• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clowney

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Clowney is only interested in a pay day, he's not really caring about winning or not... I wish we could keep him, he's a definite monster out there, but it's pretty clear he's not coming back... Last I heard the Browns might nab him, the have the cap room also...

I'm thinking the Browns as well but not at the 20mil he's probably still looking for.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Clowney is only interested in a pay day, he's not really caring about winning or not... I wish we could keep him, he's a definite monster out there, but it's pretty clear he's not coming back... Last I heard the Browns might nab him, the have the cap room also...
I feel some sympathy for Clowney's situation. He was one of the top national recruits coming out of HS, had some legendary plays and performances in college that ended up making him the #1 overall pick. His NFL career thus far has been good but maybe not quite as good as the expectations. A year ago, instead of getting a big contract, he got the non-exclusive tag as an OLB and then traded to a new team just a week or so before the start of the season. He's now a FA and finally has this chance to get his big 2nd contract, and what happens? Coronavirus. He can't go on any FA tour, teams can't bring him in for a physical, and it's sort of made this whole thing a bit anti-climactic. And now he's probably looking at some shorter term deal for under what he thought the market value was. I can totally understand why he's not just rushing out and signing somewhere. For him, it has to be pretty disappointing how this whole thing went down.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel some sympathy for Clowney's situation. He was one of the top national recruits coming out of HS, had some legendary plays and performances in college that ended up making him the #1 overall pick. His NFL career thus far has been good but maybe not quite as good as the expectations. A year ago, instead of getting a big contract, he got the non-exclusive tag as an OLB and then traded to a new team just a week or so before the start of the season. He's now a FA and finally has this chance to get his big 2nd contract, and what happens? Coronavirus. He can't go on any FA tour, teams can't bring him in for a physical, and it's sort of made this whole thing a bit anti-climactic. And now he's probably looking at some shorter term deal for under what he thought the market value was. I can totally understand why he's not just rushing out and signing somewhere. For him, it has to be pretty disappointing how this whole thing went down.

I hear that ... What he should do is just sign with Seattle for another year at a lower price then hit free agency next year when the dust settles...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear that ... What he should do is just sign with Seattle for another year at a lower price then hit free agency next year when the dust settles...
Yeah, that could very well be his best option and what ends up happening (hopefully in Seattle). His chance for that payday he's been looking forward to probably since he was a teenager kicked down the road 1 more year....

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wonder if the signing of Iupati is a good sign that we'll eventually sign Clowney, Bennett, Golden or Griffin and that Britt could be the one released to free up more money to sign one of the two...

Iupati only cost $1 million vs cap savings of $8.5 million if Britt is released... I would be very surprised if Britt returns to the team... Finney and Hunt can play C, since Iupati will more than likely solidify LG...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wonder if the signing of Iupati is a good sign that we'll eventually sign Clowney, Bennett, Golden or Griffin and that Britt could be the one released to free up more money to sign one of the two...

Iupati only cost $1 million vs cap savings of $8.5 million if Britt is released... I would be very surprised if Britt returns to the team... Finney and Hunt can play C, since Iupati will more than likely solidify LG...

I think Pocic is the better option at Center over Hunt. If Britt gets released i think Finney and Pocic would battle for the starter job and Hunt would be the back up to the loser.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, the potential for Britt to be cut based on torn ACL and big cap number was kicked around and speculated almost as soon as the season ended and maybe even before. I would agree with the notion that Pocic might be the better option there than Hunt if Britt is indeed released. Britt is "good" but if it paves the way to re-sign Clowney then whatever dropoff we may have from him to Pocic is probably worth it. It may boil down to whether JS/PC prefer Britt + Griffen or Pocic + Clowney. Easy choice for me, especially if Clowney is here for 3+ years.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the potential for Britt to be cut based on torn ACL and big cap number was kicked around and speculated almost as soon as the season ended and maybe even before. I would agree with the notion that Pocic might be the better option there than Hunt if Britt is indeed released. Britt is "good" but if it paves the way to re-sign Clowney then whatever dropoff we may have from him to Pocic is probably worth it. It may boil down to whether JS/PC prefer Britt + Griffen or Pocic + Clowney. Easy choice for me, especially if Clowney is here for 3+ years.

Yeah, the potential for Britt to be cut was high already but I think the signing of Iupati pretty much guarantees that will be the case... Haven't seen Pocic play much at this level so not sure how much better he would be than Finney/Hunt... Isn't Pocic 6'7"? Seems tall for a center...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pocic is the better option at Center over Hunt. If Britt gets released i think Finney and Pocic would battle for the starter job and Hunt would be the back up to the loser.

I would be happy if that was the case... Hunt would be better served as a backup...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the potential for Britt to be cut was high already but I think the signing of Iupati pretty much guarantees that will be the case... Haven't seen Pocic play much at this level so not sure how much better he would be than Finney/Hunt... Isn't Pocic 6'7"? Seems tall for a center...

Britt is 6 foot 6 and Pocic is also listed at 6 foot 6.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton mentioned that the Hawks made Clowney an offer, which was a little bit more than their previous offer... Didn't say what the number of the offer was...

Also, in their contract agreement for not tagging him, he was always going to give the Seahawks the last chance to make a better offer... Basically, last right of refusal...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we will find out soon enough if some other team has a deal for him. The compensation deadline is 1:00 PST, so in just a few minutes.

I can't imagine that some team swooped in for him but were willing to wait for the deadline but I guess it is possible.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we will find out soon enough if some other team has a deal for him. The compensation deadline is 1:00 PST, so in just a few minutes.

I can't imagine that some team swooped in for him but were willing to wait for the deadline but I guess it is possible.
And if we find out here in a few minutes that Clowney is headed elsewhere, then I hope we waste no time in making a move on Griffen. If not, then I really don't understand the timing of cutting both Fluker and Britt.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if we find out here in a few minutes that Clowney is headed elsewhere, then I hope we waste no time in making a move on Griffen. If not, then I really don't understand the timing of cutting both Fluker and Britt.

I think this sums it up nicely...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this sums it up nicely...

Getting beyond whatever the opinion is of the defense with or without "more star power" it just wouldn't make sense to make the cuts yesterday if a major signing wasn't looming. If we let Britt & Fluker go to set the table to sign Clowney and it doesn't happen, then our front office will have totally misread the situation. That would be pretty surprising to me. Griffen would be an ok consolation prize (better with him than without), but I don't think we would have needed to chop both Britt and Fluker for that.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still stand firm on my opinion in that I wouldn't want to pay Clowney 20+ million I really believe that we will regret giving him all that money. Some of the best defenses last season didn't have a Defensive lineman making more less 20 million, we didn't have that when our defense was great back in 2014. The defensive lineman that are making around 20 million I am sure teams are regretting that transaction other than Aaron Donald and the jury is still out on Deforest Buckner but the 49ers did the smart thing in trading him away for a 1st round pick.

I am sure the Lions are regretting paying Trey Flowers, Frank Clark under performed his contract, The jaguars franchise tagged Ngakoue now they cant get rid of him. They need to keep Clowney at the 17-18 million dollar range and I believe a lot of teams are thinking what I am saying because he is still a free agent.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still stand firm on my opinion in that I wouldn't want to pay Clowney 20+ million I really believe that we will regret giving him all that money. Some of the best defenses last season didn't have a Defensive lineman making more less 20 million, we didn't have that when our defense was great back in 2014. The defensive lineman that are making around 20 million I am sure teams are regretting that transaction other than Aaron Donald and the jury is still out on Deforest Buckner but the 49ers did the smart thing in trading him away for a 1st round pick.

I am sure the Lions are regretting paying Trey Flowers, Frank Clark under performed his contract, The jaguars franchise tagged Ngakoue now they cant get rid of him. They need to keep Clowney at the 17-18 million dollar range and I believe a lot of teams are thinking what I am saying because he is still a free agent.

A player get $20M+ should be an elite pass rusher as well as an all-around player.

Just think the Colts are paying Buckner $22M a year and they gave up a 1st for him...he's had 12 and 7.5 sacks the last 2 seasons

DT's over $20M a year
Aaron Donald
DeForest Buckner

DE's/OLB's over $20M a year
DeMarcus Lawrence
Frank Clark

The only player worthy of $20M+ out of those 4 is Aaron Donald imo.

There are quite a few getting $16M+ and I would be fine giving Clowney that number.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really don't think we are on the verge of paying Clowney $20M+ a year, but just remember that in 2014 the salary cap was only $133M. It's $198M this year, so $20M today is the equivalent of $13M in 2014 as a % of the total cap. Avril was just shy of $10M in 2014, which would be the same as nearly $15M today. Right now, Danny O'Neill and Clayton are talking about how Clowney would respond to a year deal worth $17M.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think we are on the verge of paying Clowney $20M+ a year, but just remember that in 2014 the salary cap was only $133M. It's $198M this year, so $20M today is the equivalent of $13M in 2014 as a % of the total cap. Avril was just shy of $10M in 2014, which would be the same as nearly $15M today. Right now, Danny O'Neill and Clayton are talking about how Clowney would respond to a year deal worth $17M.

I’m with you on that, just because we cleared a ton of space it doesn’t mean we will break the bank for Clowney. I do think with the uncertainty of draft pick value next year we may be willing to trade a #1 pick next year and then break the bank for Yannick. Or we plan to sign Griffen and trade for another mid to upper level pass rusher or wait for the waive of releases that will eventually come. Either way, I don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion that Clowney is back on a hefty deal.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m with you on that, just because we cleared a ton of space it doesn’t mean we will break the bank for Clowney. I do think with the uncertainty of draft pick value next year we may be willing to trade a #1 pick next year and then break the bank for Yannick. Or we plan to sign Griffen and trade for another mid to upper level pass rusher or wait for the waive of releases that will eventually come. Either way, I don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion that Clowney is back on a hefty deal.

I believe the team is taking a risk for up'g Clowney's offer... IMO, if I was Clowney, I would respect that... The risk is the fact that the Hawks can't get a physical for Clowney due to Covid... With the injuries he had last season, you don't know if he's fully healthy... Hawks are sticking their neck out for him with the offer... There is a reason teams are knocking down his door to sign him for the salary he's expecting...