• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching News From Around the League

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter: Chip Kelly turned down a chance to go to the NFL and to returned to Oregon, according to sources. Considered Eagles but stayed at Oregon.

Adam Schefter: Chip Kelly considered Eagles but ultimately decided it was better to stay at Oregon.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rob Moseley:

UO sources confirm the AdamSchefter report: Chip Kelly is staying at Oregon.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Schefter: Chip Kelly considered Eagles but ultimately decided it was better to stay at Oregon.

Good choice. The only decent option for him would have been Arizona but I don't know if they were interested in him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's made alot of people's lists for a couple years now and gotten alot of looks the past several years - Bucs and Dolphins interviewed him last year alone - and he even turned down Nebraska because he felt like he was getting close to getting a HC job somewhere in the NFL. Prior to that I believe he's also interviewed with St. Louis and San Diego.

His personality make-up is alot like Parcells, who he worked with in Dallas and credits for helping him make him into the type of coach he is today. He's a very tough minded, no nonsense kind of coach. Alot of players have gone in being unsure about playing for him right away because of that and they say he wins alot of them over because he's very fair and knows when to be serious and when to lighten up.

He's a big picture guy on defense, according to Bill Parcells. I've heard others say he's very good about knowing what to do with an entire defensive unit and how to bring everybody together working as one. He's not a one trick guy with one position. Others have said he's very good in the classroom and he stresses technique at all positions on defense. He doesn't have alot of 3-4 experience outside of what he did with Parcells, but his defenses are flexible and have alot of 3-4 rush principles.

I've wondered myself, though, if he's one of those guys that's just better as a coordinator. I would question the connections he has and what kind of a staff he could compile? I question it because I don't really know. I've never heard that his web really extends to alot of different parts in the NFL so that is why I bring it up. Would player burn out be a problem with him? I've wondered that as well.

Maybe we'll start to see his name creep back into some of the discussions now that they've been eliminated. Peter King had him 2nd on his list of guys who should be hearing from teams about potential openings. Thing is, the fact that they made the playoffs may have hurt his chances a little bit again. I don't know.

Thanks for the information, it sounded like he's been there for a long time and I hadn't heard much about him, but then again, I haven't spent that much time reading around until we replaced everybody - and even then it was just on people we were interested in - like Harbaugh, Lombardi (to what extent, I don't know), Baalke, etc. Since then, I hadn't until this coming off-season due to the sheer volume of openings and our guys maybe leaving.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ian Rapoport:

I can confirm reports that #Oregon coach Chip Kelly is staying in college. Apparently, #Nike founder Phil Knight stepped up.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ESPN Sports Business reporter Darren Rovell:

$1 million to Phil Knight is the equivalent of $220 for the average American household.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gregg Rosenthal:

Doesn't make sense that Nike money made the difference for Kelly. He knew that $ was there all along. Must not have got what he wanted.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Adam Schefter:

49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble is scheduled to interview for Chargers GM job Tuesday. Jets eyeing another GM candidate.

It looked like the Jets were his most likely landing spot by far, so this may raise the optimism that the 49ers can hold on to him? For one more year, at least.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Adam Schefter:

49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble is scheduled to interview for Chargers GM job Tuesday. Jets eyeing another GM candidate.

It looked like the Jets were his most likely landing spot by far, so this may raise the optimism that the 49ers can hold on to him? For one more year, at least.

All I'm asking for is one more year. With all the picks the Niners have for the next draft, his expertise will be most welcome.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Adam Schefter:

Falcons director of player personnel Dave Caldwell is in Jacksonville today for his third interview for the Jaguars GM job.

Mike Jurecki (Phoenix Radio):

According to Kevin Acee re: SD GM position the two finalists are Jimmy Raye of the Chargers' Director of Player Personnel & Colts Tom Telesco.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping Kelly would bounce so Oregon could come back down to earth. Gonna be insane again for Stanford next season.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've become more intrigued with Trestman as an offensive coordinator in recent times but still don't know a ton about him and couldn't really go strongly one way or the other on him as far as a head coaching job goes.

Mike Jurecki: Hearing Mark Trestman has interest in the Cardinals job, worked for AZ 1998-2000 OC & QB's, has captured two Grey Cup titles, record 64-34.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've become more intrigued with Trestman as an offensive coordinator in recent times but still don't know a ton about him and couldn't really go strongly one way or the other on him as far as a head coaching job goes.

Mike Jurecki: Hearing Mark Trestman has interest in the Cardinals job, worked for AZ 1998-2000 OC & QB's, has captured two Grey Cup titles, record 64-34.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=10461

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

This coaching frenzy was worse than any draft process in terms of mis-information and spin. It was ridiculous to imagine Kelly would take the Browns job before even speaking to other teams, let alone other *better* teams.

And that goes almost as much for Reid, though with his time in the league he surely understood the various opportunities better than Kelly did.

And then the Browns try to come out and say they rejected Kelly - more laughs.