• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clowney

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone explain to me how compensation picks work as it would apply to Clowney's situation? I assume Clowney did not factor into our compensation picks for this years draft but would for next year?

My understanding (which I am pretty sure is not accurate) is that your compensation picks in any given year are based on a net calculation of what FA class you bring in compared to what FA class you lose for that year. It seems like a complicated system.
I definitely cannot tell you what the formula is, but yeah the net of what you lost vs what you signed factors in. Also, timing of the signings matter as well. There was a deadline for free agents to sign with other teams for consideration in comp picks for the '21 draft, and that came and went. Also, players who are released don't count toward comp picks (e.g. signing Greg Olsen won't hurt us).

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FO hasn't signed Griffin even with his interest coming here so I'm thinking the Clowney door is still wide open with a chance to match any offer if they choose too.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone explain to me how compensation picks work as it would apply to Clowney's situation? I assume Clowney did not factor into our compensation picks for this years draft but would for next year?

My understanding (which I am pretty sure is not accurate) is that your compensation picks in any given year are based on a net calculation of what FA class you bring in compared to what FA class you lose for that year. It seems like a complicated system.

We will not be getting any comp picks next year. We brought in more players than we lost.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FO hasn't signed Griffin even with his interest coming here so I'm thinking the Clowney door is still wide open with a chance to match any offer if they choose too.

I really hope this is true.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope this is true.

My thinking is if Clowney shut the door Seattle would have moved on and seems neither has happened. Team facilities seem to possibly opening up soon so I think we'll get a better idea where the Clowney situation stands.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thinking is if Clowney shut the door Seattle would have moved on and seems neither has happened. Team facilities seem to possibly opening up soon so I think we'll get a better idea where the Clowney situation stands.

I honestly believe that Clowney would prefer to come back to Seattle. But he wants to get paid more than we are willing to pay. And more than anyone else is willing to pay him. So now it will boil down to who will give him the most. It's possible that Clowney hasn't actually received any offers from other teams and the Seahawks are just biding their time waiting until he does get an offer and they will match it. I hope that is the case. Because Griffin and Golden are going to sign somewhere else sooner or later.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly believe that Clowney would prefer to come back to Seattle. But he wants to get paid more than we are willing to pay. And more than anyone else is willing to pay him. So now it will boil down to who will give him the most. It's possible that Clowney hasn't actually received any offers from other teams and the Seahawks are just biding their time waiting until he does get an offer and they will match it. I hope that is the case. Because Griffin and Golden are going to sign somewhere else sooner or later.

He seems to like it there so at least I believe he will give Seattle final say if he signs with them or not. He won't get the 20 he's looking for and probably hoping 16.5-18 but he may not even get that. Rumor I read was Cleveland was close to signing him but that fell through. I keep reading Seattle and Tennessee are the front runners with Philly now coming into the mix.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Seahawks are back up to 21 million in cap space. I'm thinking we see some more additions made this off season. Feel like it's a waiting game trying to get good value and not over pay.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Seahawks are back up to 21 million in cap space. I'm thinking we see some more additions made this off season. Feel like it's a waiting game trying to get good value and not over pay.

Yeah John is being typical in playing the waiting game. If 16.5 million is the best deal on the market right now then he wont wager against himself he will leave it at that number until another serious team comes in the picture. Looks like Clowney is also playing the waiting game because with this virus the league doesn't even know the start dates for the season so no need to hurry and sign.

I wonder if GMs hate websites like Spotrac that lets everyone know how much cap space they have and agents are telling teams that they have 21 mill in cap space give us 18-19 of it

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Richardson and Griffin cut this morning at the same time Clowney fires his agent.
Maybe something happening here??

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Richardson and Griffin cut this morning at the same time Clowney fires his agent.
Maybe something happening here??
Also David Moore reworked his contract

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at least he left the NFC. Somewhat surprised we couldn't make it work if $12M in TEN was the winning offer.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at least he left the NFC. Somewhat surprised we couldn't make it work if $12M in TEN was the winning offer.

Yeah seemed a reasonable enough price tag.I guess they go with what they have then.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can’t believe what this team did on the DL.

uwdawgfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 35.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense was crap last year with him anyway,double teamed or not. Some games the opposing QB didnt even have to wash his uniform. Hopefully tighter coverage with the additions we made in backs will give more time for the line to get some pressure.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense was crap last year with him anyway,double teamed or not. Some games the opposing QB didnt even have to wash his uniform. Hopefully tighter coverage with the additions we made in backs will give more time for the line to get some pressure.

But who will be providing said Pressure. Taylor or Robinson

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can’t believe what this team did on the DL.
Yeah, you have mentioned that once or twice. :)

It's definitely a 2013 approach. I am not going to try to convince anyone that Irvin & Mayowa are as good as Bennett & Avril, but the combined sack totals from the years before they were added to the team are similar (18.5 for MB & Avril in 2012, 15.5 for Mayowa & Irvin in 2019). And our back 7 looks pretty fantastic. I guess we'll see if the one hand helps the other like in '13. I took a quick glance at all the DT cuts and nothing really popped out at me, but you gotta think something is on the horizon there since we only kept 3. Maybe we are dangling a snickers in front of Snacks Harrison to coax him out of retirement?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But who will be providing said Pressure. Taylor or Robinson
Mayowa and Irvin combined for 15.5 sacks last year, and that is with Mayowa not starting a single game. Jamal Adams also had 6.5 last year, so he's able to get home if we decide to use him like that as the Jets did. Darrell Taylor's injury is making this looking like a red shirt year for him, but Alton Robinson has been getting rave reviews in camp.