• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Commish Wants to Raise Min Age

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I
How many of your 1st team allstars made a significant impact as a rookie? IE the 1 year they would have had to play basketball someplace besides the NBA. How about in year 2?

There have been 42 players to come straight from high school.

Of the players you have listed only LBJ made a decent impact his 1st year. None even made significant impacts their 2nd year.

If players are so highly touted and will make that much of an impact in the NBA right out of high school then they are not missing out on any money.

Rookie pay for the #1 pick is $4.4m.

LBJ signed a $90m contract with Nike and even received a sizable enough loan based on his projected out come to roll around CLE in a Hummer while still in high school.

The top paid player in Europe makes $4.2m per year and could not cut it in the NBA playing a grand total of 138 NBA games starting in 18 of them. If a top US player were to play in Europe their paycheck would be considerably larger than that not to mention their international marketability would grow immensely.

?ar?nas Jasikevi?ius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What about skills development? This is where you may have an edge but with D and Euro league options and the elite coaching of the NCAAB I doubt it is much if any.

Skill development? it's like i am saying the same shit over and over.. and you guys just keep ignoring it and asking the same question.

Kevin Garnett made the all star team his 3rd year. Is that not skill development. According to this rule.. he would have been a rookie that same year. I highly doubt he becomes an all-star. the NBA furthered his skill development over college. Also the idea that none made an impact their second year is absolute pure fantasy. You keep making shit up..

Kevin Garnett second year.. 17 pts 8 boards 3 assists 2 blocks
Kobe Bryant second year 15.4 points 3.1 boards 2.5 assists
Amaré Stoudamire ROOKIE 13.5 points 8.8 boards Rookie of the Year
second year 20.6 points 9 boards
Dwight Howard ROOKIE 12 points 10 boards
second year 15.8 points 12.5 boards a double double as a rookie

and you already cried uncle on Lebron.

That is 5 guys that were all-stars by the time or during their rookie season if they had to wait 2 years in college. in the last 20 years in NBA only 4 guys who went to college made the all-star team in their rookie season. College does not refine your skills better than the NBA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i will give you the Euro league is a good option. I wish more high school players would do it. But an 18 year old agreeing to play overseas just doesnt happen that often. I would love to see these guys thumb their nose at college and go get their money.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole problem with this is the teams and not the age of the players. If a kid is not ready then don't draft him. If he can go to war at 18 he can definitely play pro ball. Flauge is right. This is racist. Football and Basketball are the 2 main sports Black kids gravitate to. Guess what? They both have age restrictions. If the kid needs development he can go to the D league after being drafted by a pro team. This is reducing players ability to earn a living and forcing them to attend college or go overseas for employment. The only way i would not have a problem with this is if they paid the college athletes.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

i am sure those busts are to busy counting their millions than worrying about college. im sure somewhere jonathon bender is wishing he had gone to college.. proven he couldnt play and didnt get drafted and made nothing. those millions just suck.

congrats Mike Jordan went to college. at least he was given the choice of pro if he wanted too.

This does not in any way answer my post. Perhaps you should re-read it?:noidea:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole problem with this is the teams and not the age of the players. If a kid is not ready then don't draft him. If he can go to war at 18 he can definitely play pro ball. Flauge is right. This is racist. Football and Basketball are the 2 main sports Black kids gravitate to. Guess what? They both have age restrictions. If the kid needs development he can go to the D league after being drafted by a pro team. This is reducing players ability to earn a living and forcing them to attend college or go overseas for employment. The only way i would not have a problem with this is if they paid the college athletes.

Then you and Flauge are clueless as to what racism actually is. It would only be racist if only players from 1 race were affected by the rule.

Last I checked, Peyton Manning couldn't enter the NFL any sooner than Adrian Peterson and under the proposed rule, Kevin Love wouldn't be able to enter the NBA any sooner than Derrick Rose.

Also, it's been explained why it's different for the NBA and NFL than it is for MLB and the NHL. MLB and the NHL have farm systems that players go through to develop. The NFL and NBA do not.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you and Flauge are clueless as to what racism actually is. It would only be racist if only players from 1 race were affected by the rule.

Last I checked, Peyton Manning couldn't enter the NFL any sooner than Adrian Peterson and under the proposed rule, Kevin Love wouldn't be able to enter the NBA any sooner than Derrick Rose.

Also, it's been explained why it's different for the NBA and NFL than it is for MLB and the NHL. MLB and the NHL have farm systems that players go through to develop. The NFL and NBA do not.

I'm pretty aware of what racism is. Its a when you determine something about one race and develop a system to treat that race differently. Since a vast majority of the players entering the NBA are Black it affects mostly Black people. Same thing with the conviction rates for crimes committed primarily by Black people. Its going to get some whites but no one really cares. The NBA does have a farm system called the D-League. NFL has practice squads. Those may not be official but they serve the same function.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty aware of what racism is. Its a when you determine something about one race and develop a system to treat that race differently. Since a vast majority of the players entering the NBA are Black it affects mostly Black people. Same thing with the conviction rates for crimes committed primarily by Black people. Its going to get some whites but no one really cares. The NBA does have a farm system called the D-League. NFL has practice squads. Those may not be official but they serve the same function.

If it were proven that a black athlete is less likely to qualify for college and the rule was that a player must attend college for 2 years before he was eligible to play in the NBA or NFL, then you and Flauge might have a leg to stand on in your argument that it's racist.

The rule in the NFL existed before the league was mostly black players. So, it wasn't set up to keep certain players out. The D-League is not a true farm system for the NBA, yet. But that may be where it's headed and as I have said earlier in the thread, could be a viable option for those who do not wish to attend college or play overseas.

An NFL practice squad consists of approximately 5-6 players, so that hardly qualifies as a farm system. The game of football does not lend itself to having a farm system that would work. The game is too violent for that and the risk of injury on any play is too great.

Additionally, since most players in the NBA and NFL are black and since most of the stars in those leagues are black, it would be pretty stupid to keep a player out of the league because of his race. Both leagues make billions from having these players playing and they're not likely to want to lose that. Green trumps every other color, every time.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe the NBA is racist for having so many more black athletes than white athletes.

total racism at its finest. keep the white people down.

oh wait, the owners want to do what is best for their team regardess of race?!

Same thing here. get over it. its not racist. If you want to debate the impact of keeping kids in a school for two years and what impact that has on the NBA and NCAA product and development of players fine. calling this racist is just dumb

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the owners would prefer to have a racist rule, rather than profiting off the best product available.

Makes good business sense. Flauge and Montsho ought to lend advice to NBA owners.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb and dumber seem to have disappeared.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thats-racist-gif.gif%3Fw%3D500

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those two should finish junior high before they talk to the big boys. I don't think they quite get the term 'racism'.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really. It's only racist if it only people from one race are affected by the rule. So if we pass a law in the United States that says only people with one million dollars in a bank account can vote or run for any political office... that law would not have any racism involved at all?

Before you tell me and montsho we dont know what racism is... maybe you should figure out how it works in the 21st century.

Every other sport out there you can be a pro at 18. Make millions..even tour the world. But not basketball or the NFL. Those 18 year olds are just to immature. Got it. Not racist at all... just like the millionaire rule.. it effects all people equally.. well some a little more equally than others.. but that's the point, right?

I mean shit.. according to your flawed logic the Poll Taxes used in southern states wasnt racist at all... after all..even white people paid them. WOW.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So by your logic, if a white 17 year old wants to enter the NBA but can't because of this rule, that's racist?

:L

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So by your logic, if a white 17 year old wants to enter the NBA but can't because of this rule, that's racist?

:L

No.. But i cant tell if you are intentional misrepresenting my opinion or if you are honestly this stupid. These age rules placed on athletes disproportionately effect the african american athlete. That's our point. In 5+ pages of discussion.. no one has actually disputed this fact. They have just tried to justify it with mostly arbitrary statements that cant be proven in any real way. Like it is better for the players. Despite the fact of the 40 some players who came out early.. there are easily 5 hall of famers among those 40... if the top 41 or 42 picks in an NBA draft of all college players ended up with 5 hall of famers that class would be considered an all time great class. but ignore that.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,068.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this idea a lot

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is about money. owners are sick of having to draft on hype. for every LeBron James and Kevin Garnett there are 20 Sebastian telfairs, ed currys etc. if these players finally develop into good players their rookie contract is up and they run out of town. the nba is the one sports where 1 to 2 players can make your franchise. comparing it to any other sport is beyond stupid. it does sucks for the small number of guys who are ready.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.. But i cant tell if you are intentional misrepresenting my opinion or if you are honestly this stupid. These age rules placed on athletes disproportionately effect the african american athlete. That's our point. In 5+ pages of discussion.. no one has actually disputed this fact. They have just tried to justify it with mostly arbitrary statements that cant be proven in any real way. Like it is better for the players. Despite the fact of the 40 some players who came out early.. there are easily 5 hall of famers among those 40... if the top 41 or 42 picks in an NBA draft of all college players ended up with 5 hall of famers that class would be considered an all time great class. but ignore that.

And not the caucasian american?

How can it be racist when it affects EVERY race?