• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Celtics '21'22 - The Jay's Team

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it was but I am not going to read much into this win until I see more from this team... They did say the players only meeting had no effect at all so until they "come together" and it shows on the court I am not buying much of anything right now
Absolutely... the C's got to prove they will put the effort in consistently... no doubt.

That being said: this is a solid 2 game response after the drama.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely... the C's got to prove they will put the effort in consistently... no doubt.

That being said: this is a solid 2 game response after the drama.

Yeah you are right but it could also just be a fluke where they "come together" to make people think they ate on the right track when they truly aren't actually coming together

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking over the stats, one of our problems this young season has been 3 pt shooting percentage:
  • Jayson Tatum - 27%
  • Marcus Smart - 28%
  • Al Horford - 30%
  • Dennis Schroder - 32.5%
  • Josh Richardson - 33%
^ Not gonna cut it, obviously.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will if they can continuously hold opponents under 80 points a game. hee hee heee
Heh, no doubt.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd take effort on defense over shooting percentages any day.

That being said: with this roster... we shouldn't have to choose. I don't see a good reason why we can't be a very strong defensive club AND an average to above average shooting team.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking over the stats, one of our problems this young season has been 3 pt shooting percentage:
  • Jayson Tatum - 27%
  • Marcus Smart - 28%
  • Al Horford - 30%
  • Dennis Schroder - 32.5%
  • Josh Richardson - 33%
^ Not gonna cut it, obviously.
Haven’t caught more than 2-3 quarters this season from the Cs but this could be some stats to add credence to Smart’s comments about the ball not moving. When the ball moves you get better looks and a better chance to shoot at a higher percentage. Or the other scenario would be a volume situation. I haven’t watched to see where they rank among 3 pt attempts. Smart and Tatum’s numbers should increase. It’s eye opening when JRich has the highest percentage of this crew. His number is likely to stay around 33%

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven’t caught more than 2-3 quarters this season from the Cs but this could be some stats to add credence to Smart’s comments about the ball not moving. When the ball moves you get better looks and a better chance to shoot at a higher percentage. Or the other scenario would be a volume situation. I haven’t watched to see where they rank among 3 pt attempts. Smart and Tatum’s numbers should increase. It’s eye opening when JRich has the highest percentage of this crew. His number is likely to stay around 33%
Yeah... on that list, Schroder and Richardson are about 33% 3 pt shooters... that's about what we can expect from them.

But Tatum (especially) in addition to Smart and Horford can all do better than that. Smart and Horford need to be around 35%, and Tatum should be around 40%.

It's worth mentioning that a couple of the younger, role players... Grant Williams and Romeo Langford... have put up good %'s so far in limited minutes. It's encouraging to get improvement out of these two.

Pritchard and Nesmith both have hypothetical value as shooters, also... but they haven't received many minutes so far.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... on that list, Schroder and Richardson are about 33% 3 pt shooters... that's about what we can expect from them.

But Tatum (especially) in addition to Smart and Horford can all do better than that. Smart and Horford need to be around 35%, and Tatum should be around 40%.

It's worth mentioning that a couple of the younger, role players... Grant Williams and Romeo Langford... have put up good %'s so far in limited minutes. It's encouraging to get improvement out of these two.

Pritchard and Nesmith both have hypothetical value as shooters, also... but they haven't received many minutes so far.
Al is a different Al than what you guys had the first go round. He is going to have great nights shooting the ball and then mix in some poor nights shooting the ball. He should be a good fulcrum though for that aspect of the Cs you’ve been begging for (and has had good returns the last few games)…defense. I love Horford and I’m bummed he didn’t work with the Sixers. I think he needs to play more minutes at the 5 for you guys than the 4. I see they start him with Williams. Who has been the 5 and who has been the 4 with that group?

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Al is a different Al than what you guys had the first go round. He is going to have great nights shooting the ball and then mix in some poor nights shooting the ball. He should be a good fulcrum though for that aspect of the Cs you’ve been begging for (and has had good returns the last few games)…defense. I love Horford and I’m bummed he didn’t work with the Sixers. I think he needs to play more minutes at the 5 for you guys than the 4. I see they start him with Williams. Who has been the 5 and who has been the 4 with that group?
Horford has been solid thus far in his return to the C's, despite his shooting % from 3. His passing and defense make up for it.

Robert Williams III is a 5 only, so Horford is more the 4 when they share the floor together. From what I've seen so far, they can be on the court together for stretches and be effective... it works better than the double big relationship between RWIII and Theis in the past.

Simply put: Horford is the better overall player than Theis... which, duh. ;)

Philly was just a bad fit for Big Al... an Embiid/Simmons/Horford trio simply doesn't work.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horford has been solid thus far in his return to the C's, despite his shooting % from 3. His passing and defense make up for it.

Robert Williams III is a 5 only, so Horford is more the 4 when they share the floor together. From what I've seen so far, they can be on the court together for stretches and be effective... it works better than the double big relationship between RWIII and Theis in the past.

Simply put: Horford is the better overall player than Theis... which, duh. ;)

Philly was just a bad fit for Big Al... an Embiid/Simmons/Horford trio simply doesn't work.
Ironically the Simmons/Horford pairing without Embiid was the best Simmons and the best Horford. Any chance you want to do Simmons for Brown?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing to the Cavs without sexton and markanen is a brutal loss

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing to the Cavs without sexton and markanen is a brutal loss
Well... Boston was without Brown and Horford... so...

Anywho, blowing the 18 pt lead is brutal in any event... good to see the gang get the win in the 2nd game vs the Cav's.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the first game, I couldn't believe how cold the C's shoot became. They had to have missed at least five shots in a row and no one was anywhere near the hoop for a rebound. Robert Williams is a huge presence for them and when he's out for a break, they don't seem to have anyone that can pick up the slack. Schroder has got to stop having 7 or 8 TO every game. Some of them are just plain stupid. All it takes is for a coach to tell him to get himself under control or Pritchard will have to get more minutes. Not a threat, it's a fact of NBA life. Every turnover is a four point swing. You lose two and the other guys make two. That's from 35 years of coaching AAU basketball to kids from 8 to 18.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking over our team stats, it's somewhat amazing that our record is even at .500 through 14 games.

As a team, the Celtics are shooting 43.9% from the field.

And from 3 pt land, Boston is shooting 32.7%.

Yikes. :ohwell:

Some of this is because one of our most efficient offensive players (Jaylen Brown) has missed a slew of games.

Excuse aside, though... these 2 guys gotta get their sh!t together:
  • Jayson Tatum - 38.6% from the field, 31.6% from 3 pt range
  • Marcus Smart - 35% from the field, 27.5% from 3 pt range
^ Double Yikes. :gaah:

On the plus side, the C's have plenty of room for improvement.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In our loss @ Atlanta last night, the C's shot 43.5% from the field and 26.2% from 3 pt range.

Continued miserable shooting percentages.

Again, we've got excuses... (2 starters who are 2 of our most efficient scorers were out)... but most teams in the NBA are dealing with guys being out.

Until the Celtics 'un-clunk-ify' (to make up a word on the spot) their offense, we're gonna continue to see these mediocre results.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Celtics are now over .500 for the first time this season at 9-8.

After starting the year 2-5, Boston is now 7-3 in their last 10.

The biggest part of the turn-around has been defense... after getting embarassed defensely at the very beginning of the season, the Celtics have settled in somewhat and shown some aptitude on that side of the court.

Offense is still a work-in-progress, with injuries and old habits weighing us down.

But on the whole, we're trending in the right direction and I've been encouraged by what I've seen.

Shout out to 'Husky' Grant Williams for his step forward this year... he has become a valuable cog, and I think a lot of us were starting to give up hope that he could become even that.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of our first big challenges last night vs the Nets... and the C's got trounced.

Shooting, again, is the main culprit. Boston were 11 for 48 (23%) from 3 pt range. Plenty of those attempts were open shots, the Celtics just can't bury them.

Beyond that, from an eyeball test perspective: the Nets just look like a better team. Brooklyn was consistently able to use basic offensive strategies like the pick-n-roll in order to generate good offense... on the other side, offense continues to feel like an endless struggle for the Celtics.

If Championship is the goal, we still have a long way to go.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of our first big challenges last night vs the Nets... and the C's got trounced.

Shooting, again, is the main culprit. Boston were 11 for 48 (23%) from 3 pt range. Plenty of those attempts were open shots, the Celtics just can't bury them.

Beyond that, from an eyeball test perspective: the Nets just look like a better team. Brooklyn was consistently able to use basic offensive strategies like the pick-n-roll in order to generate good offense... on the other side, offense continues to feel like an endless struggle for the Celtics.

If Championship is the goal, we still have a long way to go.

The ESPN article was really telling

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3