• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN power rankings week 3

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 3 NFL Power Rankings - 1-32 poll, plus the most pleasant surprise for each team

top 5

i

1. New England Patriots (2-0)

Week 2 ranking: 1
sw_ye_40.png

Pleasant surprise: The defense. After an offseason of chatter about who would take over for defensive playcaller Brian Flores -- and if Bill Belichick might be stretched thin with more oversight over the defense -- the unit has been stingy through two games, allowing only three points. The points-against pace can't continue -- no defense has finished the season averaging 1.5 points allowed per game -- but there's no reason to think the unit can't continue its solid play as the competition level rises. It's a versatile, talented group. -- Mike Reiss

i

2. Kansas City Chiefs (2-0)
Week 2 ranking: 2
sw_ye_40.png

Pleasant surprise: Multiple wide receivers had huge games in Tyreek Hill's absence in the Chiefs' two games: Sammy Watkins in Week 1 and Demarcus Robinson against the Raiders on Sunday. Even without Hill, the Chiefs have too much receiving talent and too creative an offensive playcaller in Andy Reid to think opponents will be successful in shutting down every receiver. Look for the Chiefs to continue to be a big-play offense without Hill. -- Adam Teicher

i

3. Los Angeles Rams (2-0)
Week 2 ranking: 3
gn-arrow.png

Pleasant surprise: It has to be receiver Cooper Kupp. Ten months after Kupp underwent reconstructive knee surgery to repair a torn ACL, the third-year slot receiver has resumed his role as quarterback Jared Goff's go-to receiver. In two games, Kupp has caught 12 passes for 166 yards. In a Week 2 win over the Saints, he took a 7-yard pass and turned it into a 66-yard catch-and-run. -- Lindsey Thiry

i

4. Dallas Cowboys (2-0)
Week 2 ranking: 6
gn-arrow.png

Pleasant surprise: Red zone offense. The Cowboys have scored touchdowns on five of their six opportunities inside the opponents' 20-yard line. While that might seem like a solid start and not a pleasant surprise, the Cowboys did not score their fifth red zone touchdown until the fifth game last season and finished the year converting 24 of 50 opportunities into touchdowns. With a number of options, the Cowboys are a difficult team to defend inside the 20. Running back Ezekiel Elliott is the key threat, but Jason Witten's return (two touchdowns) gives the Cowboys a big-body threat, and Amari Cooper can be elusive in tight spaces. Plus, Dak Prescott's accuracy is much improved, which will aid the red zone calls by coordinator Kellen Moore. -- Todd Archer

i

5. Baltimore Ravens (2-0)
Week 2 ranking: 8
gn-arrow.png

Pleasant surprise: WR Marquise "Hollywood" Brown. No one could've predicted the first-round pick would make an impact early this season, much less become the NFL's top offensive rookie after two weeks. Brown missed all of the spring workouts because he was recovering from foot surgery and didn't make any explosive plays in training camp or preseason. But Brown has used his speed and reliable hands to become Lamar Jackson's top target on the outside. He has the most receiving yards (233) by a player in his first two NFL games since Anquan Boldin in 2003. -- Jamison Hensley

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bottom 5

i

27. New York Jets (0-2)

Week 2 ranking: 26
rd-arrow.png

Pleasant surprise: WR Jamison Crowder. The Jets knew they were getting a proven slot receiver in Crowder, who signed for $19 million in guarantees, but he has exceeded expectations. His short-area quickness has provided a security blanket for the quarterbacks. He's a terrific possession receiver who should lead the team in receptions. -- Rich Cimini

i

28. Arizona Cardinals (0-1-1)
Week 2 ranking: 29
gn-arrow.png

Privacy PolicyRead the Latest
Pleasant surprise: Zane Gonzalez. The kicker has been perfect through two games this season, going 7-for-7, which leads the NFL for most field goals made. While the Cardinals' offense hasn't been able to score touchdowns in the red zone, Gonzalez has been steadily putting points on the board. He already has matched his season total of made field goals from last season, which he reached in five games, and is almost halfway to the 15 field goals he made his rookie season in 2017. Gonzalez has the pedigree and skills to keep up this type of efficiency throughout the season, saving the Cardinals whenever they need it. -- Josh Weinfuss

i

29. Cincinnati Bengals (0-2)
Week 2 ranking: 27
rd-arrow.png

Pleasant surprise: Wide receiver John Ross has enjoyed the most productive stretch of his career. After a combined 210 receiving yards in his first two seasons, Ross is already up to 270 through the first two games of this season. With A.J. Green out, Ross has already gotten 20 targets, which accounts for a third of his career targets. With the strong start, Ross should have the confidence to produce solid numbers the rest of the season. -- Ben Baby

i

30. Washington Redskins (0-2)
Week 2 ranking: 28
rd-arrow.png

Pleasant surprise: WR Terry McLaurin. When you're 0-2 with a defense getting picked apart, it's hard to find pleasant things. McLaurin is part of what could be a strong rookie class for the Redskins, but he's the one who has stood out most so far. In two games he has caught 10 passes for 187 yards and two touchdowns. He has been open deep on other plays that could have -- or should have -- resulted in touchdowns. His speed helps create opportunities in the passing game, but his improved route running from college gives him more chances, too. The Redskins do a good job of trying to get him the ball and taking shots downfield. Both he and the Redskins will have to adjust to various looks he'll face, but he will continue to get the ball. -- John Keim

31. New York Giants (0-2)
Week 2 ranking: 31
sw_ye_40.png

Pleasant surprise: The offensive line. This has been an Achilles' heel for years but is hardly the problem now. It's now among the strengths of this team. Saquon Barkley is averaging close to 8 yards per carry and quarterback Eli Manning has been sacked twice and absorbed just nine QB hits through two games. Manning also has a healthy 2.71-second time before passes despite his lack of extending plays with his feet. The offensive line's improvement should make the transition to Daniel Jones that much easier. -- Jordan Raanan

32. Miami Dolphins (0-2)
Week 2 ranking: 32
sw_ye_40.png

Pleasant surprise: Asking for something pleasant for a team outscored by 92 points in two games is a stretch, but rookie receiver Preston Williams has gone from undrafted training camp darling to challenging for Miami's top receiver spot already. Williams got his first career TD in Week 1, then followed up with a team-high 63 receiving yards on four catches vs. New England this week. I'm buying Williams stock long-term. There isn't much for this offense to hang its hat on, but Williams is showing consistent stretches of being a big, downfield target for whoever the quarterback is in Miami -- now and in the future. -- Cameron Wolfe

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing surprising me is that the Rams aren't #2 and the Bucs are somehow given credit for Cam Newton being ass.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore and Dallas with wins over 2 of ESPN’s bottom 5 teams. Each team may be legit...but probably getting overhyped a bit.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore and Dallas with wins over 2 of ESPN’s bottom 5 teams. Each team may be legit...but probably getting overhyped a bit.
Yes- but they’ve been so dominant and have good rosters so they’re getting the benefit of the doubt the 49ers will not.

Week 2 powerrankings will always be reactionary.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random sidenote: The Bengals stink- but they seem better coached from the outside looking in?
They have the worst run game in football. I think they've had 2 oline injuries and I think Mixon is dinged up. If they fix that then they're at least middle of the pack.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Cowboys may make the top 3 after next week because of more hype. They are going to destroy the Fins and should easily cover the spread no matter how high it gets. Unless the game is so bad the starters do not play the second half.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes- but they’ve been so dominant and have good rosters so they’re getting the benefit of the doubt the 49ers will not.

Week 2 powerrankings will always be reactionary.

Have they?

Baltimore won by 6 at home against a team that ESPN ranks as one of the worst in the league. The Ravens gave the Cardinals two chances to take the lead late and the Cardinals failed...but I’m not sure that I’m buying in to Baltimore yet.

Dallas has beaten up on the Skins and Giants...nothing really to scoff at with what they’ve done, though. Pretty much in control the entirety of both those games. Regardless, Dallas has a pretty easy early schedule. It’s going to be tough to know how good this team is until later in the season. They look good so far though.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys may make the top 3 after next week because of more hype. They are going to destroy the Fins and should easily cover the spread no matter how high it gets. Unless the game is so bad the starters do not play the second half.

That would probably be fair. Why are the Rams ranked 3rd to begin with? I suspect they’re going to get the shit knocked out of them in Cleveland.

They barely beat a team with an elderly woman at QB and then won last week against a team that lost its HOF QB in the 1st quarter.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have they?

Baltimore won by 6 at home against a team that ESPN ranks as one of the worst in the league. The Ravens gave the Cardinals two chances to take the lead late and the Cardinals failed...but I’m not sure that I’m buying in to Baltimore yet.

Dallas has beaten up on the Skins and Giants...nothing really to scoff at with what they’ve done, though. Pretty much in control the entirety of both those games. Regardless, Dallas has a pretty easy early schedule. It’s going to be tough to know how good this team is until later in the season. They look good so far though.
Sample size is an obvious issue. We’ll find out real quick if this is just bullshit from the Ravens and Cowboys. I am just gonna refuse to be even more ridiculous and say the 49ers are a top 5 team.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for some perspective:

The top 5 finish in DVOA last year:

KC: 32.9%
LAR: 24.0%
LAC: 22.6%
NO: 20.5%
CHI: 19.4%

NE (7th): 14.2%

Top 5 in DVOA right now:

NE: 83.2%
BAL: 63.0%
SF: 62.5%
KC: 56.6%
DAL: 50.5%

Something more of compromise (DAVE)

NE: 32.6%
KC: 24.5%
LAR: 18.2%
BAL: 17.6%
DAL: 15.3%

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting:

The Patriots defense could allow 29 points to the Jets on Sunday and still set a new franchise record for the first three games of the season.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would probably be fair. Why are the Rams ranked 3rd to begin with? I suspect they’re going to get the shit knocked out of them in Cleveland.

They barely beat a team with an elderly woman at QB and then won last week against a team that lost its HOF QB in the 1st quarter.
giphy (1)-19.gif