• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

could pac 12 be best league?

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having 1 team in the conference win the NC does NOT make the whole conference the best.
Sure it does. When you best can beat their best on a regular basis then you are the best.

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC has better play in the trenches. Stanford can win most match-ups, if not all. Oregon can hold win some and hold their own against the best enough for their skill guys to make plays. ASU showed it can vs. Wisky. The rest of the Pac-12 is soft.

The Pac-12 does have better QBs. But, overall the SEC is still better. Pac-12 is second.

outlaw okie

Racer X
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem for the Pac is that if Ole Miss loses to say an LSU they would probably move up two spots in the polls.
If UCLA were to lose to Oregon they would drop 6 spots. :lame:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC is gaining and this is why:

1. Hired an outstanding Conference Commissioner who knows what he is doing.
2. New Network deal brought much needed cash into the conference.
3. Cash brought in new and improved coaching talent.
4. Cash allowed facility upgrades.

What is perplexing is why the B1G isn't gaining any traction.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having 1 team in the conference win the NC does NOT make the whole conference the best.
Well 5 different ones have won the NC during the BCS era and the SEC has never lost a BCS NCC game. They should get a Hell of a lot credit and respect for that.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to ask a question.

I see the argument from anti-SEC fans all the time on why any fan of a SEC team would support another SEC team... and that the conference homerism is embarrassing because you have mediocre SEC teams living off the coat tails of good SEC teams (or at least their fans).

But then we get into these "my conference is better than yours" threads ... driven by some of the same people who point out that we should root for a team and not the conference.

Not taking a position here.. just pointing out the hypocrisy.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not really the very top that makes the SEC better than the Pac 12 right now imo. I don't know if I think Alabama and LSU are significantly better than Oregon and Stanford. It's that second group of "I -think- they're really good, too, but I'm not quite certain" that gives them the edge. The SEC throws out Georgia, aTm, South Carolina and Florida next to UCLA, Washington, ASU and I guess USC. Who wins, Georgia or UCLA? Aggy or Washington? South Carolina or ASU? Florida or USC? I think they'd be really interesting games, but I suspect the SEC would have a little bit of an edge.

Yeah, I kind of agree with this. But, let's get some games under our belts. UGa gets curb stomped at home by LSU, and how can we be sure how good the Dawgs are? UF has some serious O problems that could have them losing a few games. USCe ... who knows, they had a tough time with Vandy. Same goes for the PAC teams ... UCLA's win over Nebraska could look a lot different unless Nebraska comes around. Washington over BSU might not be today what it would have been 3 years ago. ASU can't rely on dumb QBs (relax Wisky fans, I kid, I kid) and the refs (relax ASU fans, I kid, I kid), USC hasn't impressed. So, let's get some games in and then we will see.

All that said, I am impressed with the PAC thus far, and I think their HUNH O, plus the coaches they are getting, is going to make them the solid no. 2, if not no. 1.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You win 7 NCs in a row (by 4 different schools), have 5 different teams win the BCS title over 15 years, and then start placing 5 teams in the top 10 ... that makes it the best.

I say this, clearly acknowledging that I like PAC football and think they are going places and are the no. 2 conference at worst. I get the PAC channel and watch the games almost every weekend. Great respect for USC (hate 'em and Kiffin, but respect them), love what Stanford has done with their academic limitations, gotta love Oregon's mile a minute O, college football is better with a solid UCLA, and maybe those Arizona schools will final get over the hump with the great weather, good coaches, hot chicks, etc.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You win 7 NCs in a row (by 4 different schools), have 5 different teams win the BCS title over 15 years, and then start placing 5 teams in the top 10 ... that makes it the best.

I say this, clearly acknowledging that I like PAC football and think they are going places and are the no. 2 conference at worst. I get the PAC channel and watch the games almost every weekend. Great respect for USC (hate 'em and Kiffin, but respect them), love what Stanford has done with their academic limitations, gotta love Oregon's mile a minute O, college football is better with a solid UCLA, and maybe those Arizona schools will final get over the hump with the great weather, good coaches, hot chicks, etc.

Good read Dawg, but ya left out the "Darkhorse" in yer Pac analysis...DAS BEVOZ!

Wouldn't it be nice if the nerds that be COULD schedule MORE of the SEC vs. PAC games...the viewership would be off the charts don't cha think?:suds:

Carryon...

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That really just makes those teams the best. How can you say that since Bama or LSU won the NC that means that Ole Miss is the best? As far as that 5 teams in the top 10, we have seen what those top SEC teams have done vs. teams like Clemson and Louisville that were ranked lower. Using a biased ranking to justify why someone is better makes no sense.

My grandma says I am the #1 grandson so that must mean that the rest of you are fighting for #2.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to ask a question.

I see the argument from anti-SEC fans all the time on why any fan of a SEC team would support another SEC team... and that the conference homerism is embarrassing because you have mediocre SEC teams living off the coat tails of good SEC teams (or at least their fans).

But then we get into these "my conference is better than yours" threads ... driven by some of the same people who point out that we should root for a team and not the conference.

Not taking a position here.. just pointing out the hypocrisy.

I think there's a difference between debating overall conference strength and trying to claim that your team is somehow better because their rival team won the NC!!

If Oregon or Stanford win the NC this year, it doesn't make USC or any other PAC team better and I doubt you'd see any PAC fans on here trying to claim that it did!!

Yet, when the debates over which conference is better happen, you see SEC fans trying to use NC's as a big reason why they are the top conference.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got it right TF...Will anyone remember Tenny getting spotted a 7-0 lead and then getting run out of town the way they did?:suds:

I like the Pac vs SEC..we need MORE of it...but let's schedule the good teams against the good teams and the bad one against the bad one...simply really and ESPN would RAKE IT IN, much to their delight.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got it right TF...Will anyone remember Tenny getting spotted a 7-0 lead and then getting run out of town the way they did?:suds:

I like the Pac vs SEC..we need MORE of it...but let's schedule the good teams against the good teams and the bad one against the bad one...simply really and ESPN would RAKE IT IN, much to their delight.

:agree: Would love to see more SEC/PAC matchups!!

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I kind of agree with this. But, let's get some games under our belts. UGa gets curb stomped at home by LSU, and how can we be sure how good the Dawgs are? UF has some serious O problems that could have them losing a few games. USCe ... who knows, they had a tough time with Vandy. Same goes for the PAC teams ... UCLA's win over Nebraska could look a lot different unless Nebraska comes around. Washington over BSU might not be today what it would have been 3 years ago. ASU can't rely on dumb QBs (relax Wisky fans, I kid, I kid) and the refs (relax ASU fans, I kid, I kid), USC hasn't impressed. So, let's get some games in and then we will see.

All that said, I am impressed with the PAC thus far, and I think their HUNH O, plus the coaches they are getting, is going to make them the solid no. 2, if not no. 1.

A little off topic, but am I the only one who has that weird sinking feeling in their stomach that USC is going to figure shit out sooner rather than later and still go 10-2 or something? Their defense as far as I can tell is excellent. They've got a running back. They just can't throw. But they've got multiple 4 and 5 star QB options on the team. So if one of them can figure out how to get the ball to Lee and co., what happens? They go from shitting the bed against Washington State to ... where? Top 25? Top 15? How many teams have more talent?

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read Dawg, but ya left out the "Darkhorse" in yer Pac analysis...DAS BEVOZ!

Wouldn't it be nice if the nerds that be COULD schedule MORE of the SEC vs. PAC games...the viewership would be off the charts don't cha think?:suds:

Carryon...

I would like that, but SEC v. ACC and PAC v. B1G kind of makes more sense with travel and economy issues. I was disappointed when we canceled the Oregon series. That would have been fun. That said, having UGa v. Clemson, Bama v. VaTech, UF v. Miami to star the season was fun, even though we went 1-2.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little off topic, but am I the only one who has that weird sinking feeling in their stomach that USC is going to figure shit out sooner rather than later and still go 10-2 or something? Their defense as far as I can tell is excellent. They've got a running back. They just can't throw. But they've got multiple 4 and 5 star QB options on the team. So if one of them can figure out how to get the ball to Lee and co., what happens? They go from shitting the bed against Washington State to ... where? Top 25? Top 15? How many teams have more talent?

From your keyboard to God's eyes!! :hope:

Kessler did hit on an 80 yard td to Marqise Lee last week!!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like that, but SEC v. ACC and PAC v. B1G kind of makes more sense with travel and economy issues. I was disappointed when we canceled the Oregon series. That would have been fun. That said, having UGa v. Clemson, Bama v. VaTech, UF v. Miami to star the season was fun, even though we went 1-2.

Yeah!! It's a bummer too!! Like Wallace said, the ratings, etc. would be amazing.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's a difference between debating overall conference strength and trying to claim that your team is somehow better because their rival team won the NC!!

If Oregon or Stanford win the NC this year, it doesn't make USC or any other PAC team better and I doubt you'd see any PAC fans on here trying to claim that it did!!

Yet, when the debates over which conference is better happen, you see SEC fans trying to use NC's as a big reason why they are the top conference.

Yawn.

The entire thread is about conference strength and was started by a PAC fan. No one I've seen is saying their team is better because other 5 teams in our conference won NCs in the BCS era, and 7 straight by 4 teams. We are simply saying that is an indicator of conference strength. In that no other conference has come close to that in the BCS era, I'd say that's some pretty convincing evidence.

You see, if USCw were to win 7 NCs in a row, that would not necessarily show conference strength. If, however, Oregon, USCw, Stanford, and UCLA were to win 7 NCs in row, and then throw in one more for Washington in the BCS era, I am pretty sure that people would say the PAC is the strongest conference. You would not get any argument from me.

Are there other indicators of conference strength? Sure, like top 10 rankings, bowl games, Heisman's, twice the number of players drafted than the next conference last year, but I am afraid that works in the SEC's favor as well.

I've given the PAC props in this thread ... I hope they show I was right the rest of the year.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, I cannot say another conference is better than the SEC. I think if any team has an argument, it is the Pac 12. Actually, the Pac 12 is the only one I think that even comes close. I just won't believe it until they actually have a way to show they are better.