• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Congrats CU Fans

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I don't get then if you've actually seen his games. He's been outstanding and all you have of Montez is vs Oregon St ( he didn't do much in previous game ). I like Montez future for sure though. Good sign for CU fans. :suds:.
Montez tore up Oregon, too.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tearing up Oregon is like tearing up a field full of old granny's, same with Oregon State.

That being said I am very impressed with Montez however.

He is gonna be REALLY good.

Both have brutally pathetic defenses. (like the majority of college football)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tearing up Oregon is like tearing up a field full of old granny's, same with Oregon State.

That being said I am very impressed with Montez however.

He is gonna be REALLY good.

Both have brutally pathetic defenses. (like the majority of college football)
:10:

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been on my mind last several years..... Is there just a serious lack in talented defensive coaches in the college ranks nowadays or is the time devoted to the offense scoring 50 pts a game take preference( for the major college teams) , over solid D play ? I don't know how half the DC's in the top schools in the country keep their jobs ! It's pitiful. Sure, it's fun to watch teams march up and down field till final buzzer if your not a fan of defense. I am though. Maybe College FF is more important :)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another reason to love the Buffs - the DC is Jim Leavitt. Leavitt started the South Florida University football program and in a decade had them ranked #2 in the nation in 2007 - 2nd only to Ohio State. He had a student athlete complain that Jim Leavitt hit him or something - and he was fired from South Florida as the Team crested in the rankings. Since then he coached the Linebackers with the 49ers. MacIntrye took a chance on him and brought him back to college football - a bold move because of his "history" and because Coach Mac is on a short leash and Leavitt would be considered an able replacement as HC. The Buffs Defense improved by leaps and bounds last year and this year improved by leaps and bounds again. The Buffs not only have an offense that can score and 2 QBs who can sling the ball - they have a defense with the longest consecutive streak of games with at least one turnover in a row - now at 18.

I'm very interested in the USC game - these Buffs seem to want success more than most teams. USC on the road will be a bigger statement game for these Buffs and what they can achieve this year. It is the fusion of hunger to win and talent to make plays that drives this current Buffs team.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are just a few teams out there in the top 25 that really are committed to the D side. Michigan, Wisconsin, etc and you have to throw in CU. Except for that ST's fiasco vs Michigan, they look as solid as any right now. USC is a good test because of road game / exposure pressure, but I'm feeling pretty good about CU solid win here.Good post Mungo ;)

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been on my mind last several years..... Is there just a serious lack in talented defensive coaches in the college ranks nowadays or is the time devoted to the offense scoring 50 pts a game take preference( for the major college teams) , over solid D play ? I don't know how half the DC's in the top schools in the country keep their jobs ! It's pitiful. Sure, it's fun to watch teams march up and down field till final buzzer if your not a fan of defense. I am though. Maybe College FF is more important :)
Most schools just put their most talented players on offense, combine that with the rules in college designed to help the offenses even more than the NFL, and you have the offensive explosion you see currently.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most schools just put their most talented players on offense, combine that with the rules in college designed to help the offenses even more than the NFL, and you have the offensive explosion you see currently.
True, but there are very gifted players coming out of high school on the D side and heavily recruited with top 25 collegiate schools nabbing most of them, and yet they produce porous defences. Nowadays, schools like Alabama that reel in some of the best defensive prospects in the country, can't hold opponents under 30 pts. It has to be lack of qualified coaching or players that are slow learners to adapt from high school to college level.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think a lot has to do with the amount of spread offenses in the NCAA now. It seems to be the offense over half the teams are running outside the Big 10, which is the conference with the best defense from top to bottom. The spread is killing defenses in NCAA because it works and not many teams know how to defend it yet. I think sooner or later a formula will be in place, but it seems to be getting worse.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot has to do with the amount of spread offenses in the NCAA now. It seems to be the offense over half the teams are running outside the Big 10, which is the conference with the best defense from top to bottom. The spread is killing defenses in NCAA because it works and not many teams know how to defend it yet. I think sooner or later a formula will be in place, but it seems to be getting worse.
But aren't they doing the same in high school ?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really pay attention to formations in high school. I follow recruiting hardcore, but not really game by game of what teams are doing. Much different level.

I know the two high school teams I watch run the ball 85% of the time. But that is just two games. I have yet to see a spread offense in HS football, but I live in Iowa, down south and in Ohio it is a way different game of HS football.

Either way, college teams are not stopping the spread. Defenses are very poor in college football.

Gotta get back to smash mouth football like the big 10, where guys actually learn how to play like they do in the NFL. SEC does some of it too, but big 12, pac 12 and ACC, No defense outside a few teams.

I do love the Washington defense.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think part of the problem is that teams cannot get enough quality secondary players to cover that much field. In the NFL they can stop a lot of that stuff because of the quality of players and they can run a few more thigns scheme wise that is just a bit more than most college kids can handle. Most college kids are not great at zone coverage which would be the best way to stop that style of offense. You are asking 18-22 year olds to be disciplined in what they are doing and it just isn't going to happen. I would add that the restrictions they have on how much time they can actually spend studying for the games compared to NFL players plays into that as well.

When you add in that QB's at the college level have really good athleticism that teams have to respect it makes a difference. Those same college kids though get to the NFL and they have DE's coming after them that are just as fast and hit much harder than those kids in college. So you have to work to protect your investment a bit more and not call so much of the QB taking off running. I mean look at the QB's who are still trying to run that same type of scheme as they did in college. Kaepernick had to have quite a few surgeries this off season. RGIII is out for the year. Cam Newton might miss this week with a concussion and has already had a few surgeries. The QB's just don't last like they do in college.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really looking forward to watching the CU Vs. USC. USC has the talent and the depth, but CU has been able to play with focused emotion - execute well and make the most out of their talent. A big part of the CU team is from Southern California so they grew up USC fans. Lots of good story lines with this game. This week comes news that a highly recruited Olineman from Texas - who is committed to the Longhorns - is visiting CU next week on a recruiting visit - which tells you a lot about the perception of top HS athletes - on the near fortunes of CU and UT.

Montez has been listed number one on the current depth chart - so the expectation is that he will go and Sefo can be available in relief, if necessary.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I wasn't able to see game but was talking with Bro who lives in Colorado, the fact USC had 4 turnovers and the offense behind Montez really didn't capitilize, the D despite giving up 400 plus yards ( USC Qb made some unbelievable scrambling plays ), played tough. If Sefo would of played I think Colo wins. Good learning experience for Montez.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just another Colo football note. Air Force beats Navy in a good defensive battle but wins pretty convincing. Then Navy beats #6 ranked Houston in high scoring game while AF loses to Wyoming today. College football is a blast these days and so unpredictable anymore. Got to love it. :)

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what this game shows us is Colorado is still not quite there. I'd argue the only reason they were ranked is because so many teams from 17-25 lost last week, paving the way. They'll drop out of the top 25, but may be able to climb back in by the end of the season. A top 25 ranking and a bowl win would make this a banner season for this program.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sefo would have made a difference in this game. The Buffs did not have the talent USC had on the roster, but played a game - they could have won. Solid game on the road - against a tough opponent.

Bigger and better things are ahead for the CU football program (and basketball).

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a good offensive game for Colorado.

They sorta got USC at the wrong time as they are starting to play much better. Colorado didn't play bad on D, offensively their pass game was way off playing against a team who has struggled against the pass much of ths season.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First apologies to #Draft Crazy - I actually pay for premium CU information and they were faked out into thinking Montez was going to start.

The Buffs looked very good. Great game plan - ASU - blitzes and they ran at the blitz = taking the nations #5 ranked fun defense to school for about 300 yards rushing. Lindsey got 200 yards and three TDs. CU did not let up after half time - breaking Lindsey loose for a 75 yards TD romp on the first play of the 2nd half. Sefo played within himself - completed a high percentage of passes - and crucial first downs with the QB draw - he made great decisions all game. I don't think he has an interception this year.

Jimmy Gilbert is going insane with his pass rush skills - disrupting the entire Sun Devil offense. Addison Gilliam looks like he is finally back to his early level of play at CU - which is brilliant and very fast.

The Buffs almost ran Michigan out of the Big House - stuck with USC on the road with the 2nd string QB. The play defense and can both run the ball and pass it. They even throw from the WR position. Stanford is going to have their hands full in trying to beat this Colorado team.

It was especially fun watching Kellen Ballage a guy Colorado HS guy - recruited by ASU - getting stopped in his tracks while CU dominated both sides of the LOS.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good Mingo. I had Mahomes and Chad Kelly starting anyway. :)