• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching News From Around the League

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Any thoughts as to where the team would look for replacing potential losses? I gave it some consideration today, but really wasn't sure. Some have speculated they may just promote from within if, say, Gamble and Roman head elsewhere. Would Baalke look outside the organization for front office help? Might Harbaugh consider bringing someone from Stanford, like Pep Hamilton (if he were interested), for example?

My first GUESS would be that I could see Harbaugh and company shuffling responsibilities around and keeping things in house if Roman leaves. Chryst or Solari (maybe Drevno) could be asked to help fill in the gap a little bit. Solari and Drevno are both OL coaches. Chryst is the QBs coach and was credited last year with calling all the plays during the 2-minute drill in the Saints playoff game last year and the majority of the beat writers looked at that and said it could be a glimpse into what the 49ers might do if they lost Roman down the road.

Harbaugh's been pretty quiet on the structure and the company line has always been that it's been a collective effort. Things come from everyone, though I do think there is a set, soft structure when you get down to the bare bones. Roman's baby is supposedly the run game stuff. That's where he excels the best. I'm not saying he's not involved in the passing game, that would be silly, but his baby or expertise is his masterful work in the run game.

Chryst would probably be my first guess if Harbaugh didn't want to be THE main play-caller.

MANY people in the NFL have wondered about Solari as a possible offensive coordinator but he's an OL guru and the 49ers may want to keep him there.

Tim Drevno is also an OL coach and that's why I suggested, and have seen others suggest that he could take on more responsibility because the 49ers have Solari and wouldn't have to rock the boat with that group so much I wouldn't think?

Pep Hamilton was one of my favorite young assistants in the NFL when Nolan hired him back when he was around. He was on alot of people's lists as one of the up-and-coming coaches in the NFL before he went to the Bears and then Stanford. I would think some would suggest him again but he'd be down the list of guys I would suggest after the 49ers own coaches and Harbaugh himself for sure. I've often wondered if Pep is waiting around to be a college HC as well. Not sure he'd even be willing to make that jump now.

I don't think they'd move John Morton away from the WR group. He has passing game experience, in addition to his work with WRs but I just don't see that being likely.

Lots of people have suggested Tom Rathman as a possible OC down the road for somebody but he's very valuable with the RBs in Harbaugh's system and reportedly does very good work there. Not sure if they'd want to rock the boat there either.

So in closing my main guess is they would look to shuffle things around in house and keep it as much of a collaborative thing as possible. Chryst could be the first guy in line to get a bump up in responsibilities, though.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm really starting to dislike how the offseason is shaping up.

Ian Rapoport:

Asked two sources whether the #Browns like Chip Kelly or Doug Marrone more: "They are deciding." Was told neck-&-neck. #Staytuned

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jay Glazer:

Panthers and Browns have requested permission to interview Vikings asst GM George Paton for GM. He's scheduled to meet w Panthers next week

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ian Rapoport:

Bears will interview Montreal Alouettes coach Marc Trestman. #wildcard #Canada

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kevin Acee (Chargers):

Seems like it's down to Jimmy Raye & Tom Telesco as possible GMs, though hearing Steve Keim (interviewing today) is friend of John Spanos.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
My first GUESS would be that I could see Harbaugh and company shuffling responsibilities around and keeping things in house if Roman leaves. Chryst or Solari (maybe Drevno) could be asked to help fill in the gap a little bit. Solari and Drevno are both OL coaches. Chryst is the QBs coach and was credited last year with calling all the plays during the 2-minute drill in the Saints playoff game last year and the majority of the beat writers looked at that and said it could be a glimpse into what the 49ers might do if they lost Roman down the road.

Harbaugh's been pretty quiet on the structure and the company line has always been that it's been a collective effort. Things come from everyone, though I do think there is a set, soft structure when you get down to the bare bones. Roman's baby is supposedly the run game stuff. That's where he excels the best. I'm not saying he's not involved in the passing game, that would be silly, but his baby or expertise is his masterful work in the run game.

Chryst would probably be my first guess if Harbaugh didn't want to be THE main play-caller.

MANY people in the NFL have wondered about Solari as a possible offensive coordinator but he's an OL guru and the 49ers may want to keep him there.

Tim Drevno is also an OL coach and that's why I suggested, and have seen others suggest that he could take on more responsibility because the 49ers have Solari and wouldn't have to rock the boat with that group so much I wouldn't think?

Pep Hamilton was one of my favorite young assistants in the NFL when Nolan hired him back when he was around. He was on alot of people's lists as one of the up-and-coming coaches in the NFL before he went to the Bears and then Stanford. I would think some would suggest him again but he'd be down the list of guys I would suggest after the 49ers own coaches and Harbaugh himself for sure. I've often wondered if Pep is waiting around to be a college HC as well. Not sure he'd even be willing to make that jump now.

I don't think they'd move John Morton away from the WR group. He has passing game experience, in addition to his work with WRs but I just don't see that being likely.

Lots of people have suggested Tom Rathman as a possible OC down the road for somebody but he's very valuable with the RBs in Harbaugh's system and reportedly does very good work there. Not sure if they'd want to rock the boat there either.

So in closing my main guess is they would look to shuffle things around in house and keep it as much of a collaborative thing as possible. Chryst could be the first guy in line to get a bump up in responsibilities, though.

Chryst was the only guy on the staff I really acknowledged as being a potential replacement if Roman takes a HC job. Not that I know the inner workings of the coaching staff, but like you mentioned, the write-ups after the Saints game last year suggested expanding his role in the future was possible. It probably makes more sense than bringing in someone new and trying to plug them in as one of the leaders on offense. Adding a new name somewhere on the staff might be interesting to me, though.

I feel less confident trying to guess how they would compensate for the loss of Gamble. I've heard that the team may adjust by picking up the slack with one of the in-house guys, like Ethan Waugh or Matt Malaspina, but I'm really not sure. I have trouble keeping track of connections between front office personnel throughout the league to speculate beyond that.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, I guess it's better than bolting straight for Jacksonville because there's at least still a SLIGHT chance he stays, but it's looking like he's a shoe-in for the Jets job.

Adam Schefter: Jaguars have narrowed their GM search to two finalists: Cardinals exec Steve Keim and Falcons exec Dave Caldwell.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter:

Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross interviewing today for the Chargers GM job.

Gamble (SF) and Ross would probably be the first two guys on my list if I had to try to bring somebody in. Keim and Dorsey would not be far behind. Sheesh. My favorites list on the coaching side is about to take a big hit this offseason and my personnel favorite list is going to take a MASSIVE hit as well it looks like.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like Atlanta dodged a decent sized bullet.

Eagles target Chip Kelly appears headed to Browns

Aside from O'Brien, the Eagles have already interviewed Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and Falcons special-teams coordinator Keith Armstrong. Neither is expected to be a serious contender.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Reuben Frank:

OK, now THIS is interesting. I'm told by league source Eagles still planning to meet tomorrow with McCoy and Marrone. So there's that.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's a tad frustrating that after only two years of success, the niners could lose a good chunk of coaching/front office talent. But it is a business after all.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter:

Filed to ESPN: Doug Marrone has agreed to leave Syracuse and become the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter:

Bears asked for and received permission to interview Texans OC Rick Dennison for HC job. Dennison worked with Cutler and Marshall in Denver.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ian Rapoport: How are #Eagles selling Chip Kelly? 1. Personnel similar to Oregon (short, fast WRs). 2. QBs to run his system (Foles, Vick with a new deal)

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tom Gamble, 49ers director of player personnel, is front-runner to replace former NY Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum, according to sources - NY Daily News

Less than a week after Woody Johnson fired Mike Tannenbaum, the Jets are zeroing in on a new general manager.

Tom Gamble, the 49ers director of player personnel, is the front-runner to replace Tannenbaum, according to sources.

The Jets interviewed Falcons director of player personnel David Caldwell on Friday and are scheduled to bring in Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross on Monday as the Rooney Rule-satisfying candidate.

Packers executive John Dorsey and Jets assistant general manager Scott Cohen are also on the short list, but Gamble, who reportedly turned down a second interview for the Jaguars’ GM vacancy, appears to be their top choice.

Gamble, who interviewed for the Jets’ job in New Jersey on Saturday, would be the best fit for an organization that wants the new GM to inherit Rex Ryan. Gamble has known Ryan for more than two decades dating back to when their fathers worked for the Eagles. He helped stock the 49ers with nine 2012 Pro Bowlers and shares a defense-first, run-heavy philosophy with Ryan.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jason La Canfora:

Add the Cardinals to Jay Gruden's dance card. The Eagles also plan to interview the Bengals offensice coordinator this week

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Chris Mortensen:

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and execs are headed back to Browns. Sources say they will reboot coach search without Chip Kelly in the fold.

Michael Lombardi said the decision will come soon and that it's between Oregon and the Eagles. Lombardi is close to Kelly and nobody that I have seen has pushed Kelly harder for a job than Lombardi so I assume he's got an in with some of Kelly's thoughts.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Chris Mortensen:

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and execs are headed back to Browns. Sources say they will reboot coach search without Chip Kelly in the fold.

Michael Lombardi said the decision will come soon and that it's between Oregon and the Eagles. Lombardi is close to Kelly and nobody that I have seen has pushed Kelly harder for a job than Lombardi so I assume he's got an in with some of Kelly's thoughts.

It would be bizarre to see Kelly back on the sidelines of Oregon, if that's how it turns out. Maybe just because everyone has been assuming and following him so closely the last week or so.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
JLC:

Hearing issues of roster control/overall power were always major issues to resolve in pursuit of Chip Kelly. We'll see if/when he leaves

Mort:

Obviously, this is down to Oregon or Eagles for Chip Kelly, based on what we know. Majority of league folks believe Oregon. Decision soon.

Kawakami:

Chip Kelly's yes-no-maybe dance with NFL is mimicking Harbaugh 2 years ago, but Harbaugh always knew he fit 49ers. Does Kelly have a fit?