• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Commish Wants to Raise Min Age

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with that. It makes sure that players come into the league more refined and ready for the next step and it also ensures better players and a better product in college hoops.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i find this at best stupid and at worse racist. the NFL and the NBA are the only sports that require this minimum age. You can drive in Nascar at 16. Why the age requirements on the two sports that have the most black kids? I get the NBA is trying to protect their free minor league system. But would anybody bat an eye if an 18 year old kid were hired directly from high school to IBM, Microsoft, or Apple and given a 6 figure salary because of his computer skills? No, no problems there.

Millions are on the line.. going to college could blow your knees/ankles.. anything. Take the money while you can young men.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow. GREAT IDEA! Dude is already better than the previous one. the one and done ruined college ball and it watered down the NBA so badly.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb idea. I only like this idea if you allow guys to come out of HS again. They should allow you to come out of HS if you choose BUT if you decide to college then you must stay 2 years

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i find this at best stupid and at worse racist. the NFL and the NBA are the only sports that require this minimum age. You can drive in Nascar at 16. Why the age requirements on the two sports that have the most black kids? I get the NBA is trying to protect their free minor league system. But would anybody bat an eye if an 18 year old kid were hired directly from high school to IBM, Microsoft, or Apple and given a 6 figure salary because of his computer skills? No, no problems there.

Millions are on the line.. going to college could blow your knees/ankles.. anything. Take the money while you can young men.

:L

So why not lower the age on drinking to 18 while we're at it?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes just awful. They may have to get 2 years of free quality coaching and education before becoming a millionaire.:bawling:

Or even worse, they may have to go travel the world, get culture, and make tons of money playing in Europe for 2 years before becoming a millionaire.:bawling:

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nobody is forcing kids into their free minor league system of college basketball. Their is a D league that pays $12k to $24k a year (which should could be raised) or there are currently professional leagues in Europe with out a salary cap who would probably pay more than the rookie scale contracts they get in the NBA. Not to mention if say a Wiggins type went to the D-League they would be immediately fought over by shoe companies etc and be instantly a millionaire.

As for it being racist that the NFL and NBA have age limits and Nascar doesn't, I disagree. I am usually right there on most (even almost outlandish) racist claims but I am not sold on this. They should have more options as far as work goes. A college student is not limited in the jobs they can have to go to school, neither should an athlete be limited. They should not just handed money by boosters though.

The NBA is a corporation, they can hire whomever they want. Other corporations hire right out of high school because that is beneficial to their company. If the NBA and NFL think that young kids are bad for their product that is their choice.

The drinking age should be lowered to 18. If the country thinks you are old enough to die for their war profiteering they should be considered old enough to drink.

*Also as far as reparations go, kids from poverty earning an education is far more valuable than any amount of money that could be handed over. Once again, nobody makes them choose a shitty school/degree or to be done after a year. Kids should also be allowed to sell their names or have whatever job they want.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes just awful. They may have to get 2 years of free quality coaching and education before becoming a millionaire.:bawling:

Or even worse, they may have to go travel the world, get culture, and make tons of money playing in Europe for 2 years before becoming a millionaire.:bawling:

If they do not choose the NCAA any who would be millionaires at the NBA level would be millionaires anyways from shoe companies etc.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This needs to happen. It's really what's best for the players & the league. Players need more development not just in terms of basketball, but simply living in the real world. For the league it would improve the overall play of the league.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Racist? This is hilariously stupid. Each league acts in its own interests.

Professional athletes have a hell of a lot more pressures and exposure than any of those jobs. Immaturity working at apple gets you fired and does little damage to the company. Immaturity in the NFL or NBA is a black eye on the business and is still a substantial amount of guaranteed money thrown away.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when guys like Bobby Hurley were house hold names because you watched him for 3-4 years before they went pro. I love this idea. The NBA has been another league (not in a good way) since they started letting kids skip college.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some kids that are ready to make the leap straight out of HS and some that need 2-3 years in college before going pro. Every kid is different and there is no perfect solution to this. Imagine 2 years of Anthony Davis playing college ball...That would be a waste of his time, imo.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always thought the NBA should operate like the NHL with regards to this. Draft everyone at 18, and then have the NBA teams and the players together decide what is in the player's best interest. The NBA team then has their rights for 5 years (I think?) and they can come out whenever both the player and the team decide it is best. For players that aren't drafted at 18, they leave college basically as free agents and can sign with whoever will take them. It's worked for years in hockey.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes... because making millions of dollars is the same thing as ordering a beer.

What if the kid blows both kness in college and misses out on becoming a millionaire. College isnt a bad idea for most kids.. but it is for some. Lebron and Kobe seem to be doing just fine without it.

As for it being racist that the NFL and NBA have age limits and Nascar doesn't, I disagree. I am usually right there on most (even almost outlandish) racist claims but I am not sold on this. They should have more options as far as work goes. A college student is not limited in the jobs they can have to go to school, neither should an athlete be limited. They should not just handed money by boosters though.

The NBA is a corporation, they can hire whomever they want. Other corporations hire right out of high school because that is beneficial to their company. If the NBA and NFL think that young kids are bad for their product that is their choice.

*Also as far as reparations go, kids from poverty earning an education is far more valuable than any amount of money that could be handed over. Once again, nobody makes them choose a shitty school/degree or to be done after a year. Kids should also be allowed to sell their names or have whatever job they want.

I never said the motivation was racist. I said at best it is stupid and at worse it is racist. it falls somewhere between the spectrum. The NBA can hire whomever they want. No one is arguing that. My argument comes from the need for this rule which is stupid. Also saying education is far more valuable than any amount of money.. might be the single stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I ask... why is it the two sports with predominantly black athletes the only ones with age requirements past 18? Baseball... no. Hockey... no. Nascar... no. Tennis...no Golf...no Basketball... yes. Football.. yes. I am sure that's just an amazing coincidence. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Believe whatever you want. I have no problem with Microsoft hiring a kid out of high school for 6 figures.. I have no problem with the Bucks hiring a kid out of high school for 7 figures. Forcing them to college to play for free and risk blowing knees out and missing out on money is stupid. there is Europe.. and that is actually a fair point. I really hope alot of these kids thumb their noses at college and go overseas to play.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All for it. It would help out both college and NBA. Better players in college for another year and more disciplined, well rounded players entering the league.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Focus on continuing to improve the amenities of the d-league and d-league expansion before worrying about tinkering with the age limit. There's no reason basketball can't become like baseball where high school seniors can either choose a school or go pro.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I ask... why is it the two sports with predominantly black athletes the only ones with age requirements past 18? Baseball... no. Hockey... no. Nascar... no. Tennis...no Golf...no Basketball... yes. Football.. yes. I am sure that's just an amazing coincidence. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Believe whatever you want. I have no problem with Microsoft hiring a kid out of high school for 6 figures.. I have no problem with the Bucks hiring a kid out of high school for 7 figures. Forcing them to college to play for free and risk blowing knees out and missing out on money is stupid. there is Europe.. and that is actually a fair point. I really hope alot of these kids thumb their noses at college and go overseas to play.

Stop bringing race into it. It has nothing to do whether you're black or white.