• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cleveland Browns Franchise History

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns are finally rebuilding the right way. Instead of throwing money and picks away on flashy "franchise QBs" they have been building on defense. This season, their D will be one of the better units in the league.

However, they still don't have a QB and their WR unit, while deep, is bereft of game breaking playmakers. I see a lot of ugly games this season, but in a good way. Lots of defensive slugfests.

They are also one of the youngest teams in the league. Just missing a few pieces and they can be a legitimate playoff/division contender, which is all you can really ask for in today's NFL.

I think OFC will be the problem...solid OL, no standout name, but decent stable of RBs. You're right Bowe & Hartline are not going to strike much fear in the DEF...they need mistake free football from the QB position and like you said...win ugly. The early reports are that Shelton is looking like a difference maker. If Kruger can stay at his '14 level and get some help from Mingo...the Browns can win 7 to 9 games if they are not turning the ball over a lot.

Need a legit deep threat and a trigger man...Erving maybe takes over C or G position next year and becomes a pro bowler...who knows...but to pass on a QB for the rest of the draft (12 picks total I think) as if they're okay with that position...I didn't get that. Maybe this Connor Cook kid lands in CLE.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think OFC will be the problem...solid OL, no standout name, but decent stable of RBs. You're right Bowe & Hartline are not going to strike much fear in the DEF...they need mistake free football from the QB position and like you said...win ugly. The early reports are that Shelton is looking like a difference maker. If Kruger can stay at his '14 level and get some help from Mingo...the Browns can win 7 to 9 games if they are not turning the ball over a lot.

Need a legit deep threat and a trigger man...Erving maybe takes over C or G position next year and becomes a pro bowler...who knows...but to pass on a QB for the rest of the draft (12 picks total I think) as if they're okay with that position...I didn't get that. Maybe this Connor Cook kid lands in CLE.

I don't know that they passed so much as they didn't see the value where their picks were. In recent years, they've had massive holes everywhere on the team and took an approach similar to the Pats in collecting as many picks up via trades and moving down that they could. This past year, they took a similar approach IMO, taking the best value at their slots. Outside of the top 2 QBs in the draft, there didn't seem to be anyone that people were super high on and they do already have 2 young guys in Manziel and Conner Shaw.

Next year, they may well go for a QB if the opportunity presents itself. Hopefully, they aren't in the top 5 picks of the draft tho.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that they passed so much as they didn't see the value where their picks were. In recent years, they've had massive holes everywhere on the team and took an approach similar to the Pats in collecting as many picks up via trades and moving down that they could. This past year, they took a similar approach IMO, taking the best value at their slots. Outside of the top 2 QBs in the draft, there didn't seem to be anyone that people were super high on and they do already have 2 young guys in Manziel and Conner Shaw.

Next year, they may well go for a QB if the opportunity presents itself. Hopefully, they aren't in the top 5 picks of the draft tho.

The draft class could be great, and maybe there wasn't much value there at QB, but with 12 picks and Shaw and JM as my prospects...........I would have spent the wheel again. Shaw is nothing more than a clipboard carrier...Manziel...No being able to beat out McCown? I know he's banged up, but just don't think he's the guy.

You're right, they can't just chase a QB, because they need one, but as Thomas Dimitroff said...you don't have a team without a QB, and when you don't have one it's a never ending search to get one.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft class could be great, and maybe there wasn't much value there at QB, but with 12 picks and Shaw and JM as my prospects...........I would have spent the wheel again. Shaw is nothing more than a clipboard carrier...Manziel...No being able to beat out McCown? I know he's banged up, but just don't think he's the guy.

You're right, they can't just chase a QB, because they need one, but as Thomas Dimitroff said...you don't have a team without a QB, and when you don't have one it's a never ending search to get one.

I think the Browns are a testament to how difficult it is to actually find a good QB. :pout:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Browns are a testament to how difficult it is to actually find a good QB. :pout:

Chances are going up...a few teams in that boat are already about to cycle in another draft pick (BUF, and NYJ)...HOU is probably still in the market, but OAK, JAX, TN, TB are out of the QB market for a bit.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't be seeing that he's out with an elbow injury :L

Yep, his potential seems now like a wet dream. He finally seems like he grew up a little off the field, but the injury bug displays itself. You just get the feeling, his career just won't be a game changer.