• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clowney

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what I don't want is for the 2020 defense to be the same as the 2019 defense minus Reed, Kendricks, Jefferson, etc with the addition of the draft class and some minimum wage/undrafted players to fill the rest that would be a worse scenario with clowney paid QB money.

I would rather have a 4-5 veterans added to this defense to help with this draft class we definitely need veteran leadership in the secondary.

I would be very surprised if that were to happen. Regardless of whether we resign Clowney or not, I would expect a lot of changes on the DL. That doesn't necessarily mean a lot of big money players though.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what I don't want is for the 2020 defense to be the same as the 2019 defense minus Reed, Kendricks, Jefferson, etc with the addition of the draft class and some minimum wage/undrafted players to fill the rest that would be a worse scenario with clowney paid QB money.

I would rather have a 4-5 veterans added to this defense to help with this draft class we definitely need veteran leadership in the secondary.

how much more experience does the secondary need for leadership sake? McDougald is entering his 8th season, Diggs his 6th and Griffin 4th. That’s a good amount of experience, as well the reports that McDougald has been a huge leader in the locker room. We just need to improve 2 spots, either through a step forward by guys on the roster or somewhere else.

Also, not all our coverage woes are on the DBs. Honestly, I thought our linebackers were abysmal this year, or at least teams really took advantage of the holes in the scheme. Opposing TEs and RBs hurt the team. 174-1774-6 in the regular season, and though I am not gonna watch all the game film and see how much of that was on the LBs, I will assume a large portion of it (just like some of the WR totals were LB assignments, though I assume not a large portion in comparision). There was another 204 yards in the playoffs. At one point, both Bobby and KJ were nearing the 900 yards against, and there were a few weeks left in the season (if I'm remembering correctly).

As 2019 went on, I wasn't entirely sold that our pass defense woes weren't more on scheme than on the back 7, especially with inconsistent at best pressure on the QB. Which is one reason I'm not committed to the idea that Flowers needs to be replaced, as the amount of time QBs were given to dissect the team would've exposed a lot of CBs. I don't think the holes in the scheme are gonna get solved this year, so we better hope there's more pressure on the QB from the front 4.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how much more experience does the secondary need for leadership sake? McDougald is entering his 8th season, Diggs his 6th and Griffin 4th. That’s a good amount of experience, as well the reports that McDougald has been a huge leader in the locker room. We just need to improve 2 spots, either through a step forward by guys on the roster or somewhere else.

Also, not all our coverage woes are on the DBs. Honestly, I thought our linebackers were abysmal this year, or at least teams really took advantage of the holes in the scheme. Opposing TEs and RBs hurt the team. 174-1774-6 in the regular season, and though I am not gonna watch all the game film and see how much of that was on the LBs, I will assume a large portion of it (just like some of the WR totals were LB assignments, though I assume not a large portion in comparision). There was another 204 yards in the playoffs. At one point, both Bobby and KJ were nearing the 900 yards against, and there were a few weeks left in the season (if I'm remembering correctly).

As 2019 went on, I wasn't entirely sold that our pass defense woes weren't more on scheme than on the back 7, especially with inconsistent at best pressure on the QB. Which is one reason I'm not committed to the idea that Flowers needs to be replaced, as the amount of time QBs were given to dissect the team would've exposed a lot of CBs. I don't think the holes in the scheme are gonna get solved this year, so we better hope there's more pressure on the QB from the front 4.

I pretty much agree. Show me a great secondary and I'll show an excellent pass rush. Elite talent can help offset a weak pass rush some of the time. But teams that can't pressure a QB will always have weak secondaries. The best you can hope for is that they are ball hawks.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An article on CBSSports suggests the FO is done chasing Clowney and it's slim to none he'll be back, so off to the next options to solidify the D-line.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An article on CBSSports suggests the FO is done chasing Clowney and it's slim to none he'll be back, so off to the next options to solidify the D-line.

He may not come back but these sorts of articles are often intended to make it clear to the other side that you are willing to walk away.

I really don't know what Clowney is thinking at this point.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may not come back but these sorts of articles are often intended to make it clear to the other side that you are willing to walk away.

I really don't know what Clowney is thinking at this point.

My only guess is Clowney says he dropped his price but is still holding out hope someone drops 20mil. I've got nothing else on what his thinking is.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually glad he did not resign with the team I wasn't the biggest fan of clowney he seems like a narcissist and thinks way to highly of himself ever sense that huge hit back in college that took off that running backs helmet which put him all over ESPN and basically made him the #1 pick. I cant believe he really thought he deserves Khalil Mack or Aaron Donald money.

I would rather see the seahawks sign griffin at a cheaper rate shorter term than clowney on a long deal.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually glad he did not resign with the team I wasn't the biggest fan of clowney he seems like a narcissist and thinks way to highly of himself ever sense that huge hit back in college that took off that running backs helmet which put him all over ESPN and basically made him the #1 pick. I cant believe he really thought he deserves Khalil Mack or Aaron Donald money.

I would rather see the seahawks sign griffin at a cheaper rate shorter term than clowney on a long deal.

So you would rather that the Seahawks be even worse defensively than last year because you don't personally like Clowney?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only guess is Clowney says he dropped his price but is still holding out hope someone drops 20mil. I've got nothing else on what his thinking is.

I feel like he might believe that he isn't getting the big money because he can't get a physical and if he can hold out until the lockdown ends, teams will come running to him.

I don't believe that view is accurate but I guess we will see.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffen is still a very good player so it wouldn't be a bad replacement but it's hard to replace Clowney. For being dealt midseason he still had a 87 PFF rating, for an EDGE player that only had what 4 sacks that pretty much says he can disrupt the game in some many different ways. He played well to end the season and the playoffs, right? The best option from the start was to resign Clowney but it seems like the Hawks don't have a lot of cap space.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffen is still a very good player so it wouldn't be a bad replacement but it's hard to replace Clowney. For being dealt midseason he still had a 87 PFF rating, for an EDGE player that only had what 4 sacks that pretty much says he can disrupt the game in some many different ways. He played well to end the season and the playoffs, right? The best option from the start was to resign Clowney but it seems like the Hawks don't have a lot of cap space.

The big knock on Clowney is his injury history. A healthy Clowney is a top 10 defensive lineman. But he misses games every season.

Griffen is a good player. But he's 32 and he's probably looking for similar money to Clowney. He's also a one dimensional player. The Hawks are gonna get run over with a line of Irvin, Reed, Ford, and Griffen.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like he might believe that he isn't getting the big money because he can't get a physical and if he can hold out until the lockdown ends, teams will come running to him.

Yeah, this sounds like the simplest answer to me on why he's still out there. Hopefully he's also taking into account that some point, the teams who may be interested in him need to move forward with some kind of plan B before it's too late. If Clowney gambles like that, those teams that he thinks will come calling when the virus stuff is over may not be able to make it work financially because they had to go with their Plan B. He may have to drop his price even more.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney definitely showed that he plans to ride this out, but if he thought this would still leave a return to Seattle as a possibility I think he’s mistaken. I would guess that Johns timeline ends at the draft where he will make the appropriate moves to the fill the DL gap. Doesn’t mean that we end up better off Than we would with Clowney, but I’m hard pressed to think he would allow Clowney to hold our D-line captive beyond the draft.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree on Griffen... However, Clowned was dealt 1 week before the season started - not midseason... Duane Brown was the one who was dealt midseason the year prior...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised if Clowney rides this out too much longer... He's only hurting his chances of maximizing his money... Teams aren't going to have as much cap space remaining if he holds out past June... His options will be even more limited than they are now...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on Griffen... However, Clowned was dealt 1 week before the season started - not midseason... Duane Brown was the one who was dealt midseason the year prior...

Ahhh...thanks. Yeah, he is a game changer regardless and the longer he is in the system you would think it would benefit him. All depends on if that system is best for him though to get full productivity out of him.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a risky chance on his part. Draft is a couple of weeks away with young edge rushers on the cheap and teams may lean in that direction instead of handing out 20mil.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Clowney is only interested in a pay day, he's not really caring about winning or not... I wish we could keep him, he's a definite monster out there, but it's pretty clear he's not coming back... Last I heard the Browns might nab him, the have the cap room also...