• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching News From Around the League

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I guess this makes it officially official.

Adam Caplan: Chiefs announced Andy Reid has agreed to become their next head coach.

Kansas City Chiefs: Andy Reid and Clark Hunt make it official. Reid becomes the Head Coach of the Chiefs - #chiefs #chiefkingdom

http://twitter.com/kcchiefs/status/287363137651503104/photo/1

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So I come back from doing some work and find this new update:

Chip Kelly wrapped up 7 hours of meeting with Browns. Kelly meeting tonight w/ Bills, Saturday w/ Eagles. Browns favored.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So I come back from doing some work and find this new update:

Chip Kelly wrapped up 7 hours of meeting with Browns. Kelly meeting tonight w/ Bills, Saturday w/ Eagles. Browns favored.

Schemes are one thing, but I'm curious to see how Chip Kelly will deal with professional athletes. For every Jim Harbaugh, there are two Nick Sabans/Bobby Petrinos.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sources -- Chip Kelly of Oregon Ducks meets Cleveland Browns, will talk with Buffalo Bills, Philadelphia Eagles - ESPN

While sources say Kelly has positioned himself as the favorite to become the next Browns coach, there is no contractual agreement in place. However, the two sides see no significant obstacles that would prevent a contract being completed if they decide to move forward Saturday night, the sources added.

Kelly informed Haslam and Banner that he wanted to "go through the process" by meeting with the Bills and Eagles, something he regretted last hiring season when he only interviewed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to a source close to the Oregon coach.

Haslam and Banner did not object to Kelly's wishes to meet with those teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I heard on the radio the Chiefs are going to give Reid control of "football decisions." Does this mean he's going to act as the GM?

If so, this is a big mistake IMO.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I heard on the radio the Chiefs are going to give Reid control of "football decisions." Does this mean he's going to act as the GM?

If so, this is a big mistake IMO.

Andy supposedly wants John Dorsey (Packers director of football ops) as KC's GM. However, that doesn't necessarily mean he'll have typical GM duties. I haven't seen a breakdown on what the structure would be so this response doesn't really answer your question exactly, but Dorsey would have the GM title to his name if he commits to KC. Dorsey is expected to interview with the Jets, too.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Reuben Frank:

I hear good chance Doug Pederson will be Andy's offensive coordinator & Matt Nagy QBs coach. Matt was quality control in Philly, Doug QBs.

Pederson was Favre's backup for a while and played for Reid in Philly. This would be a pretty stunning hire to me.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brian Costello:

Tom Heckert has canceled his interview with the Jets #NYJ

No! This is likely because of 1 of 2 things. 1) Heckert is off to KC (or a surprise destination) or 2) The Jets are zeroing in on the 49ers own Tom Gamble, who was considered by many to be the favorite in New York. Dang!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Terry McCormick:

A 2nd source now says #Titans will not interview Mike Tice for a spot on Mike Munchak's staff. At this time of yr, good sources can conflict

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kevin Acee (he's talking about the Chargers):

Keep an eye on Jim Mora. Hearing there's interest. Keeps John Pagano & offensive coordinator is Noel Mazzone, Philip Rivers' OC at NC State.

Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! Or maybe as a 49ers fan I need to say, Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Maybe he'd have an amazing staff underneath him, but as head coach alone, yuck!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=19&post_id=10401

A source in the Browns’ organization told ESPN Cleveland that just over a week ago Banner told backup quarterback Colt McCoy he is “in the next head coach’s plans.”

Adam Caplan of Sirius/XM NFL Radio reported earlier tonight that Michael Lombardi, who is rumored to be the next GM, has already been angling for the Browns in free agency. If you combine both of these reports it is pretty obvious that the Kelly/Lombardi regime did not just materialize in the last 24 hours.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Reuben Frank:

I hear good chance Doug Pederson will be Andy's offensive coordinator & Matt Nagy QBs coach. Matt was quality control in Philly, Doug QBs.

Pederson was Favre's backup for a while and played for Reid in Philly. This would be a pretty stunning hire to me.

Now this makes more sense. I forgot that he is/was the QBs coach in Philly. I thought he was still a quality control coach. He was promoted in 2011 and I forgot about that.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One more thought before I get some sleep. Hasn't there been anything said about Marty Mornhinweg's future? Not head coaching wise. Is he a lock for Reid's staff in Kansas City? I would have to imagine that he'll be a hot name if he isn't a lock in KC. I've always liked alot about him (not as a HC).

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Bummer. Jason La Canfora:

As many have noted for a while now, Tom Gamble (SF) well positioned to be Jets GM. By this time in 2014 Jim Tomsula (SF) could be his coach

Owner Woody Johnson wants new GM to evaluate staff in 13. Gamble very high on Tomsula (DL coach). believes he can be strong head coach

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
More from JLC:

As I reported earlier this week, continue to hear Dave Caldwell (ATL) has great shot at Jags GM job with Greg Roman (SF) top choice as coach

also, if Caldwell gets that job look for Chris Polian to join him in a personnel role.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bummer. Jason La Canfora:

As many have noted for a while now, Tom Gamble (SF) well positioned to be Jets GM. By this time in 2014 Jim Tomsula (SF) could be his coach

Owner Woody Johnson wants new GM to evaluate staff in 13. Gamble very high on Tomsula (DL coach). believes he can be strong head coach

What are the Jets thinking? No coach who coached in NFL Europe could EVER be a successful position coach, let alone a head coach. Right, Toby? :)

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More from JLC:

As I reported earlier this week, continue to hear Dave Caldwell (ATL) has great shot at Jags GM job with Greg Roman (SF) top choice as coach

also, if Caldwell gets that job look for Chris Polian to join him in a personnel role.

49ers looked at Chris Polian for the GM job before they hired McCloughan and then before they promoted Baalke.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So in one offseason the 49ers could lose Gamble, Roman, Tomsula, and possibly an assistant or more? That would be one hell of a blow in my opinion. Or could be depending on who they move around or hire to replace everybody. Gamble, Roman, and Tomsula are three of my favorite people in the entire organization. And there weren't even that many to begin with.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
So in one offseason the 49ers could lose Gamble, Roman, Tomsula, and possibly an assistant or more? That would be one hell of a blow in my opinion. Or could be depending on who they move around or hire to replace everybody. Gamble, Roman, and Tomsula are three of my favorite people in the entire organization. And there weren't even that many to begin with.

Any thoughts as to where the team would look for replacing potential losses? I gave it some consideration today, but really wasn't sure. Some have speculated they may just promote from within if, say, Gamble and Roman head elsewhere. Would Baalke look outside the organization for front office help? Might Harbaugh consider bringing someone from Stanford, like Pep Hamilton (if he were interested), for example?