• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why do people resist change/improvement in understanding baseball...

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I can not get through to Omar....but has anyone come up with a system that incorporates the change in equipment players have used over the years, when evaluating numbers of any kind?

I am old enough to remember playing with gloves that had no real pocket like they have today. One hand catches were something special, not common like today. How a 1920 shortstop could stop a ground ball was more "hockey goalie" than glove work. Catchers mitts....they looked like a pillow on your parents' couch, not a padded first baseman's glove. How can stats from the 20's and 30's and even the 40's and 50's be compared? Seems a true apple and oranges thing to me. I know the manufacture of bats have changed.....how has that affected hitting....and of course the "soft ball era". I do suppose that modern stats are good for comparing things over the last 25 some years, but I would thing some form of ''reworking the math" would be needed going back into the 70's.

@Omar 382 .....do you know anything about the physical part of the game? Gloves, bats, balls, uniforms, running the bases. Or how infields were tended too before the last few decades? Astroturf? How about the total disdain for the stolen bases in the 50s....or the changes in the height of the pitching mound? Is their a theorem or algorithm for all that stuff? What about bulky wool uniforms? Is there a stat that reflects wearing those?

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I can not get through to Omar....but has anyone come up with a system that incorporates the change in equipment players have used over the years, when evaluating numbers of any kind?

I am old enough to remember playing with gloves that had no real pocket like they have today. One hand catches were something special, not common like today. How a 1920 shortstop could stop a ground ball was more "hockey goalie" than glove work. Catchers mitts....they looked like a pillow on your parents' couch, not a padded first baseman's glove. How can stats from the 20's and 30's and even the 40's and 50's be compared? Seems a true apple and oranges thing to me. I know the manufacture of bats have changed.....how has that affected hitting....and of course the "soft ball era". I do suppose that modern stats are good for comparing things over the last 25 some years, but I would thing some form of ''reworking the math" would be needed going back into the 70's.

@Omar 382 .....do you know anything about the physical part of the game? Gloves, bats, balls, uniforms, running the bases. Or how infields were tended too before the last few decades? Astroturf? How about the total disdain for the stolen bases in the 50s....or the changes in the height of the pitching mound? Is their a theorem or algorithm for all that stuff? What about bulky wool uniforms? Is there a stat that reflects wearing those?
I've always found the best way to look at any player is comparing how much better or worse they were than their peers. After all, being better than your peers is how you win games right?You can do that with both traditional and advanced statistics.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before that GIF started Giffing, I thought he was gonna take his pants off.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where DaFuq is Omar?

He's got a two minute window to convince me I can enjoy baseball more because of his magic.

Then I have to get back to baseball.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iffy, remember when we went thru this? Only it was fantasy baseball I was pushing?

Those were the days...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the window has closed.

I'll try to manage with my inferior ways. Somehow. Someway.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iffy, remember when we went thru this? Only it was fantasy baseball I was pushing?

Those were the days...

I've learned to live with fantasy baseball. Not my cup of tea, but I can see "some" value in it - it is a tool to grab fan interest, afterall. Yet, I still think it has drawbacks as far as the team concept of baseball. Many enjoy it, so I don't bother them. Sort of like that small dry patch that has been on my ass for 30 some years. It doesn't bother me, it probably won't go away, so why pick at it????

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've learned to live with fantasy baseball. Not my cup of tea, but I can see "some" value in it - it is a tool to grab fan interest, afterall. Yet, I still think it has drawbacks as far as the team concept of baseball. Many enjoy it, so I don't bother them. Sort of like that small dry patch that has been on my ass for 30 some years. It doesn't bother me, it probably won't go away, so why pick at it????
It's really started to die for me. Considered retirement this winter.

I think the FanDualDraftKing craze did it. I don't want a new team ery day or super models in my underwear. I just like extra incentive to follow teams I don't care about.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the FanDualDraftKing craze did it. I don't want a new team ery day or super models in my underwear. I just like extra incentive to follow teams I don't care about.

Fantasy Baseball popularity has taken a nose dive in the past few years.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm in three leagues and it's amazing the amount of player knowledge you pick up playing fantasy baseball, particularly in deep leagues -- I'm in one league with eighteen fucking teams.

That said, it's kind of fading for me to. All three drafts felt like chores to me this year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in three leagues and it's amazing the amount of player knowledge you pick up playing fantasy baseball, particularly in deep leagues -- I'm in one league with eighteen fucking teams.

That said, it's kind of fading for me to. All three drafts felt like chores to me this year.
AL only roto.

You really gotta scrape the barrel. It's brutal, yet thrilling.

I remember the glory days of high numbered participants. Newspaper box scores, three ring binders of numbers upon numbers. Notebooks full of add/drops and trade proposals. Ahhhh, the 80's, growing up with a father who gambled.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?

I wonder why. Probably that draft kings shit? Meh. I really don't give a fuck as long as CBS doesn't raise the league rates.
You still play on CBS!?!

Holy shit man.

Go to Fantrax, better e'rything and free. (I get it if the league is long running. My money football league is still there. Has been since 99 and was longhand for 15 years before that.)

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still play on CBS!?!

Holy shit man.

Go to Fantrax, better e'rything and free. (I get it if the league is long running. My money football league is still there. Has been since 99 and was longhand for 15 years before that.)

My leagues are that long running, but they've been around for over ten years each.

Can you customize scoring with Fantrax?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My leagues are that long running, but they've been around for over ten years each.

Can you customize scoring with Fantrax?
It has more free options than I even know what to do with.

Only twice can I think of times when we would have had to go the pay route in order to add a stat. And that was QB pressures, I think.

Both football dynasties I'm in are on there(LionsBoard, with obx and MBBRL, also with obx.). And two of my baseball leagues.

I really enjoy the site.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with the OPer...I have Baseball Abstracts going back to 1982!!