• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching News From Around the League

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Perhaps they are trying to say that they "interviewed" Crennel to give him an opportunity to keep his job and thus met the black requirement.

Crennel was fired outright and Andy Reid has already begun to assemble his staff. The minority candidate they interviewed was somebody other than Crennel. The only way they could satisfy the Rooney Rule is to interview somebody for head coach. Not give your former head coach, who is a minority, a different position on the staff. I've never heard of any head coach staying on the same organization's staff after he was fired anyway.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jason Cole:

Chiefs fans will be happy to know that Scott Pioli is out. Long-time GB personnel man John Dorsey appears headed to KC to work for Andy Reid

Michael Silver: I wonder if Scott Pioli found out he was fired by listening on a (wire-tapped) phone conversation. If so, that would be awesome.

Awesome, indeed!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ESPN Stats and Info:

Andy Reid will be 5th head coach in NFL history to coach a new team AFTER coaching one team for at least 14 seasons

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manish Mehta:

49ers Director of Player Personnel Tom Gamble is expected to get strong consideration going into Jets GM interview process. He's up tomorrow

Source says Rex Ryan & Tom Gamble got along fine when they knew each other dating back to yrs Buddy Ryan & Harry Gamble worked for Eagles

Booooo!

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Caplan:

Unless Dorsey doesn't interview well or Reid has a change of heart, Dorsey is expected to join Chiefs personnel staff in coming days.

Would be a pretty solid hire, in my opinion, as I stated yesterday. Like Gamble in SF, it was probably only a matter of time before he went somewhere.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Silver: I wonder if Scott Pioli found out he was fired by listening on a (wire-tapped) phone conversation. If so, that would be awesome.

Awesome, indeed!

I hope they run that creep out of town on the rails. :heh:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keith Britton: As expected, source says Chip Kelly decision will almost certainly be made w/in 24-48 hrs. #Browns #Eagles fans will quickly know future

I haven't followed the majority of people who are predominately focusing on the Kelly decision, but it surprises me or it would surprise me if the decision is made within 24-48 hours AND he goes to the NFL. If he decides to stay at Oregon, I could see a decision being made quickly. But if he jumps to the NFL this soon, that would surprise me. Unless we find out that a good portion of the back-and-forth between teams took place before last night's game? That's certainly possible I would suppose.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter: Not a good sign for Jaguars HC Mike Mularkey: Jacksonville's assistant coaches given permission today to speak to other teams about jobs.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gil Brandt:

Reid got everything he wanted in KC, complete control. Biggest factor for Reid was Chiefs prez Mark Donovan. Reid loved what he heard.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Marc Sessler:

Browns interviewing Chip Kelly AT THIS MOMENT.

Posted 15 minutes ago.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Jason La Canfora:

If Caldwell does land the Jags GM job, a coaching change is expected with Greg Roman (SF) a strong candidate.

Still speculation, but it might be the first (second?) time I've seen a 49ers coach mentioned so far in connection with a specific job.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Smith's priorities should be:

Philadelphia + Roman - perhaps the best team needing a coach and only real team in my opinion who may get Roman. Maybe they're not the best team needing a coach, it just seemed they underachieved these last years, not just bad like Cleveland or anything. Roman would need to go there or else I think the press and new system would make this not as attractive. Philadelphia without Roman or Turner, no.

Jets - if Turner goes there. Turner + Alex's success these past two years should beat out Sanchez. Of course, Alex would have to be cut. Tom Gamble may go there as GM and I'm not sure if this is good or bad for Smith, but I assume it is. Also, going to a defensive minded coach who likely is going to limit the offense, may be good or bad for Smith. I don't like defensive minded coaches as much. The way Ryan stuck with Sanchez, that could either mean he'll stick with whoever he chooses, or will overcompensate and pull too early. Don't really know what he'd do.

Kansas City - Reid would help and they say they have a lot of talent, based on pro bowls, but I think Reid will be drafting a QB to groom behind him. I know it doesn't say much of Smith to be worried about the backup who hasn't even been drafted yet, but that's a reality. No potential really to be the guy long term - regardless of realistic success that is possible. I just feel if he could be replaced by someone who knows what he's doing (Harbaugh) when winning and playing well, then he can be replaced by someone who knows what he's doing as well (Reid). Not guaranteed anywhere else either, but at least with the Jets or Cardinals, I feel if he succeeded he'd be given some chance. Philadelphia maybe. Yes, that means, I think the Jets, Eagles, and Cardinals may hire someone who doesn't know what they are doing as much as Harbaugh or Reid.

Arizona - if Roman goes there, then this might leap frog them all. But I think he could beat out Kolb depending on who the coach is and they have no proof of drafting great QBs to replace him.

Jaguars, Raiders, et al: Not good, Tebow's a circus shoe-in for the start of the season, Oakland is close, but a bad team. And the others, the same.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kawakami on Gamble:

49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble is getting a lot of interest from teams looking for a GM–including the Jets and Jaguars, reportedly–and it seems clear he’s going to get a good offer, and go, probably sooner rather than later. He deserves the shot, but it’d be a huge loss for the 49ers, no doubt.

Gamble has been the 49ers’ unsung exec for several years, under both Scot McCloughan and now Trent Baalke, and around the league he’s tremendously well respected. In my opinion, his greatest value to the 49ers has been his depth of experience (coaching, scouting, negotiating) and his connections to people across the NFL landscape. It’s not that other 49ers’ execs don’t have connections, it’s that Gamble’s one of the best-informed guys in the entire league–and sometimes other 49ers execs and coaches don’t seem that interested in those kinds of relationships. Information is valuable, so is Gamble.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oakland is close, but a bad team. And the others, the same.

I wouldn't count out Oakland, in that Smith's got two small kids and considering his family, home, business and charitable interests is well-established in the area.

That is only one of many considerations, and Oakland may still be too invested in Palmer to make a move......but if no other situation blows him away that might make the difference.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sean Jensen:

Eagles announce that they've been granted permission to interview Colts O-C Bruce Arians and Seahawks D-C Gus Bradley

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't count out Oakland, in that Smith's got two small kids and considering his family, home, business and charitable interests is well-established in the area.

That is only one of many considerations, and Oakland may still be too invested in Palmer to make a move......but if no other situation blows him away that might make the difference.

And he loves the Giants. I mentioned Oakland instead of including them in the et al because of his local ties. I just don't think it makes that much sense football-wise. It would be the quit that people expected him to do after 2010. I want him to, however delusional it may be, fight for a starting job and try to make it long term. I don't see there being a down of trying, because he'd still have backup opportunities if he failed.

I suppose he could wait out Palmer, but I hope he goes and starts. If he fails, he fails - people would still like him as a backup. Coming back to start over greener pastures on the bench was what made me respect Smith even more than I did before. In 2007, playing through injury and not going public until push came to shove was another - people already knew that, but he had to say something - but he waited rather than chickening out. I would have chickened out and gotten the surgery from the beginning, telling myself that the team was better for it - and that might be true, but Smith was tough. I kind of felt that sitting out 2008 was Nolan and Smith's compromise in a way (not literally) - Nolan didn't want the pressure to start Alex and Alex wouldn't want to be benched despite Nolan clearly not liking Smith after the comments or after not working out on the field. But, of course, it was mostly, if not all, medical reasons.