• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching News From Around the League

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Chris, you don't have to go in depth or anything but I'd be interested in your opinion......is Mike Lombardi a good hire? You've probably seen me say before that I don't think all that much of him, but this is based on media appearances and style rather than his actual knowledge. The way he drops names about his experiences in former organizations is so shameless, almost pathetic, like he's puffing himself up rather than offering up some relevant information.......but do you think he is a solid personnel guy?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Chris, you don't have to go in depth or anything but I'd be interested in your opinion......is Mike Lombardi a good hire? You've probably seen me say before that I don't think all that much of him, but this is based on media appearances and style rather than his actual knowledge. The way he drops names about his experiences in former organizations is so shameless, almost pathetic, like he's puffing himself up rather than offering up some relevant information.......but do you think he is a solid personnel guy?[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'm leery of it working out but I'm not completely anti Lombardi. There are question marks and alot of unknowns with the organization. Cleveland has had alot of change recently and haven't really defined the roles all that clearly for anybody publically so that makes the structure harder to analyze. They talked about how it's going to be a collective effort from everybody. Nobody knows (yet?) who has final say and who will do what. Those situations can be dicey.

As far as Lombardi himself goes. He's well connected to alot of people in the NFL. Many people have said recently that his time at NFL Network has been good for him. They say he had alot of known character flaws but many believe he's much more equipped for a front office job now than before when he was in the league because the NFLN job gave him a new perspective on things and he got a chance to see how things can be structured and done correctly. He didn't have that kind of perspective the last time he was with a team. This is something you hear alot of TV guys say and one reason why alot of them go into TV once they lose a job because they are better equipped to go back into the NFL alot of times.

Alot of people think he's a very hard worker, very smart, and dedicated to whatever he's working on at the time. Alot of people are impressed with his knowledge of how things in the NFL work, both in personnel and in business, how other teams are structured, and who are on their rosters at all times.

Something that's interesting about him to me is he and Belichick created a detailed system of evaluating and developing players which was picked up on by other teams and it's said to be still used in the NFL today by many teams.

The experience in many areas - college, personnel, coaching, free agency, business, is wanted by many teams now a days. That could be very beneficial to a team and organization that is in a bit of disarray like Cleveland.

I suppose it's a little concerning he hasn't been around teams that have been built better and run better. Many people will look at alot of his positives and say well then why hasn't he been a part of better teams if he's all these things? There might be something to that. That's one thing I would have to investigate myself if I was going to hire him myself or even consider it. I do have to admit that that's a reason why I was never more sold on him than I was. Whether that's fair or not, I'm still wrestling that around in my head.

As far as what fans on TV have seen. Yeah, alot of people don't like him for many different reasons. I've never had AS much of a problem with what we've seen on TV as others have. I don't know if I feel comfortable really analyzing too much about that. I just have to say that what we've seen on TV hasn't bothered me as much as it has with others for some reason.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jason La Canfora:

The Eagles deal with Pat Shurmur to be their offensive coordinator is complete. May not be announced until Tuesday.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jamison Hensley:

Jim Caldwell will remain as offensive coordinator for #Ravens, Harbaugh announced.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Geoff Mosher:

Hearing that 49ers DB coach Ed Donatell has surfaced as a potential DC for #Eagles. Obviously, can't happen until after Super Bowl.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Geoff Mosher:

Hearing that 49ers DB coach Ed Donatell has surfaced as a potential DC for #Eagles. Obviously, can't happen until after Super Bowl.

Probably the defensive coach I'd be most willing to see leave.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What don't you like about him?

I have nothing against him. I just don't want to lose the other D coaches (Fangio, Tomsula and Leavitt). He's also the one position coach on defense with another coach designated as his "assistant" (Greg Jackson).

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have nothing against him. I just don't want to lose the other D coaches (Fangio, Tomsula and Leavitt). He's also the one position coach on defense with another coach designated as his "assistant" (Greg Jackson).

Just curious. I don't really know anything about him. All i know is i like our secondary and i haven't been able to say that in a long time.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Joe Person:

Panthers interviewing Bill Davis today at Senior Bowl for LBs coach. Davis was part of 1st Panthers' staff as LBs coach under Dom Capers.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Jurecki:

Hearing #Cards will hire Mike Caldwell as the new LB's coach, Caldwell played 10 yrs including w/ Az in 1997, recently LB coach w/ Eagles.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Joe Person:

Jacksonville LBs coach Mark Duffner, who interviewed with Panthers last week, is staying with Jaguars.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Garafolo:

Former Eagles DL coach Jim Washburn will join the Lions' staff as a defensive assistant. Reunites with Jim Schwartz, joins his son Jeremiah.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Great stuff on Lombardi Chris, I appreciate that. Its a good point about his tenure with the Raiders, now that I look......1998 - 2007 definitely correlates with a huge downturn in their fortunes. I suppose it also correlates well with Al Davis' decline, and that was probably a tough (and increasingly tougher) boss to advise, but in the end it doesn't look good on the resume.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Caplan:

Former NFL TE Justin Peelle is expected to join Chip Kelly's staff with the #Eagles, sources said.

He played for the 49ers last year and signed with the Steelers in August but didn't make the final roster. He played for Oregon (drafted in 2002) but not for Chip Kelly. Kelly was at New Hampshire when he was at Oregon but still probably has connections to him from Kelly's time there.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dan Pompei:

Breaking: Bears keep filling out their coaching staff. Newest addition, per sources, is strength coach Mike Clark.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mary Kay Cabot:

Jaguars DL Joe Cullen, who interviewed with Chudzinski last week, has been hired by #Browns, source said.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mary Kay Cabot:

Jaguars DL Joe Cullen, who interviewed with Chudzinski last week, has been hired by #Browns, source said.

Mary Kay Cabot:

Jaguars coach Gus Bradley confirmed that DL coach Joe Cullen taking same post with #Browns, reports Ryan O'Halloran of Florida Times-Union.