• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cleveland Browns Franchise History

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From 1947 until 1990 The Browns only had like five or six losing seasons. Up until 1990 at that point they were in the top ten of winningest franchises.

However from 1990 onward it gets ugly. Since 1990 Cleveland has three winning seasons. They've had eight head coaches,had over twenty starting QB's.

I do feel like at this moment they've built a really good roster. The defense could be a top ten in my opinion. The line and even the secondary look great. The offense including the line,running game,receivers are decent. Only thing missing is a QB. Manziel/McCown not sure if either one will be good.

VFL1995

Vol For Eternity
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we get just average QB play I feel like we can possibly be a playoff team. Pretty much every other position on the team is good. I don't understand Pettine's deal with starting McCown he's thrown 2 interceptions in 10 attempts this preseason and Manziel has obviously improved. I'd like to see him get first team reps and see how well he does.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From 1947 until 1990 The Browns only had like five or six losing seasons. Up until 1990 at that point they were in the top ten of winningest franchises.

However from 1990 onward it gets ugly. Since 1990 Cleveland has three winning seasons. They've had eight head coaches,had over twenty starting QB's.

I do feel like at this moment they've built a really good roster. The defense could be a top ten in my opinion. The line and even the secondary look great. The offense including the line,running game,receivers are decent. Only thing missing is a QB. Manziel/McCown not sure if either one will be good.

CLE got hosed losing the Browns in the 1st place, but it was once a storied organization as you pointed out...sadly it all happened pre-SB era so TV wasn't a big part of it, most people under 50 have never known the Browns to win much of anything...as the same time the Steelers were a losing franchise for much of the pre-Noll era...you wonder how the tide turned.

I think some old time Browns fans will say Moddell buying the team was the down fall.

This Browns team...they are close, strong in the trenches, able to rotate Phil Taylor and the rookie Shelton @ NT...gonna be hard to run against up the middle...maybe not good enough on the edge on OFC or DEF to win the DIV...Of course QB...Having seen McCown up close LY...Manziel apparently is just not deemed starter material... imo they took a step back on OFC getting rid of Hoyer but we'll have to see how that works out.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CLE got hosed losing the Browns in the 1st place, but it was once a storied organization as you pointed out...sadly it all happened pre-SB era so TV wasn't a big part of it, most people under 50 have never known the Browns to win much of anything...as the same time the Steelers were a losing franchise for much of the pre-Noll era...you wonder how the tide turned.

I think some old time Browns fans will say Moddell buying the team was the down fall.

This Browns team...they are close, strong in the trenches, able to rotate Phil Taylor and the rookie Shelton @ NT...gonna be hard to run against up the middle...maybe not good enough on the edge on OFC or DEF to win the DIV...Of course QB...Having seen McCown up close LY...Manziel apparently is just not deemed starter material... imo they took a step back on OFC getting rid of Hoyer but we'll have to see how that works out.

The Browns are finally rebuilding the right way. Instead of throwing money and picks away on flashy "franchise QBs" they have been building on defense. This season, their D will be one of the better units in the league.

However, they still don't have a QB and their WR unit, while deep, is bereft of game breaking playmakers. I see a lot of ugly games this season, but in a good way. Lots of defensive slugfests.

They are also one of the youngest teams in the league. Just missing a few pieces and they can be a legitimate playoff/division contender, which is all you can really ask for in today's NFL.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense is loaded with talent. Their offense, not so much. We know their QB situation, no need to touch on that. But no great WR or RB? Sure they have some talent, and are still building, but I don't think they have the playoffs in them this season.

WRs... Bowe is a possession receiver, nothing more. Doesn't have the speed to open up the offense. He's a smart vet with good hands. Hartline & Hawkins are intriguing, but slot WR are their ceiling. They need to draft a top end WR in next years draft.

RBs... Crowell, West, Johnson? Their RB coach went on record saying nobody in his group "wants the job". Decent talent, and a very young group. So plenty of room to grow. Injuries seem to have plagued them this offseason.

They seem to be building a team now though. I'm not sold on either McCown or Manziel, but they seem to be putting better talent in position to build. Their Defense is going to be the top of the division in no time. Shelton looks nasty. If either QB steps up in a big way (McCown is my guess), and they add a top end WR to the group next season, then I'd make them a playoff contender. For now, they are still building.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The original Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns are finally rebuilding the right way. Instead of throwing money and picks away on flashy "franchise QBs" they have been building on defense.
Is this the reason they drafted Johnny Manziel?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense is loaded with talent. Their offense, not so much. We know their QB situation, no need to touch on that. But no great WR or RB? Sure they have some talent, and are still building, but I don't think they have the playoffs in them this season.

WRs... Bowe is a possession receiver, nothing more. Doesn't have the speed to open up the offense. He's a smart vet with good hands. Hartline & Hawkins are intriguing, but slot WR are their ceiling. They need to draft a top end WR in next years draft.

RBs... Crowell, West, Johnson? Their RB coach went on record saying nobody in his group "wants the job". Decent talent, and a very young group. So plenty of room to grow. Injuries seem to have plagued them this offseason.

They seem to be building a team now though. I'm not sold on either McCown or Manziel, but they seem to be putting better talent in position to build. Their Defense is going to be the top of the division in no time. Shelton looks nasty. If either QB steps up in a big way (McCown is my guess), and they add a top end WR to the group next season, then I'd make them a playoff contender. For now, they are still building.

Yeah, still a few pieces away IMO. Run game should be ok, but with other defenses crowding the box due to their poor passing game, yards will be hard to come by.

They took a flyer on Pryor becoming a dynamic WR (he still might but is sidelined due to a hammy)...he certainly has the size and speed for it.

Their RB group seems to be a stable of similar mid-level backs, which works ok if you have a decent passing game to spread things out. Problem is they don't.

IMO, they will struggle quite a bit, but will be in most every game. Manziel reportedly has shown a ton of improvement since last year. He might be their starter by mid season, though my hopes on him remain pretty grounded.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this the reason they drafted Johnny Manziel?

They went for value there. Manziel was taken late in the 1st with their 2nd pick of that round and was seen as a guy with top tier upside. In previous regimes, they might have traded away some picks to grab one of the other QBs in the first.

Personally, I wanted them to take Bridgewater.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They went for value there. Manziel was taken late in the 1st with their 2nd pick of that round and was seen as a guy with top tier upside. In previous regimes, they might have traded away some picks to grab one of the other QBs in the first.

Personally, I wanted them to take Bridgewater.
Bridgewater looks like the real deal. A good pick for Minnesota.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IF Gordon would have not been such an idiot, this team could be legit minus the QB lol
You would have Gordon as your deep threat and number 1.
Bowe the posession WR at 2.
Hawkins and Hartline at 3 and 4.

At RB they have depth and young depth. West, Crowell, and Duke are all young and have high ceilings.

The defense and o-line is pretty stacked.

Now lets see if they can get a number to take over for the idiot Gordon and find a truly legit QB.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF Gordon would have not been such an idiot, this team could be legit minus the QB lol
You would have Gordon as your deep threat and number 1.
Bowe the posession WR at 2.
Hawkins and Hartline at 3 and 4.

At RB they have depth and young depth. West, Crowell, and Duke are all young and have high ceilings.

The defense and o-line is pretty stacked.

Now lets see if they can get a number to take over for the idiot Gordon and find a truly legit QB.
Our Rb's suck ass. Hopefully Duke developes into a good back

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns current QB situation is dy-:nono:-mite! Just check these incredible #'s out...

-Josh McCown: 1-11 last year w/ the Bucs & 17-32 overall:yes:
-Johnny College: 0-2 last year:yes:

:gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah:

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we get just average QB play I feel like we can possibly be a playoff team. Pretty much every other position on the team is good. I don't understand Pettine's deal with starting McCown he's thrown 2 interceptions in 10 attempts this preseason and Manziel has obviously improved. I'd like to see him get first team reps and see how well he does.
Won't be seeing that he's out with an elbow injury :L