• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clemson needs to downsize their stadium

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only three schools who travel in the ACC: Clemson, FSU, and Virginia Tech. Georgia Tech will travel to Clemson and FSU but other than that they are with the rest. Hell, the NC schools barely travel to games they have in Charlotte either preseason or bowls.

Hell yeah.

And that is another problem with the ACC. Georgia Tech. They are our closest rival. 250 miles away and we
only see them every six year. Every 12 years for a Home game. (At least for you guys, they are your
cross-over game. We get Miami as a cross-over, but they're 500 miles from Tally)

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Clemson article hit the nail on the head with..."Clemson opens the season Sept. 1 when it hosts Furman." - that sounds like the bigger issue here.

As for Nebraska... fuck that, keep it. They don't want us to release the balloons... don't let us score a touchdown. These environmental protections and activists are getting out of hand, creating something to gripe about so they feel some sense of purpose in their life. I would like to see the 'scientific' study on how Nebraska's 50 year balloon tradition is destroying the environment.

Otherwise

tenor.gif

Agreed, I was furious when they stopped the balloons. Screw the turtles. Always hated the University of Maryland anyway.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the problem with playing in the ACC. Too many schools don't travel very well.

Wake doesn't. BC doesn't. Pitt, Syracuse, Duke, UVA...none of them bring anybody. It is difficult to allocate tickets/season tickets on a yearly basis. Teams are better off scheduling 1-AA in-state opponents or border
state 1-AA's than even P5 schools from far away. The 1-AA fan will travel to a "name" school just to enjoy
a real football weekend. Clemson, it seems, always schedules an in-state 1-AA. There is nothing wrong with
that. It sure as hell lowers the guarantee. You can knock off 100 grand just by keeping them off an airplane.

We don't have that luxury. There's only two in the state and we won't schedule FAMU in football, baseball or
basketball, because there will be trouble. Even in women's sports. Basketball only gives them a game a year
and the same in softball. Talk about a school having a chip on their shoulder...good heavens.
I don't think we've had more than a couple of dozen fans from the opponent's school come to the Sun Bolw since we joined C-USA. And who is to blame them...our closest C-USA opponent is North Texas at 639 miles! NExt closest is Rice at 746 miles. And, it is only 1,646 miles to Marshall...can't believe they don't make the trek.

In all fairness, UTEP fans don't recriprocate either...except to North Texas and Rice. We have large alumni bases in DFW and Houston. But, that ain't "traveling".

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU has a similar problem but its with the students.

Some bail on weekends and go back home(Maryland,NJ,Pa,OH) while others .... Have a tough time walking in from the parking lots...:dhd:

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU has a similar problem but its with the students.

Some bail on weekends and go back home(Maryland,NJ,Pa,OH) while others .... Have a tough time walking in from the parking lots...:dhd:

Probably too busy looking for couches to burn...

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we've had more than a couple of dozen fans from the opponent's school come to the Sun Bolw since we joined C-USA. And who is to blame them...our closest C-USA opponent is North Texas at 639 miles! NExt closest is Rice at 746 miles. And, it is only 1,646 miles to Marshall...can't believe they don't make the trek.

In all fairness, UTEP fans don't recriprocate either...except to North Texas and Rice. We have large alumni bases in DFW and Houston. But, that ain't "traveling".

It's understandable in UTEP's case since they are so far from their conference mates but other than Miami, BC, and Syracuse everybody else is just a day trip away from Clemson. As I stated, the NC schools will not even travel a couple hours to Charlotte to support their teams

What was the deal with all those empty seats at NC State’s football opener?

There was too much blue in Bank of America Stadium on Saturday for Will Webb.

There were whole sections in the upper deck, the shade of the Carolina Panthers blue, unoccupied for South Carolina’s 35-28 win over N.C. State this past Saturday afternoon.

The announced attendance for the season-opening game was 50,367. The NFL stadium in uptown Charlotte has a capacity of 75,412.

“We’re happy with what we had, but we wish we had more,” said Webb, who is the executive director of the Charlotte Sports Foundation, which annually runs the Belk College Kickoff and Belk Bowl and will host the ACC football championship in December.

For an anticipated opener, between the two largest state universities in North and South Carolina, there were a lot of empty seats.

The upper-deck sections in the West end zone were particularly empty. If not for the school’s bands, there would have been more open real estate in the lower bowl, too.

The attendance was in line with last year’s Belk Bowl between Virginia Tech and Arkansas (46,902), the 2015 Belk Bowl between N.C. State and Mississippi State (46,423) and the kickoff game between UNC and the Gamecocks in 2015 (51,664).

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the problem with a lot of leagues.

They worry about the so-called "conf footprint" and not about live fans at ball games. Without extremely large fans bases,
the fans are not always going to travel to a game by airplane. Maybe once a year, depending on who the opponent is.
When you fly you get trapped into 2 or 3 nite Motel guarantees and a rental vehicle. You're talking about a lot of cash.
The TV revenue is great for schools, but with it comes more frequency with TV appearances. I can watch a game just
fine on the couch as I can at the stadium.

Tally was always a 230 mile drive for me, and night games would demand a stay over, but I never stayed in Tally. I'd drive
100 miles to Lake City and stay there. (Unless UF was playing home...then Lake City would jack their prices out of sight).
When that happened I'd take the old way and stay in Perry, 50 miles south of Tally. It would take an extra hour to get
home but I would save 100 bucks.