• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College Football’s Most Valuable Teams 2018

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid point in my opinion- may I add:
Free hair cuts or stylist
XBox consoles in locker rooms & athletic lounge
Airline mileage awards on uncharted flights.
Free food 24/7

There is more pile it on.
Bowl game swag

LongTimeSooner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it is, by a large margin actually. If you take all of the scholarship athletes on a college campus and look at the value they bring the school as compared to the value of what they're getting with their scholarship packages, the overwhelming majority of student athletes are significantly overpaid. All of that money brought in by basketball and football teams (actual revenue sports) are brought in largely due to a small number of elite players. The 8th man on Duke's bench and the 4th string RG at Alabama aren't bringing in shit with their own personal performances, but they're making out like bandits in compensation.

And this is why your argument is so incredibly ignorant.
I don't understand the point you're making.

Paying fair wages isn't needed because only 11 guys are allowed on the field?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically. So if you want to pay all athletes, get ready for schools to basically trim their athletic departments down to football and basketball and that's it.

That might be worth it if it would effectively kill soccer in the US. I'm tired of hearing about that shit being "the sport of the future." It's been that for the last forty years.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go look up what it costs to build one of those state of the art athletic facilities. Go look how much it costs to not only build but maintain and renovate these massive stadiums. Are you gonna tell me a backup catcher on the baseball team that barely plays, who's getting a full ride and all of the additional benefits brought by their scholarship package, deserves to also get paid a salary? Please.
And most of those facilities are donated. That's why we have the "Ross academic center" and "Ross athletic campus".

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though the cash value of a football player's scholarship at Stanford is worth several multiples more than the kid at Western Michigan. But we won't go there...

No, that would be expected, and you can assume that the players getting full rides to Stanford are several multiples better than the kids at Western Michigan.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might be worth it if it would effectively kill soccer in the US. I'm tired of hearing about that shit being "the sport of the future." It's been that for the last forty years.
LOL - Soccer is for the guys that can't make the football team.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn’t it funny how the fans of the richest schools want to be able to buy up all the best players?

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:hat:

10. Florida Gators
Revenue: $111 million
Profit: $67 million

Gators football was largely responsible for Florida’s athletic department transferring nearly $17 million back to the university in the 2016-17 season, the biggest such contribution toward academics made by any athletic department at a public school on our list.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And most of those facilities are donated. That's why we have the "Ross academic center" and "Ross athletic campus".
Some of them are, but even the naming rights doesn't mean you're paying for the entire thing. There are donation tiers for those sorts of things.

At any rate though, It's not like all of this money earned from football is just being divided among a few higher ups. Sure, the elite coaches and ADs are paid a lot, but for fuck's sake, those guys live, eat, breath, and sleep sports 24/7/365. CFB coaches and ADs aren't just suddenly going to be happy making 25% of their current salaries just to pacify some greedy kids.

Paying college athletes isn't a slippery slope, it's swan-diving off a cliff. You're going to have players at every school pissed that someone else is making more than them, or pissed that the amount isn't enough. What's enough for right now could end up being an insult to players 5 years from now.

As I said at first, there hasn't been a single platform for paying players that has been presented that's even remotely feasible without other universities basically having to drop certain athletic teams, if not athletics altogether. We saw UAB's athletics go under a few years ago and they weren't even paying players. Imagine what happens to them and the dozens of other schools like them who are barely able to make ends meet when it comes to athletic budgets. It's just a horrible idea all around.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of football and men's basketball, I couldn't name 5 other scholarship athletes in all of the other sports combined at Ohio State.
Snyder graduated, right? I was only able to think of 4 OSU hockey players off the top of my head.

So, yeah... Can't think of 5 non basketball and football players

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of our best soccer players are foreigners anyway.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snyder graduated, right? I was only able to think of 4 OSU hockey players off the top of my head.

So, yeah... Can't think of 5 non basketball and football players
You could tell me Kyle Snyder was 22 or 27, I'd have no idea. You're obviously a hockey fan, which I am not.

Reactions: gob

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could tell me Kyle Snyder was 22 or 27, I'd have no idea. You're obviously a hockey fan, which I am not.
Wait...I know 5 hockey players.
Romeo, Jobst, Dakota Johnson (I believe), Laczyski (I know I spelled that wrong), Preston

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait...I know 5 hockey players.
Romeo, Jobst, Dakota Johnson (I believe), Laczyski (I know I spelled that wrong), Preston
Dakota Johnson is the chick from those BDSM films. Fifty shades of Grey

Reactions: gob

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of them are, but even the naming rights doesn't mean you're paying for the entire thing. There are donation tiers for those sorts of things.

At any rate though, It's not like all of this money earned from football is just being divided among a few higher ups. Sure, the elite coaches and ADs are paid a lot, but for fuck's sake, those guys live, eat, breath, and sleep sports 24/7/365. CFB coaches and ADs aren't just suddenly going to be happy making 25% of their current salaries just to pacify some greedy kids.

Paying college athletes isn't a slippery slope, it's swan-diving off a cliff. You're going to have players at every school pissed that someone else is making more than them, or pissed that the amount isn't enough. What's enough for right now could end up being an insult to players 5 years from now.

As I said at first, there hasn't been a single platform for paying players that has been presented that's even remotely feasible without other universities basically having to drop certain athletic teams, if not athletics altogether. We saw UAB's athletics go under a few years ago and they weren't even paying players. Imagine what happens to them and the dozens of other schools like them who are barely able to make ends meet when it comes to athletic budgets. It's just a horrible idea all around.
Put it this way, the math just doesn't compute for me when you could pay Alabama's 85 scholarship roster $100k a year and it would be less than Saban's salary alone...by a million bucks.

I think the only argument against paying college football players directly is title IX. Which is a tricky one. But one that could be overcome with legislation should the NCAA support it. But why would they? They're the ones making bank.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put it this way, the math just doesn't compute for me when you could pay Alabama's 85 scholarship roster $100k a year and it would be less than Saban's salary alone...by a million bucks.

I think the only argument against paying college football players directly is title IX. Which is a tricky one. But one that could be overcome with legislation should the NCAA support it. But why would they? They're the ones making bank.
The CEO of my former employer made $4.8 mil the final year I was there. If he donated $1.8 mil of his salary and split it up amongst the number of sales reps at the company, the ones working 65 hour weeks, traveling away from family and missing big events, busting their asses to hit budget numbers, filling out spreadsheets, working on bids, answering emails at 10:00 at night, and doing everything else we did, we could've all made an extra $14k+ per year. He didn't. You could do this with every single company out there, since you want the NCAA to work like a company, and it isn't happening.

It's capitalism. It's what's made football the most popular sport in the nation - work harder than the next guy, put in your time, prove your worth, and make millions. Again, these kids are free to not go play college football and live their lives however they want. The overwhelming number of D1 kids playing football aren't the ones bringing in millions every year, and a significantly lower number of them will make sustainable money in the pros. However, they have a free education and nearly limitless networking opportunities from their playing days to get great careers, and if they're open to it, learn a lot along the way. As a kid who paid every penny of his college himself, I can say I'd have given my left nut to have been able to do that.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Just how good of an old boy (or girl) you are is proportional to how much money you give to the university."

You can be a 100% ruthless, unethical jackass...but if you leave your beloved school enough money...........

Gohogs14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Razorbacks have reported average annual meal costs of $1.3 million, third-most among college football teams.

And people wonder why Bielema left Wisconsin to come here