• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chargers fire Greg Manusky

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Chargers fire defensive coordinator Greg Manusky

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 5, 2012, 12:58 PM EST

The Chargers aren’t making the coaching changes that their fans wanted, but someone on Norv Turner’s staff will pay for the team’s second straight season out of the playoffs.

Defensive coordinator Greg Manusky has been fired, according to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Manusky, who came from San Francisco with an excellent reputation, oversaw San Diego’s defensive decline in 2011. The team fell from tenth in points allowed to 22nd and first in yards allowed to 16th.

It was a soft defense that struggled against physical competition. But the blame for that should go to Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith, who has missed a lot more than he’s hit in drafts over the last few years.

Chargers owner Dean Spanos talked about patience with Norv Turner, but Manusky won’t get the same consideration.

Manusky replaced Ron Rivera, who left last offseason for the Panthers head coaching job. Turner will have to hire his fourth defensive coordinator in six years with the Chargers.

Chargers fire defensive coordinator Greg Manusky | ProFootballTalk

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Would Manusky have had this defense performing at the same level Fangio is? I'm not so sure. I wasn't a big Manusky guy when he was here, and I'm still not.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He almost had the same core with the exception of Aldon, Rogers and Cully.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Takeo spikes is bad luck lol jk

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The only reason Norv's ass was saved was because of his good relationship and support from Philip Rivers. They didn't want to break up that HC - QB tandem.

Manusky on the other hand, was the expendable fall guy. The Chargers defense does not have alot of talent. I read somewhere that the only players on that defense that offensive co-ordinators gameplan for are Shawn Phillips, Jammer and Weddle.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manusky was 1 of nolan's guy's......i was glad when we fired him

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Takeo spikes is bad luck lol jk

lol true, he was hoping chargers would get him into the playoffs, instead we make it. Poor guy, I love Spikes, I hope he gets one before he retires.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah poor Spikes.... i mean Lawson and Nate(& TAYLOR MAYS) got in with the bengals lol....

Baas too with NYG.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He almost had the same core with the exception of Aldon, Rogers and Cully.

Fangio still would've had the defense running better but in Manusky defense having those guys would've been huge for him.

Aldon brought an actual guy that could rush the passer, Rogers is far and away an upgrade to the CB position compared to Clements, and Cully added some really nice depth.

Not to mention the emergence of Bowman has been a boon for the team as well.

I never considered Manusky brilliant by any means but I do think he has gotten a lot of undeserved blame considering the talent he's had to work with.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I thought that his defenses were FAR too soft, both in coverage and in pass rush. How many times were we rushing three down linemen and dropping back? How many times did we see the CBs 10 yards back, giving FAR too much cushion? These are things we don't see too often out of Fangio that we saw all too consistently with Manusky.

Sure Aldon, Bowman, and Rogers were nice additions but our defensive scheme looks to be a lot more aggressive in its ballhawking with the secondary along with its pass rush in the front 7.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norvell should be gone too. How many chances does this guy get? Great offensive coordinator, but a sub-par NFL coach IMO.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I thought that his defenses were FAR too soft, both in coverage and in pass rush. How many times were we rushing three down linemen and dropping back? How many times did we see the CBs 10 yards back, giving FAR too much cushion? These are things we don't see too often out of Fangio that we saw all too consistently with Manusky.

Sure Aldon, Bowman, and Rogers were nice additions but our defensive scheme looks to be a lot more aggressive in its ballhawking with the secondary along with its pass rush in the front 7.

couldnt agree more with this! Everyone called the defense Vanilla under manusky! you cant play a bend but dont break style of defense when the offense isnt high powered putting up big numbers on the score board. Even though Sing was clueless on making half time adjustments, he was part of that equation

Last edited by a moderator:

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It surprised me that Singletary didn't push Manusky to blitz more and press receivers especially with how crazy he was coming down on QBs. That defensive style didn't jive with Singletary.

We didn't have the corners to blitz aggressively though. And we couldn't get a rush so the defense was just stuck. Our defense actually doesn't blitz all that much this year, but the key difference is it gets to the QB with 4. That allows the corners to play more aggressive.

The difference in coverage has been night and day though even when QB's have time this year. Our corners are doing a much better job.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fangio gets a HC gig somewhere, i wonder if we would consider bringing him back. I'm not a fan of it, but it is a possibility if that happens.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I put the losses to Atlanta and New Orleans last year directly on Manusky's 'soft' D schemes. Even after Clement's INT then fumble, the 9ers could've stopped their drive with a more aggressive D. Instead, we pulled out a 'prevent' defense that only prevented us from winning.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fangio gets a HC gig somewhere, i wonder if we would consider bringing him back. I'm not a fan of it, but it is a possibility if that happens.

I think the 49ers would be better off promoting from within. Ed Donatell was a DC for 7 years. Harbaugh said he was the guy responsible for the thrashing the 49ers gave Tampa Bay. Both of the Packers defense and Falcons defense dropped significantly in ranking the year after he was fired or left the team.

Hopefully, nobody wants Fangio though. At least until the 49ers win a Super Bowl with this staff.