• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clowney

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he never gets thrown around

I dont think thats true.

If we want to go by PFF, theres this:

Player Grading Scale:
100-90 Elite
89-85 Pro Bowler
84-70 Starter
69-60 Backup
59-0 Replaceable

Last year britt was 57.7, in the few games he played this year 62. Joey hunt, 56.5 thats not a huge difference.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we want to go by PFF, theres this:

Player Grading Scale:
100-90 Elite
89-85 Pro Bowler
84-70 Starter
69-60 Backup
59-0 Replaceable

Last year britt was 57.7, in the few games he played this year 62. Joey hunt, 56.5 thats not a huge difference.

this is what PFF said of Britt 2/13/2019
Seahawks Justin Britt PFF's highest graded center in NFC West
funny how he was their highest rated Center following the 2018 season isn't it Snuggles?

Britt was bounced around from a full season at RT to another Season at RG/LG Then played Center for the first time in 2016 and has every year improved. Funny thing is he was a better RT than Ifedi is yet he was moved to right and left guard. Having no real history at Center the fact he has improved each and every year just shows he has not reached his best yet. He is a massive big strong man and Hunt will never be even close to Britt in pure strength and size let alone ability. He is out matched every time he is on the field even against sub par DT.

If they want to IMPROVE the center position then by all means go ahead but don't destroy it by putting a player their that is not even backup quality and call it good! this is not 2015 line with Cable at control.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe im misreading PFF, but it looks like britt is the prettiest girl in a group of uglies.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe im misreading PFF, but it looks like britt is the prettiest girl in a group of uglies.

lol i can agree with that but Britt is a serviceable center, Hunt there is nothing serviceable about him and is a very replaceable backup. Plus Britt is a HUGE mountain of a man at 6 foot 6 320+ Pounds that can put even probowl DT on their ass from time to time. We have seen it. Hunt will not even put back-up 240 pound LBers on their ass.

Haynes and Jones have looked good in their playing time ( Haynes was very limited ) Both play G/T and i think many have seen Jones looks to be a quality player and that quality does not go down when playing out of position. I would plug Jones at RT, Haynes at LG now we need just a starting quality RG and i would be happy with a Oline of Brown, Haynes, Britt , XX, Jones. Maybe put Ifedi as the RG?

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler biadasz could play RG and move to C when britt is gone.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to get him locked up before FA starts. If he hits the market without a deal, I think it gets alot tougher

This is an easy and popular thing to say as fans, but he'd be an idiot to take the first offer before he could even look at what another contender might throw his way. He should fire his agent that second if he took that advice.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an easy and popular thing to say as fans, but he'd be an idiot to take the first offer before he could even look at what another contender might throw his way. He should fire his agent that second if he took that advice.

I'm sure he has an idea of what his options will be. Money aside hopefully Seattle has shown to be an environment he wants to play in and will be the contender he is looking for. I cant imagine there are many teams that will be able to compete have cap space like Seattle can, so hopefully that will make a difference

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant believe it is 2020 and we are still trying to figure out the offensive line, between the OL, RB group, TE and defense I don't know what the Hawks are going to do. I am not confident in their ability to draft anymore I would give our rookie class with all those picks we had a D grade. Metcalf was the only player that showed out and I do not see him being successful in any routes other than straight line sprint for a big play.

Our 2017 class is a wash at this point other than Shaquille Griffin, our 2018 class is almost a wash due to injuries and then there is Michael Dickson. We barely have any success drafting in the first two rounds. I want to see more veterans added to this team put on 1-2 year prove it type contracts like a Sheldon day or Jihad Ward type player that is still young enough to play hard and try to earn a bigger contract. There isn't enough leadership on this team we cant leave it to bobby wagner and KJ wright to develop an entire defense.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the defense has no identity right now and believe it or not being good and having a identity do go hand in hand. They are not a run stuffing D they are not a pass stopper they are not good tacklers and they are not big play stoppers. After saying that we saw them play great defense in spurts in a few games but we did see it. Lets hope they can get more consistent with that type play where they were just tenacious. It was their effort that got them into those small spurts of solid defense something i think they can improve on. Still the defense needs a injection of spirited young talent.

Last edited:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apart of me would like to keep clowney but I would cringe at the idea of giving him a mega contract I'm sorry for a mega contract you have to give me more than just a high QB rush percentage. For a DE he is pretty good against the run but other than a couple of pressure he doesn't separate himself from other in the game that much to deserve a huge deal.

At the same time there are so many disappointments with this defense from our 1st round pick being a non factor, Jarran Reed, Green, Ansah, flowers etc we really need to find a new defensive coordinator Ken Norton from his time with the raiders to now shows that he isn't the right guy.

Clowney gets double teamed a lot, offenses literally have to game plan around him, you gotta keep a guy like that... He might not get the sack number but he’s always putting pressure on the QB and rushing throws, and he’s strong as they get pushing people around .... Other players aren’t taking advantage of Clowney getting double teamed, we need other help to really open up a good pass rush... If we lose Clowney we’re gonna be hurting...

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney gets double teamed a lot, offenses literally have to game plan around him, you gotta keep a guy like that... He might not get the sack number but he’s always putting pressure on the QB and rushing throws, and he’s strong as they get pushing people around .... Other players aren’t taking advantage of Clowney getting double teamed, we need other help to really open up a good pass rush... If we lose Clowney we’re gonna be hurting...

I know he brings a lot to the table in terms of what doesnt show up on the stat sheet but I think we will be equally as hurting moving a ton of cap that tooks us so long to get free from only for a guy that gets double teamed. What we know is that defense as a whole is not working and I think we need to really look at making a ton of changes and bring some other types of veteran leadership

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he brings a lot to the table in terms of what doesnt show up on the stat sheet but I think we will be equally as hurting moving a ton of cap that tooks us so long to get free from only for a guy that gets double teamed. What we know is that defense as a whole is not working and I think we need to really look at making a ton of changes and bring some other types of veteran leadership

I'm definitely down for some changes, with you on that... I think if we keep Clowney, which it's looking like we might, we need someone opposite of him to stud out also, Ziggy was a massive disappointment... LJ Collier I hope shows something, I"m a little worried we missed on that one, although he's young and can still improve ...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why the thinking is can't spend money on a top notch player, which Clowney is. It's understandable if the FO doesn't have the cap space but they do. Sign him and build around him to make the line better.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FB_IMG_1581934649116.jpg

OH HELL NO this is what you guys want to do with all our cap space???

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have plenty of cap space, without him our defense will be easily bottom 30. If not him, we have to dump money on someone. This team is depleted on defense.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we want a formidable DE (if we don't pay Clowney) we'll have to pony out 15 mil or so anyways... Paying Clowney that additional 5-7 million wouldn't break the bank when we have a lot of cap space...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 232804

OH HELL NO this is what you guys want to do with all our cap space???

Not particularly. I like Clowney, and he's a physical freak - but I'm not willing to pay $21million per + for a guy who has only played the entire schedule once in six years. Now, at $18 million I'd be ok. I can't imagine Seattle going for record breaking contract with how many holes they have. They could (in theory) re-sign Quintin Jefferson and get Robert Quinn and Shaq Lawson for the same money and have a 4 or 5 deep rotation at DE that would be a significant upgrade over what we had last year with Clowney, and still be able to add players in the draft.

That all said, I'm not gonna be upset if they give Clowney top money to come back. I'm just not sure anyone is going to give him that. I mean to "reset the DE market" he'd need to be looking for $22 million or even more. As athletically gifted as he is, his production doesn't suggest he's worth that. Who knows though, maybe Miami (or someone) would give it to him - they have the space to do it, and a pass rush that needs revamped even more than ours.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the money is reasonably close he'll resign with the Seahawks but I wouldn't put too much stock into him wanting to play for a contender because a lot of player talk like that but money talks even louder.

This upcoming contract will be the biggest he'll get in his career so he's not going to take a discount for a contending team if another team is offering millions more. There's a reason he didn't work out a long term deal with Houston and why he made sure the Seahawks wouldn't reuse the tag on him and that's because he wants to maximize the money he makes.

Colts are the most dangerous team for his services if they are serious about signing him because they simply have more cap space than they know what to do with and not a lot of people they need to spend it on and we know Seattle really doesn't overpay much for players and they typically sign guys for market value.

The player sees the dollar signs 1st and foremost coming off a rookie deal. As you said, this is likely their last time to cash in on a big NFL contract so leaving money on the table is rare in these cases.

While I do believe most of the players really do want to win, but they value millions over Ws. When it's your body on the line, you really have to think that way. 3rd contract, and if it's ever going to happen, they already have their financial future secured...they can afford to chase a ring then.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not particularly. I like Clowney, and he's a physical freak - but I'm not willing to pay $21million per + for a guy who has only played the entire schedule once in six years. Now, at $18 million I'd be ok. I can't imagine Seattle going for record breaking contract with how many holes they have. They could (in theory) re-sign Quintin Jefferson and get Robert Quinn and Shaq Lawson for the same money and have a 4 or 5 deep rotation at DE that would be a significant upgrade over what we had last year with Clowney, and still be able to add players in the draft.

That all said, I'm not gonna be upset if they give Clowney top money to come back. I'm just not sure anyone is going to give him that. I mean to "reset the DE market" he'd need to be looking for $22 million or even more. As athletically gifted as he is, his production doesn't suggest he's worth that. Who knows though, maybe Miami (or someone) would give it to him - they have the space to do it, and a pass rush that needs revamped even more than ours.

I do think we should whatever we can to bring Clowney back, there are of course limits to that.

We aren't going to give up QB money. Maybe some other team will and if they do, we just tip our cap and wish him good luck.

Having said that, for the first time in a many years the Seahawks have some good cap flexibility. They could do some creative stuff with Clowney with up front money that would make a deal more palatable for Clowney even if the dollar numbers are smaller than other deals.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what I don't want is for the 2020 defense to be the same as the 2019 defense minus Reed, Kendricks, Jefferson, etc with the addition of the draft class and some minimum wage/undrafted players to fill the rest that would be a worse scenario with clowney paid QB money.

I would rather have a 4-5 veterans added to this defense to help with this draft class we definitely need veteran leadership in the secondary.