• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Celtics '20'21 - The Young and the Restless

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also unlike the guy he replaced he knows his role and doesn't seem to care if he does not get shots. Only 22, as well.

To ever get back to contender in East next draft is make or break. Doubt they will be bad enough for a while to get a very high pick. Thinking without a top pick in next draft we are resigned to being where no team should want to be....fringe playoff team.

Looked up his stats and didn't even pay attention to his age. 22, damn that's young. No reason why he can't be the C of the future for the Cavs.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked up his stats and didn't even pay attention to his age. 22, damn that's young. No reason why he can't be the C of the future for the Cavs.
I was surprised to learn that when we got him. seems like he's been in league longer than he actually has.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised to learn that when we got him. seems like he's been in league longer than he actually has.

I really thought Allen was about 5 years older for some reason.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston just has no identity. Tatum and Brown are amazing but they just truly have no idea "what" they are this season.

Think Ainge is going to make a blockbuster type trade shortly...

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Gman

Some questions about the Celtics I've been thinking about today.

Is it possible the team has run it's course with Stevens? I'm starting to think so.

Should a major shake-up happen, like trading Brown or Tatum? Only if it lands a superstar.

Would it be wise for the Celtics to go after Drummond? Have no idea what it take to get him. If it's too much no.

When will they get outta this funk they're in right now?

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it possible the team has run it's course with Stevens? I'm starting to think so.
I don't think so. It's still "just" the regular season. The C's were in the Conference Finals last year.

The playoffs are what matters. They get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round...that might be a different story.
Should a major shake-up happen, like trading Brown or Tatum? Only if it lands a superstar.
No way are either Brown or Tatum getting traded.

The "major shake-up" would more likely be a move for a Harrison Barnes type player. The cost on that would likely be draft picks, either a Romeo Langford or an Aaron Nesmith, and probably another piece too.
Would it be wise for the Celtics to go after Drummond? Have no idea what it take to get him. If it's too much no.
IMO, I don't think that's a wise move.

The C position is devalued in today's NBA... and it's not like Drummond is a perfect player. He can't shoot from the outside, and he struggles to defend in space.
When will they get outta this funk they're in right now?
They almost have to. Too much talent to be this bad in the regular season.

That said: my beliefs and expectations about this Celtics team have taken a blow. I was thinking realistic (though not favorite) Title contender... I can't say I am thinking that anymore.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. It's still "just" the regular season. The C's were in the Conference Finals last year.

The playoffs are what matters. They get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round...that might be a different story.

The "major shake-up" would more likely be a move for a Harrison Barnes type player. The cost on that would likely be draft picks, either a Romeo Langford or an Aaron Nesmith, and probably another piece too.

The C position is devalued in today's NBA... and it's not like Drummond is a perfect player. He can't shoot from the outside, and he struggles to defend in space.

That said: my beliefs and expectations about this Celtics team have taken a blow. I was thinking realistic (though not favorite) Title contender... I can't say I am thinking that anymore.

Thanks. Wanted see what you had to day. Just frustrated with the season so far.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they need Larry nance jr.

And some zone busting wing help.

and maybe another body to throw at embiid

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Brad Stevens is doing the best he can with a flawed roster. If Kemba can regain his form then they should at least be a tough out in the playoffs but if not, they are just too one dimensional to be a real threat in the playoffs.

If I were a Celtics fan, however, I would start taking a long look at Danny Ainge.

Those Nets trades were a LONG time ago and they squandered a lot of draft capital over the past 3 years. He did well drafting Brown and Tatum but it's a lot easier when you have top 4 picks. If they can't turn the trade exception for Hayward into something valuable, you are going to have to really question his strategies.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Brad Stevens is doing the best he can with a flawed roster. If Kemba can regain his form then they should at least be a tough out in the playoffs but if not, they are just too one dimensional to be a real threat in the playoffs.

If I were a Celtics fan, however, I would start taking a long look at Danny Ainge.

Those Nets trades were a LONG time ago and they squandered a lot of draft capital over the past 3 years. He did well drafting Brown and Tatum but it's a lot easier when you have top 4 picks. If they can't turn the trade exception for Hayward into something valuable, you are going to have to really question his strategies.

yup.

obviously no one has all the details and no one bats 1.000, buttttt he has some tough hits

and even when does something good, there are misses

the 2016 draft besides brown was awful. And even then it took beyond browns rookie control to be a full “hit” and look at the rest of the draft, passing on 2 good PGs when the team badly needed a pg.

Turning the 31st pick in 2016 into the 20th pick in 2019 was good, until he traded down again.

the trade down for Tatum saves them money, but he seemed to whiff on the pick unless Langford ever gets healthy.

Part of it is Danny never went all in, whcih is good for baseball, but not the NBA where unless you have a Lebron kawhi etc you go through cycles.

part of it is bad luck (Haywood getting hurt, draft ping pong balls and coin flips)

its never just one thing, but I’d put far more blame on Danny than Brad. If gh was healthy last year, Brad makes the finals

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been tough times lately, but one positive development is seeing Tatum go to the hoop when it's "game time".

If folks will recall, JT had those atrocious moments at the beginning of the year where he settled for long, contested 3's at the end of games...

... well, not recently and definitely not last night (where Tatum put the team on his back and willed them to victory):

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... Those Nets trades were a LONG time ago and they squandered a lot of draft capital over the past 3 years. He did well drafting Brown and Tatum but it's a lot easier when you have top 4 picks. If they can't turn the trade exception for Hayward into something valuable, you are going to have to really question his strategies.
Looking it over... recent drafts haven't been that bad.

The results are mixed, not bad IMO. Especially when you factor in draft position.

2016 was the worst results overall... that being said, that was 5 drafts ago... (and they got Jaylen Brown in that draft).

Ojeleye, RWIII and Payton Pritchard were all decent picks for where they were drafted... and Romeo Langford has been crippled by injuries (hard to fully blame the GM for that misfortune).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking it over... recent drafts haven't been that bad.

The results are mixed, not bad IMO. Especially when you factor in draft position.

2016 was the worst results overall... that being said, that was 5 drafts ago... (and they got Jaylen Brown in that draft).

Ojeleye, RWIII and Payton Pritchard were all decent picks for where they were drafted... and Romeo Langford has been crippled by injuries (hard to fully blame the GM for that misfortune).

Yeah but if you look at it in the sense of the draft capital they had, it's not really great. And it isn't really just about draft picks but the free agency moves. Lost Irving and Horford and Hayward and got nothing but a cap exception for it. So unless they are able to make a massive move this off-season the Celtics are basically 2 stars a bunch of random parts.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but if you look at it in the sense of the draft capital they had, it's not really great. And it isn't really just about draft picks but the free agency moves. Lost Irving and Horford and Hayward and got nothing but a cap exception for it. So unless they are able to make a massive move this off-season the Celtics are basically 2 stars a bunch of random parts.
I don't necessarily disagree with your critique overall. The Celtics do have a lot of "random", imperfect parts.

Although, in fairness, Kemba Walker is a pretty significant free agent pick-up... probably should be mentioned. He's looking more like his old self recently.

It basically all comes down to how the Celtics do in the playoffs this year.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair they basically turned Kyrie into kemba, who was good year 1 before he got hurt

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

part of the reason for the low results is also the two picks that were supposed to be too 5 ended up 14 due to fluke (kings) and stupid ping pong balls (grizzlies pick)

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't necessarily disagree with your critique overall. The Celtics do have a lot of "random", imperfect parts.

Although, in fairness, Kemba Walker is a pretty significant free agent pick-up... probably should be mentioned. He's looking more like his old self recently.

It basically all comes down to how the Celtics do in the playoffs this year.

FTR, if I were a Celtics fan I wouldn't be calling for Ainge to be fired right now. But I would be at least thinking about it.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, if I were a Celtics fan I wouldn't be calling for Ainge to be fired right now. But I would be at least thinking about it.

Not calling for Ainge to be fired right now. But I am very frustrated with the season so far. Everyone should be held accountable. From Ainge, to Stevens, to the players. And I have no faith in them making a deep run in the playoffs.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ainge is pretty damn shrewd overall.

Analyze any given move he has made... and the dude makes smart decisions almost every time (outside of the draft, which is a bit of crap shoot for everyone, and Ainge does ok there overall).

For instance, at first blush it may sound awful that they lost Horford for nothing.

But when you look at how Horford has played since leaving Boston... damn if that wasn't a good decision overall. If Boston overpaid to keep Horford, and he played like this... Ainge would have gotten destroyed.

Same thing with the IT situation. If Ainge "backed up the Brinks truck" there... it would have been a terrible move.

Gordon Hayward was just terrible luck with injuries... it happens, whatareyougonnado? :noidea:

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ainge is pretty damn shrewd overall.

Analyze any given move he has made... and the dude makes smart decisions almost every time (outside of the draft, which is a bit of crap shoot for everyone, and Ainge does ok there overall).

For instance, at first blush it may sound awful that they lost Horford for nothing.

But when you look at how Horford has played since leaving Boston... damn if that wasn't a good decision overall. If Boston overpaid to keep Horford, and he played like this... Ainge would have gotten destroyed.

Same thing with the IT situation. If Ainge "backed up the Brinks truck" there... it would have been a terrible move.

Gordon Hayward was just terrible luck with injuries... it happens, whatareyougonnado? :noidea:

he should’ve turned It2 into multiple picks for sure.