• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chance Warmack at C

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This is a little tangent from the draft thread...

I'm starting to think that trading up for Chance Warmack, solely based on the fact that he's other-worldly talented, would be a great move. He might even be #1 overall on my big board. However, the problem is that the Niners are already set at guard.

However, they depserately need a C. I've seen rookies who played guard in college do great at C in the NFL and vice versa. Andre Gurode & LeCharles Bentley come to mind. Jeremy Newberry was a tackle in college. A lot of O-linemen in the NFL are able to play multiple positions...

Anyway, what would you think about moving up for Chance Warmack & possibly adding the final piece to maybe the most dominant O-line the NFL has seen since the Cowboys in the '90's? Would you have enough confidence in his ability to pick up the position by the time week 1 started? Or maybe start a guy like Kilgore at C as a stop-gap until he's ready?

This scenario would immediately make the weakest starting position on the team potentially an all-pro'. Any thoughts?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
but we'll be picking late in the round, isn't this where most good OG/C get drafted? do we need to trade up if the target is a Center?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
but we'll be picking late in the round, isn't this where most good OG/C get drafted? do we need to trade up if the target is a Center?

Not really. Barrett Jones might be there at the end of the 1st, and Jones is a great C prospect. But Chance Warmack is the kind of guy I think will remind people of Larry allen in terms of dominance.

Last year, I thought David Decastro was the best guard prospect in a LONG time. Great in both aspects of the game. Warmack, to me, is like Decastro only stronger and just as quick. I think Warmack will remind people of Larry Allen in terms of dominance. And Allen is the most dominant O-lineman to ever play IMO.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a little tangent from the draft thread...

I'm starting to think that trading up for Chance Warmack, solely based on the fact that he's other-worldly talented, would be a great move. He might even be #1 overall on my big board. However, the problem is that the Niners are already set at guard.

However, they depserately need a C. I've seen rookies who played guard in college do great at C in the NFL and vice versa. Andre Gurode & LeCharles Bentley come to mind. Jeremy Newberry was a tackle in college. A lot of O-linemen in the NFL are able to play multiple positions...

Anyway, what would you think about moving up for Chance Warmack & possibly adding the final piece to maybe the most dominant O-line the NFL has seen since the Cowboys in the '90's? Would you have enough confidence in his ability to pick up the position by the time week 1 started? Or maybe start a guy like Kilgore at C as a stop-gap until he's ready?

This scenario would immediately make the weakest starting position on the team potentially an all-pro'. Any thoughts?

How 'bout that cat who plays Center for Alabama? I guess he'll already be gone?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
How 'bout that cat who plays Center for Alabama? I guess he'll already be gone?

No, Barrett Jones will go well after Warmack. He's a better prospect than Peter Konz was last year, but he's not a Nick Mangold type of talent.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Barrett Jones will go well after Warmack. He's a better prospect than Peter Konz was last year, but he's not a Nick Mangold type of talent.

Who does Warmack play for? I don't watch much college football outside of the PAC 12. I thought Jones was the #1 College prospect at Center?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Who does Warmack play for? I don't watch much college football outside of the PAC 12. I thought Jones was the #1 College prospect at Center?

'Bama. Warmack's a guard, but I'm proposing maybe letting him kill some DTs at C. There's no comparision between Jones & Warmack in terms of being able to push a guy off the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Bama. Warmack's a guard, but I'm proposing maybe letting him kill some DTs at C. There's no comparision between Jones & Warmack in terms of being able to push a guy off the ball.

Well, he certainly had no problem moving Notre Dame D Linemen.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It takes a lot to be C, like snapping the ball with ease and control no?

I mean it's not like anyone can do it, we need someone who can show that control right?

but I would luv to get Warmack or even Jones.....

but DL MAY still be a need for me

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The major questions would be:

Would he be as good as he is right now playing Center?

Is there that much of a drop off from other Centers to warrant the draft picks to move up and get him?

This doesn't even include the discussions about other areas of the team that need upgrading and potential players available.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean it's not like anyone can do it, we need someone who can show that control right?

I believe you also have to call out the blocking assignments and I think that would mean that you have to not only know your role as a lineman in every situation but those of your line mates as well. That can't be easy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yep, shot gun snaps too. then there are line calls.................

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you also have to call out the blocking assignments and I think that would mean that you have to not only know your role as a lineman in every situation but those of your line mates as well. That can't be easy.

yep, shot gun snaps too. then there are line calls.................

I wanted to say that too, but i was just sticking with the basics... the playcalling is intermediate.

I guess what I was implying all of the duties of Center, for Warmack to convert, can he start off by doing the "simple" thing for a C by snapping the ball accurately and routinely?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this in the draft thread.

Originally Posted by NinerSickness
So the more I think about it, the more I think the biggest improvement the Niners can make in the draft this offseason is trading up for Chance Warmack & letting him play C. Goodwin is probably the weakest starter on the team, and Warmack is a beast. That would be an absolutely legendary OL. And in case the Niners can't re-sign Anthony Davis, Boone could possibly kick out to RT & Warmack could play RG.

I'm not married to the idea yet, but he might be #1 overall on my 49ers big board at this point. If he's there at... say... 12-14, the Niners should try to move up & take him.

Can Warmack snap to a qb in the pistol or shotgun? Has Warmack ever played center at any level? Can Warmack be a leader of the trenches like a center is supposed to be? Does he call out assignments and things like centers do?

Otherwise, I think Barrett Jones might be a better choice if we were going that route.

I went and found this quote.

"Warmack can play guard or center and he can play them in the big leagues right now"

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...-warmack.html/

Last edited by EKmane; Yesterday at 07:04 PM.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we did by some miracle get Warmack, do you think it would be easier to convert him to center, or Mike Iupati, or Alex Boone

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think there is a desperate need at C, honestly I don't see the need at all. We have a solid C right now and a guy that we're grooming for the position. I certainly wouldn't draft one in the 1st.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think there is a desperate need at C, honestly I don't see the need at all. We have a solid C right now and a guy that we're grooming for the position. I certainly wouldn't draft one in the 1st.

Who is that? Kilgore?