• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chip Kelly vs Nick Saban

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's compare the two best College football coaches of the last 4 years. I will go 4 years back because That is the only amount of time Chip has been a head coach.

If you just became an AD today and had to pick one of these coaches to direct your program for the next 6 years, who do you take?

Chip Kelly:
-49 years old
-Posted an impressive 46-7 record at Oregon in 4 seasons
-4 straight BCS bowls
-1 National championship appearance
-2-2 in BCS bowls
-Elite recruiter

Nick Saban
-61 years old
-68-13 overall record at Alabama
- 3 national championships

In all honesty, i'd choose Chip Kelly over Saban if I were to build a program right now. Chip has proven he can build a program and he is also several years younger than Saban. Saban is closer to retirement. No doubt with the talent returning at Oregon, Chip is in that NCG.

Nick has very good history, but looking ahead in the future, Chip is the man.

Thoughts?
-------
Don't think despite the high octane offense that Kellys teams would be a match for Sabans. Why? Finesse vs. brute strength. I'll take that latter anyday. Plus, Saban always manages to find a QB with very good passing skills which keeps defenses back on their heels

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Don't think despite the high octane offense that Kellys teams would be a match for Sabans. Why? Finesse vs. brute strength. I'll take that latter anyday. Plus, Saban always manages to find a QB with very good passing skills which keeps defenses back on their heels
That "brute strength" defense of Saban's, sure in the hell didn't help him against the Sooners in the Sugar Bowl.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That "brute strength" defense of Saban's, sure in the hell didn't help him against the Sooners in the Sugar Bowl.

Yep, Alabama has been a total failure as team and needs to find a philosophy that works.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Alabama has been a total failure as team and needs to find a philosophy that works.
Come on dude, don't put words into my mouth!!! I "never" said that "Alabama has been a total failure as team". Don't be so damn sensitive. I was referring to Bama's so called "brute strength" defense, which they didn't have last year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on dude, don't put words into my mouth!!! I "never" said that "Alabama has been a total failure as team". Don't be so damn sensitive. I was referring to Bama's so called "brute strength" defense, which they didn't have last year.

The comparison wasn't based on 1 game or 1 season, but you tried to sum up a response with a single game.

I just added a little hyperbole to highlight the absurdity of your post.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comparison wasn't based on 1 game or 1 season, but you tried to sum up a response with a single game.

I just added a little hyperbole to highlight the absurdity of your post.
Whatever!!! I was referring to Bama's last "two games" last season. As I stated before, "Bama has been very good the last 5/6 years", but their defense wasn't all that good last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever!!! I was referring to Bama's last "two games" last season. As I stated before, "Bama has been very good the last 5/6 years", but their defense wasn't all that good last year.
You might want to read my comment #122 again, as I stated "That "brute strength" defense of Saban's, sure in the hell didn't help him against the Sooners in the Sugar Bowl". I was referring to one game, but since you mentioned it, Bama's defense didn't look all that good against Auburn either.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever!!! I was referring to Bama's last "two games" last season. As I stated before, "Bama has been very good the last 5/6 years".

Auburn scored 5 TD's, one of which was the run back at the last second. Otherwise only 28. They had less total yards than Alabama, but they were able to convert on 3rd down better(which is why we get mad at Nuss for not running the damn ball enough). And of course, that was against an offense that is basically a quadruple option with Auburn getting away with some lineman down field a few times. Alabama missed 4 FG's is what cost us that game, not defense really.

Oklahoma scored 5 of it's 6 TD's off Alabama turnovers. They had a few long field drives off turnovers as Alabama fumbled right on the Oklahoma line once, but got the benefit of short field a few times as well. As you might have guessed, Alabama had 5 turnovers offensively for that game, and that is what actually lost the game. And of course, I've yet to see a single person who watched the game not say Knight had the game of his life making crazy throws he hadn't been in the past much. That's football, defense is often times about trying to force the QB to make low percentage throws and if your QB is hot and makes them, that's just the way it is.

But like I said, comparing 2 games as being typical of Nick Saban and Alabama is just wrong.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might want to read my comment #122 again, as I stated "That "brute strength" defense of Saban's, sure in the hell didn't help him against the Sooners in the Sugar Bowl". I was referring to one game, but since you mentioned it, Bama's defense didn't look all that good against Auburn either.

So once again - Alabama is a failure because they lost 2 games last year.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn scored 5 TD's, one of which was the run back at the last second. Otherwise only 28. They had less total yards than Alabama, but they were able to convert on 3rd down better(which is why we get mad at Nuss for not running the damn ball enough). And of course, that was against an offense that is basically a quadruple option with Auburn getting away with some lineman down field a few times. Alabama missed 4 FG's is what cost us that game, not defense really.

Oklahoma scored 5 of it's 6 TD's off Alabama turnovers. They had a few long field drives off turnovers as Alabama fumbled right on the Oklahoma line once, but got the benefit of short field a few times as well. As you might have guessed, Alabama had 5 turnovers offensively for that game, and that is what actually lost the game. And of course, I've yet to see a single person who watched the game not say Knight had the game of his life making crazy throws he hadn't been in the past much. That's football, defense is often times about trying to force the QB to make low percentage throws and if your QB is hot and makes them, that's just the way it is.

But like I said, comparing 2 games as being typical of Nick Saban and Alabama is just wrong.
Damn, all of this BS you wrote, sounds like a hell of a lot of excuses to me. Let's face it, Bama's defense was not as good last year. Their defense was much better the previous 3/4 years. Again I "never" said that Bama's last two games "were" typical of Nick Saban and Bama". You are putting words into my mouth. Don't be so sensitive, Bama was just not as good last year, as they have been in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, all of this BS you wrote, sounds like a hell of a lot of excuses to me. Let's face it, Bama's defense was not as good last year. Their defense was much better the previous 3/4 years. Again I "never" said that Bama's last two games "were" typical of Nick Saban and Bama". You are putting words into my mouth. Don't be so sensitive, Bama was just not as good last year, as they have been in the past.

You are the dumbass who tried to counter someone bringing up the usual strengths of Nick Saban's team with 2 games last season. Now you are crying because the ignorance of it was pointed out.

If you are not saying the last two games were typical, why even bring them up in a discussion that is about 2 coaches over their career and what they typically bring to the table? Was the discussion just too advanced for you to follow along?

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So once again - Alabama is a failure because they lost 2 games last year.
Dude, I "never" said "Alabama is a failure because they lost 2 games last year". Read my comment #122 again, as I stated "That "brute strength" defense of Saban's, sure in the hell didn't help him against the Sooners in the Sugar Bowl". I was referring to one game!!!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I "never" said "Alabama is a failure because they lost 2 games last year". Read my comment #122 again, as I stated "That "brute strength" defense of Saban's, sure in the hell didn't help him against the Sooners in the Sugar Bowl". I was referring to one game!!!

Yeah, it's the fact you are referring to one game in this discussion that makes you a dumbass.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are the dumbass who tried to counter someone bringing up the usual strengths of Nick Saban's team with 2 games last season. Now you are crying because the ignorance of it was pointed out.

If you are not saying the last two games were typical, why even bring them up in a discussion that is about 2 coaches over their career and what they typically bring to the table? Was the discussion just too advanced for you to follow along?
Sorry dude, if I hit a nerve. I can't help you if you can't understand my comment. My original comment was about Bama's lost to the Sooners in the Sugar Bowl. By the way, you are showing your "true colors", by calling people names like "dumbass". I will just consider the source

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry dude, if I hit a nerve. I can't help you if you can't understand my comment. My original comment was about Bama's lost to the Sooners in the Sugar Bowl. By the way, you are showing your "true colors", by calling people names like "dumbass". I will just consider the source

If you lack the ability to follow the discussion and make a reply that is actually relevant to that which you are replying to, then dumbass seems to be an appropriate description IMO.

:noidea:

Or hell, prove that I'm the dumbass and explain how in the world a single game has anything at all to do with it. Are you just randomly saying Alabama lost it's past 2 games, or is there actually something of importance to it?

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you lack the ability to follow the discussion and make a reply that is actually relevant to that which you are replying to, then dumbass seems to be an appropriate description IMO.

:noidea:

Or hell, prove that I'm the dumbass and explain how in the world a single game has anything at all to do with it. Are you just randomly saying Alabama lost it's past 2 games, or is there actually something of importance to it?
Dude, I'm done for the day!!! Have a good evening and good luck to you and Bama on the upcoming season.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I'm done for the day!!! Have a good evening and good luck to you and Bama on the upcoming season.

Thanks, I hope we can win enough to make a bowl this year.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
I'll concede on one issue. It seems if 'Bama doesn't get to a NC game (bowl), there appears to be a letdown of sorts. Don't know if it's the payers/the coach/or both. But other than that, I'd gladly take the Tides' defense for my Huskers every year.:suds::suds: