• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chance Warmack at C

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was. Jones is a really good C prospect...

As far as who would make the best C between Boone, Iupati & Warmack, I've gotta say Warmack.

Really? Doesn't a C require a little more athleticism? I feel like Iupati might make the easiest transition, but I also think he would be missed more at the G position.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Really? Doesn't a C require a little more athleticism? I feel like Iupati might make the easiest transition, but I also think he would be missed more at the G position.

Warmack is an Iupati kind of prospect at guard. Either one would dominate-inate at guard. I don't know that C takes more athleticism. Warmack is listed at 6'3 320, and Iupati is listed at 6'5 331. I think Warmack's size is better for C than Iupati's.

Boone at C would be weird. I've never seen a 6'8 C before (at least can't remember one).

Either way, having Staley, Iupati, Warmack, Boone & Davis on the field at the same time simply wouldn't be fair for people trying to stop the run or get to the QB. And add the fact that Kaep is probably the 2nd fastest tarting QB in the NFL right now, I don't know how teams would defend against it.

I think Warmack is the guy who's most ready right away in the entire draft. Would a guy like Hankins or John Jenkkins be great at NT right away if Sopoaga takes off? Probably not. In fact, that would probably be a downgrade in teh beginning. NT isn't a position players come in and immediately dominate (like CB). A great starting TE would certainly help more than a #2 TE like Eifert. Would a starting C make a bigger difference than a starting safety? I think so. And there are more 2nd & 3rd round safeties to be had than upgrades at C IMO. The difference between the first round safeties & the 2nd & 3rd round ones isn't huge IMO. But the difference between Warmack & Jones or Warmack & the guy from USC (Holmes?) is pretty big IMO.

Gotta stay dominant in the trenches! Or get even more dominant! If there were a chance (no pun intended) to get a Wilfork / Suh / Ngata / Watt like prospect on the DL you take it over a guy like Warmack. Will Richardson or Hankins or John Jenkins or Short be those kinds of guys? I don't know. My money says Warmack is more valuable. Star? He's gone in the top 3. And I've always thought he was a little bit overrated anyway. Warmack might be there at 10-15.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the chance of this happening is...slim?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
the chance of this happening is...slim?

Probably. But this isn't the what's realistic thread. :)

The Chance (pun intended) of trading up in the draft isn't that unlikely though. The Niners already have the highest talent level in the NFL, and they're probably only going to have a couple of holes on the starting roster in the offseason. No more than 3 or 4 IMO, and probably more like 2.

Oh, and another reason the Niners need to get Warmack: so I can use the "Chance" pun ad nauseum. :)

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably. But this isn't the what's realistic thread. :)

The Chance (pun intended) of trading up in the draft isn't that unlikely though. The Niners already have the highest talent level in the NFL, and they're probably only going to have a couple of holes on the starting roster in the offseason. No more than 3 or 4 IMO, and probably more like 2.

Oh, and another reason the Niners need to get Warmack: so I can use the "Chance" pun ad nauseum. :)

So in a completely hypothetical sense, what do you think it would take to trade high enough to get him?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So in a completely hypothetical sense, what do you think it would take to trade high enough to get him?

Well, I could use the trade valule chart. However, I think a lot more teams are gonna want to trade down than up this year. So I think it's a good year to trade up (although most of the best value -bang for yer buck- is going to be between picks 50 & 90 IMO).

So I think a 2nd, a 2nd in 2014, a 5th & maybe a 6th or 7th from 2014 would do it. That's:

1. 1st
2. 2nd
3. 2nd in 2014
4. 5th
5. Maybe a 6th in 2014

for

Around the 12th pick or so.

That's my best guess. And he may be there a few picks later. Either way, the Niners CANNOT let the Rams take him at 16. If he's there at 15, they need to screw the Rams & move up.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we did by some miracle get Warmack, do you think it would be easier to convert him to center, or Mike Iupati, or Alex Boone

Boone is way too tall for Center, I think that guy is listed at 6'8". I think those guys are usually around the 6'1"-6'3" range.

The team needs to keep Iupati and Boone at guards so that they keep mauling people in the running game anyway. I'm intrigued with Kilgore at Center, he showed some potential in the small sample size I've seen of him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Boone is way too tall for Center, I think that guy is listed at 6'8". I think those guys are usually around the 6'1"-6'3" range.

The team needs to keep Iupati and Boone at guards so that they keep mauling people in the running game anyway. I'm intrigued with Kilgore at Center, he showed some potential in the small sample size I've seen of him.

If the Niners can't get Chance, I'd probably want Kilgore & Looney to battle it out for the C spot. As much as I think Barrett Jones is a very good C prospect, it's not worth the 1st round pick to make that kind of upgrade.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I could use the trade valule chart. However, I think a lot more teams are gonna want to trade down than up this year. So I think it's a good year to trade up (although most of the best value -bang for yer buck- is going to be between picks 50 & 90 IMO).

So I think a 2nd, a 2nd in 2014, a 5th & maybe a 6th or 7th from 2014 would do it. That's:

1. 1st
2. 2nd
3. 2nd in 2014
4. 5th
5. Maybe a 6th in 2014

for

Around the 12th pick or so.

That's my best guess. And he may be there a few picks later. Either way, the Niners CANNOT let the Rams take him at 16. If he's there at 15, they need to screw the Rams & move up.

Sick, not going to lie but that's alot to give up. I would hope C is far behind your mind around that selection.

I would want Moore if we made a move like that.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Niners can't get Chance, I'd probably want Kilgore & Looney to battle it out for the C spot. As much as I think Barrett Jones is a very good C prospect, it's not worth the 1st round pick to make that kind of upgrade.

I definitely share your concern at center. Goodwin is very good at the leadership part, seems pretty good at calling blocking schemes, but man he scares the hell out of me with those erratic shotgun snaps... especially with the 49ers moving forward with the pistol package.

Goodwin almost screwed the team against the Packers when he snapped it early. I'm pretty sure the 49ers got a TD on that drive, and Goodwin almost turned it into a turnover for the Packers.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sick, not going to lie but that's alot to give up. I would hope C is far behind your mind around that selection.

I would want Moore if we made a move like that.

Moore is unreachable IMO. Same with Star. They're both 4th & 5th overall picks overall at the latest IMO. Maybe higher. And I actually think Warmack would make a bigger contribution as a rookie than those guys would. Probably a lot bigger. The Niners need to strike while the iron's hot.

Around 10-15, we're looking at guys like Chance, Hankins, Richardson, Milliner... maybe Mingo, but that may be reaching.

I'd include Dion Jordan, but I can't get a good gauge on that guy.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Center just requires more smarts but on the physical side they are just a guard that snaps the ball. Hand size is also a factor since it's neigh impossible to snap an NFL football with small hands.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
As far as Center goes my thoughts is now that the Boone and Iupati have the Guard spots locked up for the foreseeable future we'll be looking to put Looney in that spot.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me too; especially with the way he destroys LBs and DBs when he pulls and has a head of steam. I'd leave Iupati where he is.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were Baalke and he really wanted to address the C position, I'd go for Jones as opposed to Warmack, and this is coming from someone whose other college team he roots for is Bama.

Yes, Warmack is the better athlete, but a couple of things to consider:
- Warmack is all likelihood will be drafted ahead of Jones.
- Jones has played in 3 OL positions during his tenure. He is the more versatile OL and granted (knock on wood), guys such as Iupati, Ant Davis, and Staley have been pretty healthy throughout their career. However, Jones could fill into those other positions if need be. Also, he has gone up against some of the better defenses this year (ND's DLine is pretty good, of course there was LSU, etc), and has complemented McCarron's on the field playcalling and audible utilization.

Looney has been a four year starter as an OG for Wake Forest, and before that was an OT in high school, and a good one at that, so I don't know if placing him as a C will automatically pay dividends for the Niners. Drafting a guy like Jones would give the Niners some serious flexibility, although will he slip out of the first? I may consider drafting a quality DT for this team before taking an OL.

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones is better, only player ever in college to win national championships in three different positions on offensive line.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones is better, only player ever in college to win national championships in three different positions on offensive line.

I would say he has better value because of what you just mentioned - and if the Niners are seriously considering taking an OL, I'd take him over Warmack.

Btw man, Roll Tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jikkle; said:
Hand size is also a factor since it's neigh impossible to snap an NFL football with small hands.

You just crushed Alex's back-up plan. Hope you're happy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

just making sure......what three positions specifically? mahalo