• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Chiefs V Browns 1/17/2021

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucked for sure but it's not like it was made with 5 seconds left in the game. Who knows how the Chiefs would have played it down by two instead of up by 5.

Edit: actually would have been down by 1 or 3 as the Browns would have assuredly went for 2
Right, there are so many variables in the game that would have been different. The Browns certainly would have been in a better position but its hard to say if the rest of the game plays out in the same way at all if the game had been closer at the half. Maybe Mahomes never gets knocked out? Chaos Theory and all.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to be like this but if the Browns couldn't get past Henne then they would have been smoked by the Bills.

That's just who I wanted to see to ensure that either the Browns or Bills would be in the Superbowl. That, and Kelce is a tool.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it fair to say that they are both lowering their head?

It is, which is probably caused the helmet to helmet contact, but one is lowering their head diving towards an open endzone, one is doing it heading towards a person. That hit is probably more dangerous for the defender than it was the ball carrier as he is putting all the pressure from that hit onto his spine

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it fair to say that they are both lowering their head?
It was a blindside helmet to helmet with the crown. I mean it is a clear penalty with the ref standing there. I understand at times a WR can lower his head to make a play and that can happen by accident but this didn’t look like an accident. Now, that has no factor anyway bc it is a clear crown hit. This was an easy call imo. It definitely changed all momentum of the game but not saying it changed the outcome. It definitely pissed me off how you can miss a call that easy standing right over the play.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the Chiefs defender that made the helmet to helmet contact before the ball was fumbled into the end zone.
I know. Whats bad about that play is that I think he loses that ball if Sorenson just does a normal hit on him. The ball isnt secured at all.

I also understand that the Browns fans are mad at the ref but the huge issue is the rule itself imo. Nobody would be talking about this play if he fumbled at the 1. Or the rule was different.

Last edited:

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the dead cap would be pretty rough. Assume they see how it goes until trade deadline.
Might as well. Cap should be OK for at least 2 more years until Garrett, Ward AND Baker deals kick in (assuming Ward/Baker get big deals).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went out for a walk after Henne's interception. It felt like the playoff Chiefs of the old. Glad I was wrong!
He'll be seen as a genius for it, but Reid tried his best to be the Reid of old and give the Browns a shot.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need at least 1 WR that can take the top off. Too easy to pin the Browns in a box with a bunch of 4.6 dudes.
Maybe, but other than this game they were scoring at will against some tough defenses. If they think OBJ can come back I doubt they spend big money on a WR.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be seen as a genius for it, but Reid tried his best to be the Reid of old and give the Browns a shot.
I'll never understand why Henne>Moore in the eyes of Reid. Henne is catastrophically bad even with Hill/Kelce to carry some of his play. Happy with the playcalls in a vacuum, but Henne is a prototypical fuckup backup QB.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even so, the Browns offense is still good enough to function without a deep threat.

Browns need defense way more than offense imo.
Beat me to it. agree. Other than this game they moved up and down the field on some tough defenses the last couple months. Speed on defense more important. Maybe that comes with Greedy and Delpit (don't know their speed) but cannot count on Greedy. Faster LB would help.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton beat me to it. Seems like he’s more of a luxury right now. But he does add another dynamic level to that offense. Strange though that when he’s healthy they were a worse team. I’m sure they’ll chalk it up to growing pains and give it another shot.
I would add to previous comments OBJ a lot like Baker in the sense way to many fanboys or outright critics (not saying you are either). Many just assume he was the problem and no way maybe he would have improved along with rest of team as they learned the O. Or some were fanboys AND Baker critics and just said his issues were all Baker if he could not make it work and/or forced balls to him.

I lean to the former, but either scenario I guess is possible. Agree with you unless someone wows them with an offer he gets another shot.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats weird was that this playoff game was really similar to almost every Chiefs game this year if you remove the parts where Mahomes got hurt and the Chiefs got the fumble out of the endzone. If the Chiefs and Browns scored about 7 more points apiece then it would've felt pretty consistent with how the Chiefs have played all season. Browns offense might have actually been the most balanced in the AFC with the run and pass both being equal threats. Chiefs have so many injuries impacting their run game that its just adequate and the Bills YOLO pass game is working out for them. Chubb had a couple of key drops early and had that been Hunt instead we might have seen a different result. Maybe the Browns need to make some reviews in a better fashion. Browns probably left about 14 points on the board in total while the Chiefs probably left even more but many of them were just typical Chiefs mistakes. Missing an extra point and a gimme field goal. Henne's deep pass showing off why most people can't play QB in the NFL without looking silly.

We got an interesting, sloppy football game instead of what could've been one of the games of the year had both teams gotten some better breaks. Browns look like they'll be in the playoff mix for awhile. Its hard to keep a good offensive line and run game going, though. If the Browns get a couple more pieces on defense then they'll probably be like the Niners next year assuming that the Niners come back healthy. Not a bad place to be considering that the Niners are a Super Bowl contender if healthy.

Chiefs need Mahomes to get healthy. CEH to get healthy specifically for the Bills matchup where CEH had his best game of the season. Its hard to limp along a veteran, banged up team too far into the playoffs. I've seen quite a few STL Cardinals teams punch above their weight without all of their guys healthy but at some point you play a team thats destined to win and if you don't have your best guys to match up then it doesn't matter. Henne is a guy that can give the Chiefs a good quarter. If he is the starter for the Bills then the Bills will win by 20.
Very well said. Huge Stefanski fan and he'll be here a long time, I think. Wasn't his finest performance, though, in challenges and using TOs (or both in some cases). Were few if any games this season where he left me scratching my head with complete bonehead decisions like those or overall clock management. Will say the Hill challenge could have been someone telling him to do it (as is usually the case with challenges). But if he did it off what he saw then that's on him. Other wasted TO I'd rather lose the 5 yards than waste toe TO. Did seem a little more disorganized on plays which was rarely a problem this you(constant issue last season with worst coach ever).

All that said it was his first year as a coach in a completely disjointed season going against a guy doing this 20+ years (who has more talent to work with). and Reid will get hailed as a genius, but were times he tried to be Reid of old and made some questionable decisions IMO....they just worked out (doubt he saw a near first down run for Henne, for instance). Also thought might have mixed in some running plays to not allow Browns to even get ball at all end of first half...but Higgins and a silly rule saved him there.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't the the NFL once again fucking up (that play should have been reviewable) ruin what was a damn good season for the Browns.

View attachment 262654
This isn't the play that ruined the Browns season. It was the last play of the game. This play was called correctly based on the rule book. Can't say that it wasn't controversial OR that the rule shouldn't be changed, but that's a totally different conversation.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally didn't see the ball ever break the goalline but I don't think I've seen all of the angles. I thought I did though but could be wrong.
He may have been referring to the helmet to helmet the ref missed as the ball clearly went through the EZ. Not reviewable. And to be fair, when you are watching the WR, his feet, OOB, the ball, the pylon it's hard to also see how Sorenson hit him.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep like most pointed out, speed was the ultimate difference in this game. Mahomes is great and made great reads but I only saw maybe one throw that was contested, most were wide open. It seemed like almost every throw Baker made was heavily contested and he needed to fit in a tight window and he did. He had 4 incompletions in the 1H all were dropped passes. Speed was the difference and KC obviously had a better defense and a fastee defense.

Main priorities
DE - If Vernon’s pricetag is too high, let him go. Get a speed rusher DE opposite of Garrett. They need DL help.

Do-it-all LB - we saw what Devin White waa to TB’s defense. The Browns just have a lot of average, slow LB’s. I think Phillips is their fastest LB and he is a rookie.

DB - I don’t trust Greedy. Maybe bring back Mitchell for 3CB but they need another CB with ball skils and speed.

WR - Still think they need another weapon. It isn’t a top priority but always great to have a deep WR depth chart. OBJ could be back but we don’t know when and if he will be the same or he might be traded. I like Landry, DPJ and Higgins but they need more speed..guys that can get open.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that a call that can be made under review? The helmet to helmet hit. I agree that call is rarely made in real time but when they reviewed it for the turnover, it was blatantly obvious
Yep...frustrating, dumb rule and sucked at the time. But right call.

Not sour grapes over rule as always thought it was absurd....awarding the D for a fumble they never recovered?