• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conference Semifinals: Boston Celtics (2) vs Philadelphia 76ers (3)

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2019 team had Butler, JJ, Tobias and Simmons, who was a top 15/20 player. Go back and look at that series. Embiid was atrocious. He avg 18 ppg on 37% shooting from the field. Had more TO's than assists. In game 7 he was 6/18 from the field. Kawhi avg just under 35 ppg that series. Embiid has come up short numerous times, in big spots. If you trade Jokic and Embiid, Philly has probably made a finals, and multiple ECF's IMO.
To be fair, Embiid wasn’t the current MVP caliber Embiid in 2019. He was still on his growth arc to the guy we have seen 2021-23. However, if you focus on those three years of playoffs it shows a guy who drops this time of year.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve seen nothing of Joel Embiid in the playoffs to establish him as a killer like Jordan was. You can reference some 50 point efforts by Jordan along the way. Him going toe to toe with the Bad Boy Pistons but his team not having enough around him. The supporting cast keeps changing and yet the one constant among the players is Embiid. Maybe Embiid does have a championship player lurking inside him. I think it’s time to recognize that if he does have that, he’s not reaching that potential in Philly. Both the player and the organization need a change.

The problem here is that even when Embiid were to be traded the Sixers can’t trade the ownership group that has failed time and time again to hire the right decision makers.

It may simply be that Embiid isn't a #1. It seems that he just hasn't been able to take that next step.

Good point about MJ. While it took a few years for him to get his 1st title, it wasn't because of his own play. He was still putting up elite numbers. Same with Lebron in his first stint in Cleveland. That's what #1's do.

Embiid hasn't done that. He has generally been pretty mediocre in the playoffs. And for him to throw his teammates under the bus after that loss also shows he may not be a #1. If I'm a Sixers fan, I'm as concerned about that as anything. That can have ramifications not only on the current roster but also on who they can get to join him.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, Embiid wasn’t the current MVP caliber Embiid in 2019. He was still on his growth arc to the guy we have seen 2021-23. However, if you focus on those three years of playoffs it shows a guy who drops this time of year.

True, but he still avg 27.5 and 13.6 rpg that year and finished 7th in the MVP voting. He dipped big time against Toronto. Last year against the Heat was bad, and this series was bad. I can understand a little dip, but it's pretty massive how much worse he's been in the playoffs.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may simply be that Embiid isn't a #1. It seems that he just hasn't been able to take that next step.

Good point about MJ. While it took a few years for him to get his 1st title, it wasn't because of his own play. He was still putting up elite numbers. Same with Lebron in his first stint in Cleveland. That's what #1's do.

Embiid hasn't done that. He has generally been pretty mediocre in the playoffs. And for him to throw his teammates under the bus after that loss also shows he may not be a #1. If I'm a Sixers fan, I'm as concerned about that as anything. That can have ramifications not only on the current roster but also on who they can get to join him.
Not in the mood to defend Embiid today so I’m going to give a half hearted taken out of context thing on those comments yesterday. He had just gotten 3 straight Harden centered questions when he says what he said about 5 guys on the court. He took ownership of him in that same press conference. Shit, in the 3Q yesterday as it ballooned to 21 and the fam decided to collectively turn it off, I said to my girls, I don’t even think he shows to the presser.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but he still avg 27.5 and 13.6 rpg that year and finished 7th in the MVP voting. He dipped big time against Toronto. Last year against the Heat was bad, and this series was bad. I can understand a little dip, but it's pretty massive how much worse he's been in the playoffs.
I don’t even want to hear anymore the injury excuse. Sure it makes an impact but you can’t ignore that every year he’s run down and he’s hurt come playoff time.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t even want to hear anymore the injury excuse. Sure it makes an impact but you can’t ignore that every year he’s run down and he’s hurt come playoff time.

He busts his ass trying to win mvp. Meanwhile Jokic could have cared less about it, and he's been insane in these playoffs. And has been his entire career.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob and 5 first round picks for embiid…

(Celtics will trade one of their guards for another first for salary purposes and flip pick to Philly)

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob and 5 first round picks for embiid…

(Celtics will trade one of their guards for another first for salary purposes and flip pick to Philly)
If the Sixers were to do a deal with the Celtics for Joel Embiid I’m going to gather a group of insurgents and together we are going to synchronize an attack on the practice facility and offices in Camden as well as the Wells Fargo Center and the Sixers offices inside the building. There’s no way in fucking hell I want to see Embiid a Celtic. Fuck that.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2019 team had Butler, JJ, Tobias and Simmons, who was a top 15/20 player. Go back and look at that series. Embiid was atrocious. He avg 18 ppg on 37% shooting from the field. Had more TO's than assists. In game 7 he was 6/18 from the field. Kawhi avg just under 35 ppg that series. Embiid has come up short numerous times, in big spots. If you trade Jokic and Embiid, Philly has probably made a finals, and multiple ECF's IMO.
I'll cede you watch more NBA than I do, but IMO no Simmons was never top 15/20.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely right. Embiid didn't exactly play lights out, and he threw teammates under the bus after he lost. I think there are legitimate questions now about whether they can attract other good players to that situation. Perhaps changing coaches and general managers will be enough, but honestly I doubt it. I think a house cleaning is in order.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll cede you watch more NBA than I do, but IMO no Simmons was never top 15/20.

He was 3rd team All NBA in 2019-2020. And was 1st team All Defense in 2020 and 2021. He was really good. He sucks now though.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely right. Embiid didn't exactly play lights out, and he threw teammates under the bus after he lost. I think there are legitimate questions now about whether they can attract other good players to that situation. Perhaps changing coaches and general managers will be enough, but honestly I doubt it. I think a house cleaning is in order.
That bus toss was pretty bad, only player he protected played worse than he did.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, after the game when Embiid went to hug and congratulate Tatum, he said "Man, you had to pick tonight to drop 51". lol

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem here is that even when Embiid were to be traded the Sixers can’t trade the ownership group that has failed time and time again to hire the right decision makers.
Adam Silver and Jerry Colangelo sabotaged one of the franchises in their league and Josh Harris let them. Where do you go from there?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, after the game when Embiid went to hug and congratulate Tatum, he said "Man, you had to pick tonight to drop 51". lol
Those guys are good friends and work out together in the off season. They are both Drew Hanlon clients.