• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Commish Wants to Raise Min Age

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're doing it to improve the product or didn't you get the memo? I'm not emotional I just get annoyed at blatant stupidity, that's all.

Believe what you must. The world is always out to get you and your people, Montsho.

Thats BS. All they have to do like I have said repeatedly is to not draft borderline prospects. Why is that not an option?

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're doing it to improve the product or didn't you get the memo? I'm not emotional I just get annoyed at blatant stupidity, that's all.

Believe what you must. The world is always out to get you and your people, Montsho.

Improve the product... of the 40 something guys who went from high school to the pros... There are probably 6e hall of famers.. Lebron, Kobe, KG, Dwight, Moses Malone, and TMac. How many NBA drafts can claim 6 hall of famers in 60 picks.. let alone 40 some picks.

This improve the product line is bullshit. It's unprovable. It is at best STUPID.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats BS. All they have to do like I have said repeatedly is to not draft borderline prospects. Why is that not an option?

Because those 'borderline' NBA draft picks obviously possess the talent to be in that position. To not draft them would be a mistake for any GM, because they could become superstars with another team. Nobody wants to be the next Portland Trailblazers.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they don't look like borderline players when they're in college. In college sports, you can get by on athletic ability. So a great athlete can be dominant. Once they go pro, they actually have to master their craft. No player is a finished product when he gets drafted, everyone gets drafted on potential, so making them stay in school another year gives them 60+ games to digest before drafting them. No matter how you try to slice it that's better for the NBA which, again, is all that really matters here as far as they are concerned. But at the end of they day they are doing this because they can. Because it is a privately owned company and they want an age limit just like the company who requires a degree, the company that requires experience, or the company that needs you to speak a foreign language. And again, no one is forcing these kids to go to college. They have choices.

I never claimed it was not better for the NBA. I said the only people losing are the ball players which coincidentally happen to be majority Black. That is racist. Just because its a private company does not make it less racist. They work for free for the colleges. The college wins. They may be more polished for the pros. The Pros win. What do the players get from it other than a very real chance of injury?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When those guys stayed 3-4 years.. were there any draft busts back then? Because something tells me this drafting this has been an inexact science since the beginning and there are just as many draft busts in the 80s as there are today. Just a hunch.

The league suffered because of these boys? Define suffer? Because the NBA seems to becoming widely more popular in alot more countries. The last 30 years has seen the NBA league revenue go from 118 million in the 1982-1983 season to 4.6 billion last year. So if by suffer you mean the league has seen a 38 times increase in their revenue in 30 years, then yes.. those poor billionaire owners are really suffering. Poor guys... how do they survive with only a 3798% return on investment.

Of course there were draft busts but they were making a couple hundred grand a year, not millions. They also used to have more rounds so there were far more drafted players that never made it. But I'm sure the percentage of 1st round busts are higher today than they were.

Being more popular doesn't mean it's better. Making more money doesn't mean it's better. These young guys who aren't ready come in and usually bump a vet that might actually contribute. It leads to the teams overall not being as deep and as good as they used to be. You used to have to be good to even get a spot on the team, now kids start because of their paycheck. It's absurd.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because those 'borderline' NBA draft picks obviously possess the talent to be in that position. To not draft them would be a mistake for any GM, because they could become superstars with another team. Nobody wants to be the next Portland Trailblazers.

Now you are not making sense. If its so bad to draft unproven players why is it not smart to refrain from doing so? How can it be considered a mistake because they could become superstars? You are not drafting them for the same reasons a age limit would make them ineligible. You are all over the place. Can you give me a better reason than that?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the numbers tell us most B-ball players are Black then yes it does discriminate which makes it racist. Now you have a situation where the Black kids have to make money for the colleges for yet another year without being paid.

No, it does not make it racist. It applies to everyone, black, white, Hispanic, everyone. And frankly, calling this racist is an insult to people who have been victim's of real racism.

Who told you NFL practice squads only have 5-6 players? They have up to eight and yes it works like a farm system. The only difference is they are free to sign with another NFL team if not picked up by the one they are on. I'm not saying its about keeping Black kids out. I'm talking about delaying the time when they can cash in on their skills. During this time they are making millions for the colleges.

It's not even close to a farm system. If you want to see a real farm system, look at MLB. That's a farm system.

This goes back to my earlier point. If the player is not ready the the teams should not draft them. Its pretty simple. Raising the age limit is keeping players from making money. Why penalize the player instead of the team?

I don't have a problem with kids coming straight out of high school to the NBA. I think that if a player is good enough to play in the NBA straight out of high school and a team drafts him, he should be able to play.

If the player isn't drafted and doesn't want to go to college, then overseas should be an option as well as the D-League.

If the player accepts the scholarship, then he should be required to play 2 years in college.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course there were draft busts but they were making a couple hundred grand a year, not millions. They also used to have more rounds so there were far more drafted players that never made it. But I'm sure the percentage of 1st round busts are higher today than they were.

Being more popular doesn't mean it's better. Making more money doesn't mean it's better. These young guys who aren't ready come in and usually bump a vet that might actually contribute. It leads to the teams overall not being as deep and as good as they used to be. You used to have to be good to even get a spot on the team, now kids start because of their paycheck. It's absurd.

You keep missing the point though. Why are the teams drafting them then? Dont draft them if they are going to be projects.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with kids coming straight out of high school to the NBA. I think that if a player is good enough to play in the NBA straight out of high school and a team drafts him, he should be able to play.

If the player isn't drafted and doesn't want to go to college, then overseas should be an option as well as the D-League.

If the player accepts the scholarship, then he should be required to play 2 years in college.

If they come out of high school they are usually 17-18 and not available to be drafted. Why should they spend 2 years at school making the schools millions instead of making money for themselves?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never claimed it was not better for the NBA. I said the only people losing are the ball players which coincidentally happen to be majority Black. That is racist. Just because its a private company does not make it less racist. They work for free for the colleges. The college wins. They may be more polished for the pros. The Pros win. What do the players get from it other than a very real chance of injury?

The kids choose to play for them. This is not slavery. They don't have to go to college, they can play over seas. Canada has a league, I bet they would let some of this talent in. They have choices including doing something else with their life than play a game. What they get is an education, take it or leave it. If they go over seas then they make money, they "win" and the college loses.

So how is a coincidence that they happen to be black but it's also racist? The fact that you understand that they happen to be black should tell you that they aren't purposefully doing this to black people.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep missing the point though. Why are the teams drafting them then? Dont draft them if they are going to be projects.

EVERYONE IS A PROJECT!!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they come out of high school they are usually 17-18 and not available to be drafted. Why should they spend 2 years at school making the schools millions instead of making money for themselves?

What part of "if they are good enough to be drafted out of high school they should be able to be drafted" do you not understand?

If they choose to accept a scholarship, they are essentially signing a contract and they should have to stay for 2 years. Not a difficult concept.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Europe

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kids choose to play for them. This is not slavery. They don't have to go to college, they can play over seas. Canada has a league, I bet they would let some of this talent in. They have choices including doing something else with their life than play a game. What they get is an education, take it or leave it. If they go over seas then they make money, they "win" and the college loses.

So how is a coincidence that they happen to be black but it's also racist? The fact that you understand that they happen to be black should tell you that they aren't purposefully doing this to black people.

No one claimed slavery. I said it is racist since it affects primarily Black players. Jim Crow was racist and it did not involve "slavery". Black people willingly worked for lower wages than whites because they simply had no choice. Same thing here. They are working for the colleges and they are not getting equitable return. You saying take it or leave it sounds just like what a white person would say to a Black person back in the days of Jim Crow. It may or may not be purposeful which is not my claim. My claim is that the policy has the net affect of keeping those Black kids that are ready working for free for the colleges and forgoing yet another year at hitting pay dirt for all the hard work put into becoming ball players. Thats racist.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you are not making sense. If its so bad to draft unproven players why is it not smart to refrain from doing so? How can it be considered a mistake because they could become superstars? You are not drafting them for the same reasons a age limit would make them ineligible. You are all over the place. Can you give me a better reason than that?

Dear God, you're hopeless. These kids having the opportunity to have at least two years of high level coaching in college and an education, doesn't make them better equipped to come right in and be effective in the NBA?

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part of "if they are good enough to be drafted out of high school they should be able to be drafted" do you not understand?

If they choose to accept a scholarship, they are essentially signing a contract and they should have to stay for 2 years. Not a difficult concept.

The part were the age limit is stopping that from happening?

The terms of a contract can be renegotiated. its not set in stone if both parties agree to let it go.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear God, you're hopeless. These kids having the opportunity to have at least two years of high level coaching in college and an education, doesn't make them better equipped to come right in and be effective in the NBA?

Stop whining and talk. Wouldnt 2 years at pro level coaching be better than 2 years at the collegiate level? It may or may not make them more effective but it will certainly expose them to more chance of an injury and possibly miss out on the pros. So far it only sounds like you are worried about what the NBA gets out of it.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my question. If the NBA is predominantly black athletes, isn't the NBA racist?

There are a disproportionate number of black to white athletes. Sounds like racism, all these owners only want black players ya know.

WOuld it solve montsho and Flauge's problem if the NBA was 50:50 white to black? Does that make it not racist?