• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFP Committe SOS problem

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Committee says one of the biggest factors into their voting of the playoffs is a teams SOS. Most focused on their NON Conf. SOS.

I think that is great, as some teams schedule cupcakes year in and year out. Hell, even some teams haven't ever traveled West of the Mississippi River.

BUT...

Some teams that schedule other BCS conference teams schedule them so far out in advance that it is a hit or miss if that team will even be any good when they meet.

What are they going to do about that?

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Committee says one of the biggest factors into their voting of the playoffs is a teams SOS. Most focused on their NON Conf. SOS.

I think that is great, as some teams schedule cupcakes year in and year out. Hell, even some teams haven't ever traveled West of the Mississippi River.

BUT...

Some teams that schedule other BCS conference teams schedule them so far out in advance that it is a hit or miss if that team will even be any good when they meet.

It isn't real difficult to identify reams that are trying to schedule challenging OOC games and those that are just trying to make sure they are bowl eligible.

Regardless, you are going to have to compare teams, and be it luck of the draw, you should reward the team with the tougher overall schedule if all other variables look to be rather even (losses, quality wins, quality play, etc.).

Never fear, no matter what is decided and regardless of how logical the selections may be, people are going to bitch, moan, and complain. That is the one constant that will be guaranteed in this whole process.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BUT...

If they are not a good team (on the year that they actually play) then that will be obvious come selection time, no?

Sure, it will be no fault of their own, but it is what it is.

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never fear, no matter what is decided and regardless of how logical the selections may be, people are going to bitch, moan, and complain. That is the one constant that will be guaranteed in this whole process.

This...could have a 16 or 32 team playoff and those left out are going to bitch and moan.

But it is what we have now, so let's just live with it until they change it. :)

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are not going to do anything about that. They are simply going to pick the 4 teams they like the best, and stick with teams which either ran the table or had one loss. It's a problem with college football, and what happens when a team pulls out at the last minute, forcing the other team to find a replacement at the last minute?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are not going to do anything about that. They are simply going to pick the 4 teams they like the best, and stick with teams which either ran the table or had one loss. It's a problem with college football, and what happens when a team pulls out at the last minute, forcing the other team to find a replacement at the last minute?

It's not about 1 stat or the other. It's about a combination of factors.

People complain about the rankings and think it's all about playing favorites, but it's bullshit without any real merit. Please highlight the years where it was so bad - AND that the current method of taking the top4 of those teams would not have fixed it.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been 2 teams selected for the last 16 years.

Now its going to be 4 teams.

Sounds good. We'll get there, some day.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're going to pick the teams with the boosters that give them the most enticing bribes

So they're gonna go the FIFA / IOC system. Expect CFB playoff games to also be played in Russia or a Middle East country sitting under a lake of oil soon. Whoever bribes the playoff committee the most.

Last edited by a moderator:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BCS tried to claim SOS mattered. Everyone could see they were full of crap. The only thing that mattered to most BCS bowls come selection was how many fans of those teams would show up and spend like drunken sailors in cities like N.O.

I won't hold my breath the playoff committee will either.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BCS tried to claim SOS mattered. Everyone could see they were full of crap. The only thing that mattered to most BCS bowls come selection was how many fans of those teams would show up and spend like drunken sailors in cities like N.O.

SoS did matter, see TCU and Boise St.

And since the BCS was based on a formula that was out of it's control, I don't see how you can say the BCS did any selecting.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BUT...

What are they going to do about that?[
Nothing. The point is to grade how a team does against the schedule they have. Period. You don't give some artificial credit due to unforeseen ease due to a normally good team having a down year when you face them.

If your schedule is weak you may struggle getting in vs teams with the same record and a better schedule.

And that's how it should be.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are over thinking this new system.

How often has a team gone undefeated and not been in the top 4?

Take care of the schedule you have and leave no doubt.

If you are down to SoS in a close battle for 4th, you didn't take care of business. This is, and always has been, how college football championships works.

/end story.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SOS only matters if you're a member of non-AQ school. After that, I think they simple go by wins and losses. See Stanford being ranked outside the top 4 in 2013 and 2012. See Oregon being ranked above Stanford in 2011. See Oklahoma State being ranked 3rd, not 2nd in 2011. See Oklahoma being ranked 9th rather than 4th in 2010.

If we're going to have 4 teams, you pretty much have to lean heavily toward CCs only. Every conference plays a different quality of schedule, and you do not know ahead of time, how good or how bad your schedule is, it all depends on what happens.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are over thinking this new system.

How often has a team gone undefeated and not been in the top 4?

Take care of the schedule you have and leave no doubt.

If you are down to SoS in a close battle for 4th, you didn't take care of business. This is, and always has been, how college football championships works.

/end story.

Going undefeated, can be a little deceptive. It all depends on the strength of your journey and the type of out of conference opponents you pick. Florida State last season had the easiest schedule of 11 to 13 win crowds (nixing UCF, Louisville, NIU, and Fresno State). According to Colley Matrix, they produced an SOS of .499. Missouri and South Carolina on the other hand, produced an SOS of .595 and .605. But if you're a team like 2013 Auburn, 2012 Notre Dame, 2011 LSU, 2010 Auburn, and 2009's Alabama and Texas, and you go undefeated, then you really deserve a pat on the back.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your point about the BCS actually has two parts.

The BCS NCG selections were driven by polls. Some of which took SOS into account.

However BCS games that were not hosting the NCG were filled with teams taken from the eligibility pool. The host bowl committees were bartering with other host cities for teams that (as you point out) they thought would travel best.

I would expect the later to continue for bowls not part of the 4 team play-off.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BUT...

The best thing to do is penalize teams that schedule FCS schools.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the down AQ or non AQ teams, the committee could easily factor in what was the down team's record the year the contract for the game was signed. Schools could easily provide that information.

In 2020 Nebraska is playing Cincinnati in Lincoln. Contract signed in 2013. Cincinnati was 10-3 in 2012 and 10-3 in 2011. 2013 season had not started, 2013 Cincinnati finished 9-4.

How good is Cincinnati going to be in 2020? Who knows, but Nebraska signed a team that had three winning seasons in a row. You could include the down year 2010 and the up year of 2009 also. If I can easily look this up, imagine how much easier it is if the schools provide the information and the committee just data mines it. The Committee has already bragged about their use of technology.

I thought most if not all schools were eliminating FCS schools.

edit: conversely how good is Nebraska going to be?