• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could Alabama beat the Jacksonville Jaguars?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from prediction machine.com

Last year South Carolina Head Coach Steve Spurrier claimed that Alabama could beat some NFL teams and would even be favored in some matchups. This of course sparked a debate that we settled by simulating the Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Alabama.

Last weekend Alabama easily dispatched another ranked opponent and the Jaguars lost by more than three touchdowns for the third time this season. With Alabama gunning for a three-peat and Jacksonville “playing dead for Ted” we thought we would run this simulation back, except we will simulate the Crimson Tide against every winless team in the NFL.

Alabama: Do they have enough talent to win?
Since the start of the 2011 college football season, Alabama has been at the top of our College Football Power Rankings every single week.

Since 2008, Alabama has had 33 players selected in the NFL Draft. Of those 33 players, 14 have been first round draft picks. In last year’s draft, nine players from Alabama were selected, the most from the school since 1945.

On this year’s squad, eight players rank in the top 200 of the 2014 NFL Draft Prospects (per CBS Sports). This includes three projected first round picks in Cyrus Kouandjio (OT), C.J. Mosley (OLB), and Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix (FS). Plus, two of Alabama’s most exciting prospects are true sophomores T.J. Yeldon (RB) and Amari Cooper (WR) who are not avaiable for next year's draft.

Of course the talent is there but how does it stack up against NFL teams?

Alabama vs. the NFL (0-4 teams)
We simulated each matchup on a neutral field, with the assumption that each team had equal time to prepare and that games were played under NFL rules.

Winning Team Win Percentage Score Tampa Bay Buccaneers 95.8% 37-10 Pittsburgh Steelers 95.7% 40-12 New York Giants 95.4% 39-12 Jacksonville Jaguars 91.4% 32-13
Alabama loses and it is not really close. Each of the four winless NFL teams would be more than 90% likely to win and, on average, defeat Alabama by more than three touchdowns.

What does it say about 2004 USC vs 2004 49ers?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes...and they ended in the mid-70's with the college all-stars losing the last dozen or so. When the NFL truly started to become a professional league in the mid-60's the college all-stars were never going to win another one.

Alabama vs the lowly Jaguars would turn out the same as Alabama vs Georgia State...with the better team winning in a landslide. Offensive & Defensive linemen peak at 28-30...not 20-23. Yes, there are 23 year old lineman in the country that can start in the NFL...no team has 10-12 of them to man an NFL roster.

The last win was in the early 60s. The NFL players had off season jobs back then. There were no off-season workouts or training regimens. Those were college all-start teams too. So if you're talking about a team of 1'st team all-Americans going up against the Jags that's an entirely different argument. I think the Jags still win fairly easily but it would be closer than a matchup against Bama.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About as likely as Duke beating Bama. Play 10 games 0% chance. Play 1000 maybe once if the stars, moon and sun aliegned. I'd take Bama +55 in this one, but not +54.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does it say about 2004 USC vs 2004 49ers?

Those Niners won 2 and stayed within 10 points in 9 of their losses. The Trojans had a tough time with unranked Stanford & UCLA. I'll take the Niners.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Blaine Gabbert the starting quarterback for the Jags?

If the answer is yes, Alabama has a chance.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see. Alabama has better coaching, better chemistry, better athletes, on par facilities, a winning mentality. If you took the two teams and merged them right now, how many current jags would be cut? The only thing the jags have in their favor is the paycheck, which most people assumes means they are awesome.

Jags would probably win, maybe. But it's not so easy just because 'they are pro's'.

I think they have a chance.

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama can't even go through an undefeated season in the NCAA, why is this question even asked?

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see. Alabama has better coaching, better chemistry, better athletes, on par facilities, a winning mentality. If you took the two teams and merged them right now, how many current jags would be cut? The only thing the jags have in their favor is the paycheck, which most people assumes means they are awesome.

Jags would probably win, maybe. But it's not so easy just because 'they are pro's'.

I think they have a chance.

Seriously? :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Seriously what? Serious that I think the jags would probably win? Yes. Seriously.

Serious that I think BAMA stands a chance. Yes. Seriously. I do.

I'm serious about everything I said, although the point on facilities may not be entirely true because I have no idea what kind of facilities the jags have. I do know BAMAs are amongst the best in college football, and thats damn good.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously what? Serious that I think the jags would probably win? Yes. Seriously.

I'm serious about everything I said, although the point on facilities may not be entirely true because I have no idea what kind of facilities the jags have. I do know BAMAs are amongst the best in college football, and thats damn good.

None whatsoever. Even pretending they have a shot puts you in the bottom percentile of the bottom percentile of intelligence.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None whatsoever. Even pretending they have a shot puts you in the bottom percentile of the bottom percentile of intelligence.

Whats your IQ? I bet mine is a lot higher.

Anyway...

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You posted that Bama had better athletes. Several of Bama's starters won't sniff an NFL bench. That itself makes the rest of your post irrelevant.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hilarious watching you guys try to insult people simple because they don't entirely agree with you.

:lame:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats your IQ? I bet mine is a lot higher.

Anyway...

On a standard test 150 but that's out of the range that those tests have much validity.

And IQ is only a fraction of intelligence. You have demonstrated inability for basic critical thinking here...