• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clowney

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol Hawks offered Clowney 14 or 15 mill for a 1 year deal at the start of FA and he turned it down or his Agent turned it down. Hmm maybe thats why Clowney fired his agent! Might have had a few 14-16 mill offers and had to settle for 12 million. lmao settle .. i wish i could make 12 mill in 6 months of work.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man the Texans actually won out in the trade its unfortunate that he is gone every year is a super bowl opportunity with Russ being 30+ years old. I am more dissapointed that we couldnt get Griffin and he signed to what like 3 million?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can’t believe what this team did on the DL.
I’m sure they tried hard. We improved at DB, LB, TE, possibly a little at WR and RB, OL jury is out, and tapered off at DL I presume.
I would say we have improved over last year.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We missed out on Clowney, but I don’t think we are necessarily done. Though I haven’t seen any big name pass rushers cut I would expect JS is reviewing what is available heading into week one. I agree that it would have made too much sense to land Griffin, and at $3 million it surprises me that we didn’t Make a stronger push to land him.

where does this leave our cap missing on Clowney, do we now have a surplus of cash?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briefly looking at spotrac, we a just under $12M left in cap space. Some will be needed for FAs through the year and any remaining should roll up into next year’s reduced cap. That might come in very handy next year if the cap drops.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where we’re gonna get a pass rush now... We can’t sit back and never blitz like last year ... we better find a way to get heat, we just don’t have the personnel to run a conservative plan all the time, gotta take some chances ... Defense is the thing holding this team back right now, offensively we’re loaded... Maybe they shoulda held off on signing Greg Olsen and used that money to secure Clowney ? I like Olsen he’s a beast, but having Clowney right now would be more impact ...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol Hawks offered Clowney 14 or 15 mill for a 1 year deal at the start of FA and he turned it down or his Agent turned it down. Hmm maybe thats why Clowney fired his agent! Might have had a few 14-16 mill offers and had to settle for 12 million. lmao settle .. i wish i could make 12 mill in 6 months of work.

I think Cleveland even offered him 17mil he turned down. He lost a good amount of money not realizing the market wouldn't be there for the 20mil he was thinking some team would hand him.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where we’re gonna get a pass rush now... We can’t sit back and never blitz like last year ... we better find a way to get heat, we just don’t have the personnel to run a conservative plan all the time, gotta take some chances ... Defense is the thing holding this team back right now, offensively we’re loaded... Maybe they shoulda held off on signing Greg Olsen and used that money to secure Clowney ? I like Olsen he’s a beast, but having Clowney right now would be more impact ...

Seattle was middle of the pack in Blitzing last season, like 19th in the NFL. Thats been a staple of Pete's since he got here. He doesn't like to blitz that often. He would rather drop a DT/DE into coverage and send someone else on a rush than send 5 or more people. The NFL Average was 26% teams sent 5 or more Seattle's average was 24%. Also digging up the blitz % you can find different sights have the Hawks at 24% or as high as 27% but i think thats caused by people counting a 4 man rush as a blitz because they would send a LB or DB/S and drop a DE or DT.

Last edited:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle was middle of the pack in Blitzing last season, like 19th in the NFL. Thats been a staple of Pete's since he got here. He doesn't like to blitz that often. He would rather drop a DT/DE into coverage and send someone else on a rush than send 5 or more people. The NFL Average was 26% teams sent 5 or more Seattle's average was 24%. Also digging up the blitz % you can find different sights have the Hawks at 24% or as high as 27% but i think thats caused by people counting a 4 man rush as a blitz because they would send a LB or DB/S and drop a DE or DT.

Pete’s philosophy works great when you have the DL who can apply pressure, we’re not looking strong in that area, so it might be time to mix that up a bit and stop being so predictable... Last year I was pulling my hair out sometimes seeing 3 LB’s on the field in long passing situations... We gotta be more aggressive, just mix it up and not let teams know exactly how we’re coming at them...

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has “snacks” Harrison been signed? At this point I just assume clog up the gaps to avoid getting rushed on and hope our lockdown secondary can manage the passing game. Pass rush will be a work in progress this year.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This first game on the road against an elite passing attack will show what this defense can do. I never really thought of Clowney as a pass rusher more so than a hybrid defensive player that can effectively play any position in the front 7. I also don't know how I feel about him missing all of training camp and just being plugged in 4 days before gameday which is what the Titans are doing. Still us trying to win a super bowl we need any big time player we can get to get us there.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have 3 defensive tackles on the entire roster. 3.

Go through our entire defensive line corps. How many of them would anyone list as better than average? 1? 2? How many can you honestly even list as league average?

I am just terrified that we are going to get completely run over this Sunday on defense.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have 3 defensive tackles on the entire roster. 3.

Go through our entire defensive line corps. How many of them would anyone list as better than average? 1? 2? How many can you honestly even list as league average?

I am just terrified that we are going to get completely run over this Sunday on defense.

Atlanta's rushing attack sucks, I think we'll be fine... I have a bigger concern week 3 vs. Dallas if we don't sign some help, although who the F are you going to sign at that point? Collier is kind of a hybrid DT/DE, but I agree with you...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Clowney going on IR due to a knee injury, I'm so glad we didn't pay Clowney the money after all... You wonder if that time off contributed to the reason for a knee injury... I couldn't be happier with Dunlap at this point... Here is a comparison of the two so far this season...

• Clowney: 8 games; 0 sacks; 4 TFL; 6 QBH; 4 PD's (1yr 13 million; 6.25 million signing bonus; 11.5 guaranteed)
  • Dunlap: 3 games; 3.5 sacks; 5 TFL; 6 QBH; 1 PD (7th rounder/Finney; 1yr 2 million; 3 million roster bonus given to him March 2021 slated to make 10.1 million thru 2021);
As of now, we're slated to get Dunlap for roughly 3 million cheaper than Clowney and that's over a 2 year period for Dunlap and 1 yr for Clowney... My guess is that the Hawks will possibly rework Dunlap's contract next year to extend him another year or two but if not, we'd have gotten a pretty good deal over all signing Dunlap over Clowney...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Clowney going on IR due to a knee injury, I'm so glad we didn't pay Clowney the money after all... You wonder if that time off contributed to the reason for a knee injury... I couldn't be happier with Dunlap at this point... Here is a comparison of the two so far this season...

• Clowney: 8 games; 0 sacks; 4 TFL; 6 QBH; 4 PD's (1yr 13 million; 6.25 million signing bonus; 11.5 guaranteed)
  • Dunlap: 3 games; 3.5 sacks; 5 TFL; 6 QBH; 1 PD (7th rounder/Finney; 1yr 2 million; 3 million roster bonus given to him March 2021 slated to make 10.1 million thru 2021);
As of now, we're slated to get Dunlap for roughly 3 million cheaper than Clowney and that's over a 2 year period for Dunlap and 1 yr for Clowney... My guess is that the Hawks will possibly rework Dunlap's contract next year to extend him another year or two but if not, we'd have gotten a pretty good deal over all signing Dunlap over Clowney...

I was fine signing Clowney to a 1 year deal since he played very well for us last year. He didn't get a lot of sacks but he had a lot of hurries/QB hits and was the only person doing F all against the run which we were terrible at but have since improved. That said, I preferred Dunlap if I knew he was in play - as some of you have seen I wanted us to draft him and I've wanted this guy on the team for the last decade and I was NOT interested in a long term contract for Clowney.

Clowney was always known to have work ethic issues and he's been injured routinely throughout his career. It wouldn't have shocked me at all if he got a 5 year $75M or something and then taken plays off, been routinely injured, and mailed it in the rest of his career. I really hope Dunlap being 32 in short order would be down with a 3 year $21-$25M or something next year with Seattle. Yah that'd make him 35, but Cincy for the first few years did not play him that much... and Dunlap has always been healthy (no real injury history). I'll knock on wood that, but to me he's a much safer choice than Clowney.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was fine signing Clowney to a 1 year deal since he played very well for us last year. He didn't get a lot of sacks but he had a lot of hurries/QB hits and was the only person doing F all against the run which we were terrible at but have since improved. That said, I preferred Dunlap if I knew he was in play - as some of you have seen I wanted us to draft him and I've wanted this guy on the team for the last decade and I was NOT interested in a long term contract for Clowney.

Clowney was always known to have work ethic issues and he's been injured routinely throughout his career. It wouldn't have shocked me at all if he got a 5 year $75M or something and then taken plays off, been routinely injured, and mailed it in the rest of his career. I really hope Dunlap being 32 in short order would be down with a 3 year $21-$25M or something next year with Seattle. Yah that'd make him 35, but Cincy for the first few years did not play him that much... and Dunlap has always been healthy (no real injury history). I'll knock on wood that, but to me he's a much safer choice than Clowney.
Dunlap was a very good get at the deadline for us while giving up very little. 3.5 sacks in 3 games so far and 6 QB hits is something we had none of before. He seems to be getting more comfortable and has said the toughest part is learning all new terminology after all these years so I believe we will see more production as the season winds down. Honestly, Clowney would not likely give us a lot more production and would be hurt likely. At $15mil, he wasn't worth it. Carlos is a steal at 4.5 or whatever rental. We will still need to address this before next year but right now, I just hope he can help us get the D to middle of the pack and give us a shot come playoff time..
We have 3-4 games coming up that bode well for the Dline to improve. All 4 teams have shitty Olines and 3 have poor QBs. It will inflate the stats a little so I'm not gonna pretend it makes us great up front but it will build confidence and allow them to get geared up for the Rams and Niners games as we push into the playoffs. Hopefully, our DBs get healthy and RBs stay healthy the rest of the way.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting Dunlap at the trade deadline was a great save. But I'm still pretty disappointed with the FO in how they handled our DL in the offseason. But we have to hope that the DL continues to improve and that Adams/Dunbar/Reed start to fit into the defense better.