• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy IRONy out of Pittsburgh

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of surprised on Shero. He gave the coach the tools to get it done, coach just didn't.

Can't real blame Shero for not having the goalie he needed. He had Vokoun and Tomas had health problems.

I tell you what, if Shero hits the open market Vancouver and Washington will be fighting in a steel cage for him.

I think he's pretty overrated, though I do like his organizing skills and he does things the right way. I'm not sure of his drafting and assessment abilities at times though.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's quite possible the scenario was this: Shero was told after the series that Dan must be fired. If Ray refused, then that's what got his own ass fired.

Plus adding to what you pointed out about drafts FA etc...

I've seen people say that, but again: WHY would they ONLY fire Shero?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this: the draft is a reflection of more than the GM. A LOT more. If you're upset at the draft, overhaul the scouts.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen people say that, but again: WHY would they ONLY fire Shero?

Maybe to play keep away as long as they want from other teams hiring him??? Or like I said earlier before Dejan...following protocol and let GM do the dirty deed?

I agree with you though, he should have been fired today along with his good buddy Ray.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holtby has tools, but either his coach isn't smoothing out his edges or he isn't listening. One or the other. Until he stops his good to bad game swings he will be average to slightly above.

Fleury is well above average.

Rask is elite.

Holtby struggled this year partly because of what the coaches were having him do. They wanted the goalies to sit back more, cover the rebound opportunties, etc. I don't think Holtby was comfortable with it and it showed. And I don't think it's the way you coach a goalie when you see the goalies that are aggressive are the most successful goalies in the NHL, especially in the playoffs. I personally don't think it makes sense, nor do I think it fits Holtby well. Hopefully that changes with a new GM and coach.

I agree Holtby is still unproven, but also disagree Fleury is above average except when it comes to being overpaid.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to defend Ray Ray a little on the draft. I think the Pens have a similar problem as the Wings. They don't draft high anymore, so the "can't miss"-ness of picks isn't there. And the Pens roster is tough to crack for a young kid. It's a tough choice for a team, do you bring a high potential guy up to play fourth line/third pair minutes, or do you put them in the AHL and let them play top minutes to get conditioned?

The WB Pens are a good team and have been for a while. Just because there is no major impact on the NHL roster yet, doesn't mean he's completely blown the drafts. He does show a tendency to draft D, which could be a painful situation down the road. But looking at the D the Pens have at the NHL level, I can see why young D-men are not getting their shot. They were proven to be too slow this playoffs, and that needs changed. But they have some solid D in the minors that could have similar impacts to Mattaa.

Derick Pouliot was +40 with the Portland Winterhawks this year. With 70pts in 58 games. Philip Samuelsson was +17 in WB with 66 pts in 64 games this year.

Where he's picking, he's wasn't doing bad.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard he was recently demoted.

Oh wait... are we talking about Torts?

;)

#busting43sballs

I was demoted? No one told me.

I am still a better coach then whoever is screwing Holtby up. :whistle:

OH MY GOD the Caps goalie coach is Olie? WTF? He's actually a good goalie. I thought were using someone like Mike Liut or Jim Hrivnak.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am still a better coach then whoever is screwing Holtby up. :whistle:

OH MY GOD the Caps goalie coach is Olie? WTF? He's actually a good goalie. I thought were using someone like Mike Liut or Jim Hrivnak.

the bad goalies make the best coaches

"here you look at this video.

its you coach

I know... dont do that

ok coach"

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was referencing that time you went down a level and told the guy 'yeah, sure, I don't care.'

I don't know - it was a story from a long time ago. About bureaucracy, and Columbus hockey, and a little about dinosaurs.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the bad goalies make the best coaches

"here you look at this video.

its you coach

I know... dont do that

ok coach"

Definitely some truth to that. Sometimes the successful/most talented guys have a harder time relating to guys with less skill (see gretzky, jordan), whereas the mediocre/failed guys understand what they wish someone had taught them.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referencing that time you went down a level and told the guy 'yeah, sure, I don't care.'

I don't know - it was a story from a long time ago. About bureaucracy, and Columbus hockey, and a little about dinosaurs.

Fucking lawyers. Never forget anything.

I was already assistant coach, by the way. They just screwed up the site, listed me as head coach and then said I couldn't be.

Well, I wasn't.

Fucking lawyers. Never understand anything.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike Liut is insulted that his name is in the same sentence as Jim Hrivnak.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Liut is insulted that his name is in the same sentence as Jim Hrivnak.

Should I have gone with Rick Tabaracci?

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to defend Ray Ray a little on the draft. I think the Pens have a similar problem as the Wings. They don't draft high anymore, so the "can't miss"-ness of picks isn't there. And the Pens roster is tough to crack for a young kid. It's a tough choice for a team, do you bring a high potential guy up to play fourth line/third pair minutes, or do you put them in the AHL and let them play top minutes to get conditioned?

The WB Pens are a good team and have been for a while. Just because there is no major impact on the NHL roster yet, doesn't mean he's completely blown the drafts. He does show a tendency to draft D, which could be a painful situation down the road. But looking at the D the Pens have at the NHL level, I can see why young D-men are not getting their shot. They were proven to be too slow this playoffs, and that needs changed. But they have some solid D in the minors that could have similar impacts to Mattaa.

Derick Pouliot was +40 with the Portland Winterhawks this year. With 70pts in 58 games. Philip Samuelsson was +17 in WB with 66 pts in 64 games this year.

Where he's picking, he's wasn't doing bad.
So why on earth does Shero go out before the season starts and sign Scuderi to a 4yr deal worth over 13mil? Why does D-man Simon Despres rot in the minors for the last few years when he could have been much cheaper than Scuds. Now Despres is a restricted FA and who knows if he'll be brought back.

D-man Derek Engelland played a little on the 4th line this season. Why is that happening? Robert Bortuzzo has been givin more of an opportunity than Despres has, but Borts isn't nearly the skater or puck mover than Simon is.

I get letting guys get conditioned a little bit in the AHL. But when you're playing guys like Craig Adams and Tanner Glass together on the 4th line, how much worse can it get bringing in younger fresher guys who are hungry to stay at the top level? Bylsma's more worried about getting 2pts in Decmber than winning in the playoffs. That's why 19yr old Mattaa petered out down the stretch.

More than likely Orpik won't be brought back and Scuds gets sent to the minors. That way they can let some of these young D-men have a chance.