• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Charles Barkley asks Dwight Howard, 'Why do you think people don't like you?'

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can still contribute, and who knows? Maybe be the 3rd option on a contending team. I just don't think we'll see the D12 of the Magic return.

For sure, which is why I said putting his ego aside would be a major issue for him.

Realizing he's not THE guy on the team, but still remaining a focal point is going to be his biggest hurdle.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I got my 03 Altima when I got back from Iraq in June of 2006. Being a mechanic in the Marine Corps, I was actually able to do most of the small maintenance shit (fluid changes mainly) on my car regularly. Thing that sucks is, my car's undoing was me waiting on an O3 sensor that takes 5 minutes to install. This eventually knocked out my catalytic converter as well as something else that I never figured out. Long story short, my car made it to 198,000 miles. The one thing I hate about earlier Nissan models is that they never figured out the timing chain issue (mine rattled for years and made me nervous as shit). But, as long as you kept up to date on your oil changes, you didn't have to worry about the timing chain snapping on you (which would fubar your engine).

Newer Nissans are crap, they've gone cheap. Passat's are actually nice as that was the next car I was considering.
hey wait a minute! I had the 02 Altima and never had any trouble with it. Got about 190k miles out of it until it got wrecked (totaled in an accident) years ago. I now have a '13 Nissan maxima and an Infiniti- neither have given me any problems. I guess I've been pretty lucky.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith had an intervention with Dwight Howard

"but if you get to know me, I'm laid back. I love to have fun."

What Howard doesn't understand is that people realize hes exactly that person. A goofball that likes to have fun. You are an athlete paid millions to go out there and give it your all. Fans use any expendable income they have to buy expensive tickets to see the best athletes compete. When you go out there and lollygag and laugh and never look like you're taking it seriously, you're disrespecting the fans. This is why Kobe didn't respect you, this is why nobody on the Rockets respects you, and why you haven't been a focal point of an offense since your Magic days, where 3pt shooting was more the focal point than Dwight anyway.

^^^THIS^^^

Every word of it. Shaq was also a goofball who liked to have fun. But he realized that winning championships is the most fun you can have as a player.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different sport and different ethnic group involved, but this reminds me of the Mets' clubhouse about a decade ago. Some of the white, US-born players were upset that some of the Latino, foreign-born players did not seem to hate losing so much. They eventually had a talk about it, and the response from the Latin players was basically this: "we came from absolutely NOTHING; to be playing a game for millions of dollars, being on TV every night, being celebrities - we've already won by just being here...sure we want to win a title, but it's a long season and there are more games to be played after a loss."

I know Howard's upbringing wasn't quite so desperate as your average Latin-American baseball player's, but maybe just getting to the league was enough for him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different sport and different ethnic group involved, but this reminds me of the Mets' clubhouse about a decade ago. Some of the white, US-born players were upset that some of the Latino, foreign-born players did not seem to hate losing so much. They eventually had a talk about it, and the response from the Latin players was basically this: "we came from absolutely NOTHING; to be playing a game for millions of dollars, being on TV every night, being celebrities - we've already won by just being here...sure we want to win a title, but it's a long season and there are more games to be played after a loss."

I know Howard's upbringing wasn't quite so desperate as your average Latin-American baseball player's, but maybe just getting to the league was enough for him.

That's entirely possible. The problem though, is that Dwight also thinks he knows how to lead a team to a title. You can't be the guy who leads a team to a title if just getting to the league is enough for you. Doesn't mean a team he is on can't win a title. It just means they can't win one with him as the leader.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's entirely possible. The problem though, is that Dwight also thinks he knows how to lead a team to a title. You can't be the guy who leads a team to a title if just getting to the league is enough for you. Doesn't mean a team he is on can't win a title. It just means they can't win one with him as the leader.

Good distinction.

It was probably good enough in high school, that he could win games nearly by himself with less than 100% effort, and he apparently hasn't adjusted his thinking.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith had an intervention with Dwight Howard

"but if you get to know me, I'm laid back. I love to have fun."

What Howard doesn't understand is that people realize hes exactly that person. A goofball that likes to have fun. You are an athlete paid millions to go out there and give it your all. Fans use any expendable income they have to buy expensive tickets to see the best athletes compete. When you go out there and lollygag and laugh and never look like you're taking it seriously, you're disrespecting the fans. This is why Kobe didn't respect you, this is why nobody on the Rockets respects you, and why you haven't been a focal point of an offense since your Magic days, where 3pt shooting was more the focal point than Dwight anyway.

I don't think Dwight Howard is a goof ball and there is nothing wrong with having enjoying your job when working. Basketball is his job and talking to people, bonding with them and laughing are all important pieces of the puzzles. It's important to have an atmosphere that's good for the team. Surely every one knows that some people they meet simply won't like them, you or whoever. It happens and it doesn't matter. If some one clearly does not like me, then a go my way and I leave them alone and terminate all contact with them

That being said, I think Howard's problem is that he doesn't give that extra 20% or the final 10% effort left in his body and mind - That is needed to win a championship. Somehow it's just not him enough to care enough to make that effort and that is what people recognize and why they take a real hatred of him guy

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Rocks keep him. I read the Mavs will go at him.