• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Commish Wants to Raise Min Age

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money buys shit, knowledge is power.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop bringing race into it. It has nothing to do whether you're black or white.

I will bring whatever I want it to this. Quit trying to tell me what to think or type.

If race has nothing to do with it.. what is so different about the typical 18 year old NBA and NFL prospect that is so vastly different than the the typical 18 year old baseball/nascar/tennis/hockey/golf prospect? Why does the NBA and NFL prospect need an age requirement when the others dont? Explain that in a logical way without using race.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will bring whatever I want it to this. Quit trying to tell me what to think or type.

If race has nothing to do with it.. what is so different about the typical 18 year old NBA and NFL prospect that is so vastly different than the the typical 18 year old baseball/nascar/tennis/hockey/golf prospect? Why does the NBA and NFL prospect need an age requirement when the others dont? Explain that in a logical way without using race.

Several things...

-The NBA and College product is greatly improved with better players and age and training are the largest part of that. This is a business after all.
-You cited injuries as your main concern but playing against players who are better, bigger and faster than you will greatly increase your injury probability especially in leagues that a lot of contact exists. The NBA and especially the NFL fit this criteria.
-Tennis, Nascar and golf run 0 risk of injuries caused by superior opponents. MLB has very little risk of injury caused by superior opponents. Pretty much only base running collisions.
-MLB, Nascar, Golf, Tennis and the NHL all have extensive minor league systems in place.
-Nascar, tennis and golf are all governed by an active ranking system that makes minor league systems not very important.
-Baseball has a system in place to either go through the minor leagues or college for 2 years, and is much more similar to the NBA than you are giving it credit for.
-NHL minimum age is 19 unless approved just like the current NBA.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are a private entity so they can do this.

But my argument is on the college side of the debate and not so much the sport. There are those that have said that NBA players should be required to get a four year degree before entering the NBA. Okay then, does that also apply to tennis, golf, the military, etc.? *crickets*

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are a private entity so they can do this.

But my argument is on the college side of the debate and not so much the sport. There are those that have said that NBA players should be required to get a four year degree before entering the NBA. Okay then, does that also apply to tennis, golf, the military, etc.? *crickets*

I have never heard that but I am sure it has been said. That is ridiculous and because the sports are different we should stop trying to treat them the same way. They are each doing what they feel is in the best interests of their individual products.

Side note, why would the military take educated people to die for their war profiteering, it is like using a BMW in a wreck em derby. (Not going to call them Ferraris)

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those sports require much more physical maturity to survive. You can be a scrawny 18 year old in baseball, or tennis, or golf. You will not survive as an 18 year old NFL player. It won't happen.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i find this at best stupid and at worse racist. the NFL and the NBA are the only sports that require this minimum age. You can drive in Nascar at 16. Why the age requirements on the two sports that have the most black kids? I get the NBA is trying to protect their free minor league system. But would anybody bat an eye if an 18 year old kid were hired directly from high school to IBM, Microsoft, or Apple and given a 6 figure salary because of his computer skills? No, no problems there.

Millions are on the line.. going to college could blow your knees/ankles.. anything. Take the money while you can young men.

yes-wait-wtf.gif

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Note to self:

This guy is a fucking moron and should never be taken seriously.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several things...

-The NBA and College product is greatly improved with better players and age and training are the largest part of that. This is a business after all.
-You cited injuries as your main concern but playing against players who are better, bigger and faster than you will greatly increase your injury probability especially in leagues that a lot of contact exists. The NBA and especially the NFL fit this criteria.
-Tennis, Nascar and golf run 0 risk of injuries caused by superior opponents. MLB has very little risk of injury caused by superior opponents. Pretty much only base running collisions.
-MLB, Nascar, Golf, Tennis and the NHL all have extensive minor league systems in place.
-Nascar, tennis and golf are all governed by an active ranking system that makes minor league systems not very important.
-Baseball has a system in place to either go through the minor leagues or college for 2 years, and is much more similar to the NBA than you are giving it credit for.
-NHL minimum age is 19 unless approved just like the current NBA.

The NBA product is greatly improved? Lebron James, Moses Malone, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant weren't ready for the NBA? They were bad for business?

Injuries? Really you are going to cite injuries? An 18 year old is allowed to get in a car and drive 200 mph crammed on a track with 30 other cars... and you are worried that LeBron James on a fast break is what is to dangerous for this kid? In baseball a projectile is thrown at upwards off 100mph from 60 feet away... 18 year old is ready for that? But don't let him anywhere near Chris Paul? REALLY? wow.

Your entire argument centers around a minor league system. So the NBA just wants to make their predominantly black talent pool play for free for two years in a minor league system they don't sponsor? No doesn't sound racist at all. Tell me again about how dangerous the non college educated Lebron is to these kids... I lost my train of thought watching that huge nascar crash tonight and the pace car burst into flames.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA product is greatly improved? Lebron James, Moses Malone, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant weren't ready for the NBA? They were bad for business?

Injuries? Really you are going to cite injuries? An 18 year old is allowed to get in a car and drive 200 mph crammed on a track with 30 other cars... and you are worried that LeBron James on a fast break is what is to dangerous for this kid? In baseball a projectile is thrown at upwards off 100mph from 60 feet away... 18 year old is ready for that? But don't let him anywhere near Chris Paul? REALLY? wow.

Your entire argument centers around a minor league system. So the NBA just wants to make their predominantly black talent pool play for free for two years in a minor league system they don't sponsor? No doesn't sound racist at all. Tell me again about how dangerous the non college educated Lebron is to these kids... I lost my train of thought watching that huge nascar crash tonight and the pace car burst into flames.

You said it right there, they don't sponsor it so there fore it DOES NOT HELP THEM!!!

Did that Nascar crash involve a driver under the age of 21? Please google reaction times and age...then get back to me.

In the entire history of the NBA there have been 42 players that have come directly from high school. You have named 4 as your argument. And Kobe was a non factor his 1st 2 years. (you should have named dwight)

Injuries in the NBA do not come from LBJ driving the lane, they come from twisting and spinning and pushing your body further than you would in any other situation. If you have ever trained for anything you know there is no catalyst for progression as a superior athlete.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you wanna get rid of the one and done, let them enter out of HS.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss when the NBA allowed HS guys in the draft.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said it right there, they don't sponsor it so there fore it DOES NOT HELP THEM!!!

Did that Nascar crash involve a driver under the age of 21? Please google reaction times and age...then get back to me.

In the entire history of the NBA there have been 42 players that have come directly from high school. You have named 4 as your argument. And Kobe was a non factor his 1st 2 years. (you should have named dwight)

Injuries in the NBA do not come from LBJ driving the lane, they come from twisting and spinning and pushing your body further than you would in any other situation. If you have ever trained for anything you know there is no catalyst for progression as a superior athlete.

Right... I did say it. This idea is at best stupid and at worst racist. the NBA loves its free minor league system. and just because they don't sponsor doesn't mean it doesn't help them. you don't think those 30 gms would just love 2 more years to evaluate talent? it helps some of these guys employed by the nba.

And no the nascar crash wasn't a driver under 21. but your idea of basketball being so dangerous to someone that is 19... but car crashes at 200 + mph is something they can handle.. is at best stupid and at worst borderline retarded.

plenty of guys have come from high school into the NBA and made money. telling a 18 year old they cant make millions is stupid. no one has an issue if its soccer, baseball, tennis, nascar, golf.. all cool. if apple gives a kid a billion dollars for his new website.. awesome. but let some young inner city kid try to make a million playing basketball at 18.. and shit it's just to dangerous.. he may sprain an ankle. your grasping buddy.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if a superior athlete is to dangerous for 18 year olds.. we could always just send them to afghanistan

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flauge...

I think your real issue is with colleges not compensating the players. That is an issue I can agree on. Colleges are making millions off of merchandise off of these kids and they don't get anything from it. That however is not an issue of race. It's pure greed. And greed doesn't care about black, white, or yellow...greed only sees green.

So if you want to have a discussion on what can be done to properly compensate these college athletes then I'm up for it. But I don't see any racism in the NFL and NBA forcing their athletes to stay in college.

I mean come on...when did it become such a bad thing to ensure that a kid gets another year of education and maturation before he takes that next big step.

The NFL especially is a very physical sport and they hold back their athletes for good reasons. Little joe who just turned 18 is not ready to go head to head with a grown Patrick Willis.

As for the NBA's 2 year in college rule I'm fine with it.

You cite names like Lebron, KG, Kobe, etc. but what about all the high school players that never made it, were out of the league within 2-3 seasons and had no college education to show for it.

Looking at it from the stand point of a fan who wants the best product both in the ncaa and nba...holding kids back 2 years in college benefits both.

1) NCAA gets a better product, because their one and done stars play an extra year

2) NBA rookies won't be as raw and will come into the league with a more refined game

As for other leagues like the MLB who scout kids when they're at the age of 14 (some even younger) and sign them when they're like 16...honestly I'm not a fan of that either.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this 'Flauge' character doesn't quite know what racist means.

Are the rules different for white 18 year old basketball players?

Fuckin' dumbass!

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i find this at best stupid and at worse racist. the NFL and the NBA are the only sports that require this minimum age. You can drive in Nascar at 16. Why the age requirements on the two sports that have the most black kids? I get the NBA is trying to protect their free minor league system. But would anybody bat an eye if an 18 year old kid were hired directly from high school to IBM, Microsoft, or Apple and given a 6 figure salary because of his computer skills? No, no problems there.

Millions are on the line.. going to college could blow your knees/ankles.. anything. Take the money while you can young men.

wtf_workaholics.gif

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think people would find it strange if an 18 was hired right from HS given a 6 figure salary. The reason for internships is to gain experience in your field. As far as NBA and NFL these owners are the ones giving away millions of dollars and with little to no minor league system its not surprising they have age limits. As far as the players oh no college gives them a free ride for two years and an education what a travesty someond call the ACLU thier rights are being trampled on.