters of ASU, UA, Arizona, Oregon, Colorado and the other PAC teams - many Texas football players. Check out Florida, in Gainesville - none. Other SEC teams very few, if any. The BigXII obviously dominates Texas, but outside TAMU and some of the more western SEC teams, the SEC does not. Advantage PAC, and that was my point, of course.

So, you are denying that climate plays a part in college football recruiting, Internet tough guy? Let's see how that keeps working out for you as you continue to lose out on the southern players. Some how I think you got all riled up about how tough you are in the snow and didn't realize I was referring to recruiting.

I agree ... please bring facts next time, not worthless geography exactitude. The PAC, in addition to California does well in Texas, the no. 1 state for talent. Which was the point I was making and that you apparently couldn't comprehend.

The lack of geographical reference from anybody that lives east of the Mississippi River is quite comical. The closer you get to the East Coast, the more clueless they become.

As for players on a roster in the Pac 12 from Texas? Sure they have some. As for players on Big 10 rosters from Texas and Florida? Might want to round up those numbers while you are at it and compare.

But of course your point is always about the SEC. You don't know about anything west of the Ole Miss or care to do any kind of research outside your own borders. Hell, nobody in the SEC really knows anything outside of the SEC. You are too arrogant to care.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lack of geographical reference from anybody that lives east of the Mississippi River is quite comical. The closer you get to the East Coast, the more clueless they become.

As for players on a roster in the Pac 12 from Texas? Sure they have some. As for players on Big 10 rosters from Texas and Florida? Might want to round up those numbers while you are at it and compare.

But of course your point is always about the SEC. You don't know about anything west of the Ole Miss or care to do any kind of research outside your own borders. Hell, nobody in the SEC really knows anything outside of the SEC. You are too arrogant to care.

That's all you've got? I totally owned you, and your response is to put down southerners as not knowing our geography? You will note that I admitted that I didn't know the exact distance from Dallas to Gainesville ... but my instinct that Texas being a more western state and would be recruited more by the PAC than the SEC was dead on. And that was the point, after all.

As to my arrogance, read all my posts here and you tell me where I have been arrogant ... I've been talking up the PAC left and right (not so much the B1G, the conference that used to be no. 2 .. LOL).

As to my geography, I've visited 46 of the 50 states (ND, SD, MT & NM), and I travel about 100,000 miles a year on business. I know my geography, not knowing the exact distance from Dallas to Florida notwithstanding.

Head back to the kiddies table, so the adults can discus the PAC.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all you've got? I totally owned you, and your response is to put down southerners as not knowing our geography? You will note that I admitted that I didn't know the exact distance from Dallas to Gainesville ... but my instinct that Texas being a more western state and would be recruited more by the PAC than the SEC was dead on. And that was the point, after all.

As to my arrogance, read all my posts here and you tell me where I have been arrogant ... I've been talking up the PAC left and right (not so much the B1G, the conference that used to be no. 2 .. LOL).

As to my geography, I've visited 46 of the 50 states (ND, SD, MT & NM), and I travel about 100,000 miles a year on business. I know my geography, not knowing the exact distance from Dallas to Florida notwithstanding.

You may want to go back and read through the thread for reading comprehension purposes in the future.

As for name calling and all that such? Not much into that. Shows lack of character and an inability to defend one's opinion and or statement of facts.

Only thing I know is that you first started to claim the Pac 12 being able to pull players from Texas due to proximity. I gave specific facts about that perceived location regardless of your frequent flyer miles that you couldn't refute.

Time for bed. As a pedantic pud-whacker I'm sure you'll claim some kind of victory or lay down some kind of "law" that makes you feel somehow superior. I'll give you an early congratulations. :clap:

tideguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,211.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to ask a question.

I see the argument from anti-SEC fans all the time on why any fan of a SEC team would support another SEC team... and that the conference homerism is embarrassing because you have mediocre SEC teams living off the coat tails of good SEC teams (or at least their fans).

But then we get into these "my conference is better than yours" threads ... driven by some of the same people who point out that we should root for a team and not the conference.

Not taking a position here.. just pointing out the hypocrisy.

"Team SEC" was created by non SEC people, and when the talk shit about the SEC and "we" defend it, then the whole "team SEC" gets thrown out there...

brin3535

moose twit!
Hoopla Cash
$ 955.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shouldn't you be sucking a dick right about now?

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Team SEC" was created by non SEC people, and when the talk shit about the SEC and "we" defend it, then the whole "team SEC" gets thrown out there...

That is so untrue "Team Sec" was invented by SEC fans. We have all seen South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi etc... Fans cling to the jock of Bama, Florida & LSU success.

brin3535

moose twit!
Hoopla Cash
$ 955.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looks pretty central to me. I had to look twice...but yeah, it's in the middle. :nod:

images

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks pretty central to me. I had to look twice...but yeah, it's in the middle. :nod:

images

The funny thing about it is that the state is so big, that it depends on where you are in the state. If you are in El Paso, you are in the west.