• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College Athlete Compensation

Shouel they get paid?

• NO. Free education is enough

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Have a bake sale

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Give them a small stipend

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Pay them! They are the ones bringing the school money.

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
If a player is good enough to be drafted out of high school, let the NFL do so. As for the rest the NFL should keep it's nose out of college ball till the kids graduate. There are certain rules and guidlines the college players have to live by (like living in the dorms). Agree to it or don't go to college. This I/me/mine/bullshit is a little over the top coming from these kids.

I agree a HS kid IF drafted and wanted by an NFL team should have a right to go earn a living in any fashion he chooses too and bi-pass college with no penalty.

IF a kid signs a "4 year letter of intent" then it should be treated as a "binding contractual agreement" between two parties and upheld till the end of such agreement. That would include that the student athlete stay in college the entire time, have passing grades AND the school is obligated to their side of the said agreement also, no early termination either, medical liability for a said period of time or other payout agreement. BOTH SIDES are locked in so to speak. If athletes are employees, then treat em a such and compensate them as agreed too also.

As for any additional compensation between the 2 parties, that remains to be seen. I hope NorWest guys vote for a specialized union and this issue gets resolved quicker than latter.

Time to level out the playing field a bit, good for all I say.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this might be a little too radical, but stay with me here....

i think, to compensate players, if they are good enough, and the school is willing to, they should let them attend that school for free!

Also give them free food, money for clothes and if they live outside the dorms give them an allowance for housing too.

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has disaster written all over it. First and foremost, there isn't and has never been one football player who was ready for the NFL out of high school. Not Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Adrian Peterson, etc, etc and so on who were ready. The NFL is a different kind of animal compared to the MLB, NHL and NBA. The majority of players who play CFB aren't even NFL material, so there is no need to pay them beforehand, since 95% will never see an NFL contract. Plus, just think about it if you pay these student/athletes thousands of dollars: there will be more partying and drug use than you have ever seen before. I would pay the regular student before I would pay student/athletes b/c the regular student will be contributing back to the school more than the college football player ever will when they contribute to the school's endowment after graduating, which is much more than what sports will ever bring in.

I'm agreeing with this fag.

A kid walking just out of high school to try and play in the NFL would get murdered. That isn't an understatement either, his body would take an absolute PUNISHMENT and wouldn't be able to handle it.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also give them free food, money for clothes and if they live outside the dorms give them an allowance for housing too.

wow, i thought i was being extreme...this really pushes the limits, but i like it!

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I hear the NCAAs M Emmert saying, "This will be the end of college sports as we know it..."

All I can smell is a rat.

I hope NorWest players have the balls to vote for union just to get the gears rolling on this issue alone. Once that is done, change will happen in some way thru balanced negotiations.

I'm with you about 90% of the time but here you and I differ. The cost of a college education right now is so much money it's scary. I'm against almost any change. Not saying things can't be done but I think the scholarship speaks for itself, after all it is school not the minor leagues.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all kids of awful. Just letting schools pay players with no restrictions whatsoever would be less bad.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this might be a little too radical, but stay with me here....

i think, to compensate players, if they are good enough, and the school is willing to, they should let them attend that school for free!

I'm with you on this one.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm agreeing with this fag.

A kid walking just out of high school to try and play in the NFL would get murdered. That isn't an understatement either, his body would take an absolute PUNISHMENT and wouldn't be able to handle it.
-------
So why does professional baseball allow it, professional basketball allow it, even pro hockey allow it?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those sports are in the ball park of physical demand and stress on your body as football.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about we drop college football and these unions can start a minor league.

It's obvious these kids want to get paid and education is meaningless to them.

End it. I will survive watching OUs other student-athlete compete.

Might become a fan of one of those minor league union teams too. When over 90% of them don't make the nfl after 3 years, guess they can fall back as bouncers at clubs or working construction or whatever and the ones smart enough to save what little they make can pay for tuition if they wanna go to college.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching Dan Patrick this morning as he interviewed former Notre Dame wide receiver and current Chicago Cubs pitcher Jeff Samardzija. He was asked about the unionization at Northwestern.

Basically he said that he isn't very familiar with all of the in's and out's of that particular situation, but that it could help towards compensation for players.

The idea he came up was basically this: Football careers tend to be much shorter than in any other sport. Because of this, he feels that they should be able to "cash in" sooner. The idea was that if a player is good enough to be drafted out of high school by an NFL team, he should be able to be drafted, but still play in college. Any bonus money could be deferred.

Obviously this is a very basic idea that if implemented would need to be thought out a lot farther and the many obvious potential issues addressed, but it seems a good place to start.

One thing I think would need to be addressed would be to maintain the "student" aspect of "student/athlete". Perhaps a stipulation that if a player is dismissed for academic and/or legal issues, the bonus money is returned back to the NFL team could be included. In fact, the bonus could be set up in a trust that is only payable when the player leaves college for the NFL or if he suffers a career ending injury while in college.

Thoughts?

This is very unlikely and kind of meaningless. Football is all about development. Very few kids are even remotely NFL ready at 17-18. Basically just talking about a couple skill players. Clowney might be the only linemen I can think of that would apply. Biggest hurdle would be the NFL. They would never want to take the risk of watching their money playing in college.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My solution to paying players:

1. Pay each scholarship player a stipend of $300/month ($3,600/year).
2. Injured players get to keep their scholarships + stipend without counting toward team scholarship limits.
3. Players who complete their degree within 5 years and have at least a 3.5 GPA get two years of additional scholarship for grad school. No time limit on when the graduate school scholarship can be used. (This allows players to play pro ball or do something else and then come back for a graduate degree when they choose. It's a very valuable new benefit and the parents would love it.)
4. A scholarship athlete who graduates without any arrests gets a "good citizenship" bonus of $5,000.
5. Up to 15 walkons/year can be given 50% of the stipend and bonus benefits as outlined above.
6. Unlimited meals for scholarship and walkon players.
7. Up to $2,000 travel assistance given to each scholarship athlete/year to visit parent(s) or guardian.
8. Each scholarship athlete must have at least a 2.5 GPA to receive benefits in the following semester.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2. Injured players get to keep their scholarships + stipend without counting toward team scholarship limits.
3. Players who complete their degree within 5 years and have at least a 3.5 GPA get two years of additional scholarship for grad school. No time limit on when the graduate school scholarship can be used. (This allows players to play pro ball or do something else and then come back for a graduate degree when they choose. It's a very valuable new benefit and the parents would love it.)
4. A scholarship athlete who graduates without any arrests gets a "good citizenship" bonus of $5,000.
5. Up to 15 walkons/year can be given 50% of the stipend and bonus benefits as outlined above.
7. Up to $2,000 travel assistance given to each scholarship athlete/year to visit parent(s) or guardian.
8. Each scholarship athlete must have at least a 2.5 GPA to receive benefits in the following semester.

Good read...Hop[e] Emmert is a Hoop poster or is listening.:clap:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about we drop college football and these unions can start a minor league.

It's obvious these kids want to get paid and education is meaningless to them.

End it. I will survive watching OUs other student-athlete compete.

Might become a fan of one of those minor league union teams too. When over 90% of them don't make the nfl after 3 years, guess they can fall back as bouncers at clubs or working construction or whatever and the ones smart enough to save what little they make can pay for tuition if they wanna go to college.

Well, there's always intramural flag football, that is competitive and neat to play as a student only athlete.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Totally in agreement with this. I definitely like the no arrests and maintaining a 2.5 GPA stipulations......

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great idea.

/end thread.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever happened to just leaving an envelope full in his locker?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.... I always say.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would this be for all scholarship athletes, or just football and basketball players. And would all schools have to pay this, or just the ones who show a profit for the athletic department.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I don't think anyone should be allowed to enter the NFL right out of high school, that's a bad idea. What I'd be open to is reducing the number of years you have to be in college. If after either true sophomore year, or rs freshman year you'd be good enough to be a first round draft pick, you're free to go if you choose.

I still think the NCAA needs to add incentive to graduating. Such a small percentage go on to play professional football(or any other sport for that matter). I like goldbug's idea, they would smart solutions.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would this be for all scholarship athletes, or just football and basketball players. And would all schools have to pay this, or just the ones who show a profit for the athletic department.

It would be for all FBS schools. If a school thought they couldn't afford it they could drop down a level. But pencil it out; it's not that expensive for schools taking in millions and millions of dollars.

I forgot to include one more thing. The new rules would only be in force for up to 5 sports at each school. No more. It could be for less if the school wanted but not for more than 5 sports. Since we're stuck with all the Title IX bullshit each school would have to include at least 1 (probably more) women's sport to be safe. All schools would probably pick football and most schools would pick men's basketball. Some schools might pick baseball. Others might pick wrestling or track. A fair number of schools would pick women's softball and women's basketball. It would allow a school to control it's own destiny to a great degree. No one would be forced to pick any particular sport other than the peer pressure of wanting to field competitive teams in sports they emphasized. All other sports would have the same rules as now except improved food service for all scholarship players and walkons.