• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching News From Around the League

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JLC:

Hearing issues of roster control/overall power were always major issues to resolve in pursuit of Chip Kelly. We'll see if/when he leaves

There's no way Kelly leaves Oregon for Cleveland without total control. It'd be career suicide.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter:

Bears asked for and received permission to interview Texans OC Rick Dennison for HC job. Dennison worked with Cutler and Marshall in Denver.

John McClain:

Texans OC Rick Dennison said he hasn't heard from Bears, only that Gary Kubiak told him Chicago asked for permission to interview him.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JLC:

Hearing issues of roster control/overall power were always major issues to resolve in pursuit of Chip Kelly. We'll see if/when he leaves

Mort:

Obviously, this is down to Oregon or Eagles for Chip Kelly, based on what we know. Majority of league folks believe Oregon. Decision soon.

Kawakami:

Chip Kelly's yes-no-maybe dance with NFL is mimicking Harbaugh 2 years ago, but Harbaugh always knew he fit 49ers. Does Kelly have a fit?

Bob Glauber: Source familiar with Chip Kelly's situation on where he'll wind up: staying at Oregon.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be NUTS not to stay at Oregon.

Pozz, how are you so well connected? Twitter?

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oregon is under investigation. He needs to stay to deal with the consequences issues from his lax command or out right ignoring rules from the NCAA.

But he will run to the NFL like that jack ass in Seattle and pass the buck to some other schmuck.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

When I post something like that without a link, it's from twitter. I don't know if anybody has a better twitter account built up for sports news, specifically football, than myself. I will never use twitter for anything other than getting and sharing news.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jason La Canfora: The Chargers are interested in Mike Holmgren for their head coaching vacancy.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter:

Filed to ESPN: Doug Marrone has agreed to leave Syracuse and become the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills.

Schefter: Before Buffalo and Doug Marrone agreed to a deal early this morning, the Bills interviewed former Bears HC Lovie Smith on Saturday.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Albert Breer:

Atlanta's David Caldwell and Arizona's Steve Keim are the final two in the Jags' GM search, and the club plans to make its hire this week.

If you're like me and want to see Roman retained, you should hope that they go with Keim because Roman is reportedly the favorite with Caldwell. Plus, Keim is a very valuable asset to Arizona and it would be considered by many to be a bigger loss for them.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jason La Canfora:

Hearing from more sources that Chip Kelly is in fact staying at Oregon. Still nothing official from him or the school however. So we'll see

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way Kelly leaves Oregon for Cleveland without total control. It'd be career suicide.

Cleveland doesn't seem to be a place that would be conducive to the type of offense Kelly likes to run because of the weather there. The Eagles disgruntled group of veterans would eat him alive in Philadelphia. I think his best bet is Arizona but I would hate to see him in our division. That would make the top three coaches in the PAC 10 all now in the NFC West.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I had been laughing at the idea of Kelly going to a dump like Cleveland the whole time, when you have much better options like Philadelphia on the table. But I hadn't been considering the new ownership there, its possible things will turn around, maybe they were able to make a decent impression.

Its a bit like the Golden State Warriors, a shift to a new, dynamic and ambitious ownership group can be what a floundering franchise needs. Cleveland's old owner is a joke, between the Browns and his English Premier League team its obvious the guy has zero clue about running a team, both have been total garbage during his reign.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pozz, not for any team in particular, but what do you think of Mike Zimmer, the defensive coordinator of the Bengals? The announcer for that Cincinnatti-Houston game was promoting him a lot for HC job somewhere, though he hasn't been circulating much as a hot name or anything. Schaub didn't look that great against them, could Zimmer be good or is the announcer just talking?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Schefter:

Filed to ESPN: Doug Marrone has agreed to leave Syracuse and become the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills.

Bills fans are saying this means they may switch QBs to someone like Alex Smith. This obviously is not from experts, analysts, teams, or scouts, but I wonder what hiring Marrone means for Fitzpatrick. Would that help him, hurt him, or replace him?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pozz, not for any team in particular, but what do you think of Mike Zimmer, the defensive coordinator of the Bengals? The announcer for that Cincinnatti-Houston game was promoting him a lot for HC job somewhere, though he hasn't been circulating much as a hot name or anything. Schaub didn't look that great against them, could Zimmer be good or is the announcer just talking?

He's made alot of people's lists for a couple years now and gotten alot of looks the past several years - Bucs and Dolphins interviewed him last year alone - and he even turned down Nebraska because he felt like he was getting close to getting a HC job somewhere in the NFL. Prior to that I believe he's also interviewed with St. Louis and San Diego.

His personality make-up is alot like Parcells, who he worked with in Dallas and credits for helping him make him into the type of coach he is today. He's a very tough minded, no nonsense kind of coach. Alot of players have gone in being unsure about playing for him right away because of that and they say he wins alot of them over because he's very fair and knows when to be serious and when to lighten up.

He's a big picture guy on defense, according to Bill Parcells. I've heard others say he's very good about knowing what to do with an entire defensive unit and how to bring everybody together working as one. He's not a one trick guy with one position. Others have said he's very good in the classroom and he stresses technique at all positions on defense. He doesn't have alot of 3-4 experience outside of what he did with Parcells, but his defenses are flexible and have alot of 3-4 rush principles.

I've wondered myself, though, if he's one of those guys that's just better as a coordinator. I would question the connections he has and what kind of a staff he could compile? I question it because I don't really know. I've never heard that his web really extends to alot of different parts in the NFL so that is why I bring it up. Would player burn out be a problem with him? I've wondered that as well.

Maybe we'll start to see his name creep back into some of the discussions now that they've been eliminated. Peter King had him 2nd on his list of guys who should be hearing from teams about potential openings. Thing is, the fact that they made the playoffs may have hurt his chances a little bit again. I don't know.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter: Chip Kelly turned down a chance to go to the NFL and to returned to Oregon, according to sources. Considered Eagles but stayed at Oregon.