• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CBA Talks

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see u next year

The Major League Baseball Player's Association has filed unfair labor practice charges against Major League Baseball.​

Evan Drellich of The Athletic hears that MLB owners found Thursday's meeting with the MLBPA to be "unproductive."​

It did last only 15 minutes, though MLB lead negotiator Dan Halem and union lead negotiator Bruce Meyer got together for an additional 20 minutes of discussions. According to Drellich, the owners are unwilling to budge at all on the issue of qualifying more players for early salary arbitration, which has become a primary focus for the MLBPA in recent meetings and proposals. The two sides have yet to hammer out changes to the luxury tax threshold, which could be an even bigger sticking point. If a deal isn't done within the next 10 days or so, the start of the 2022 regular season will likely have to be delayed.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not verified yet-but rumors circulating that the owners want 7 teams from each league making the postseason-3 division winners 4 wild cards.

Top division winner gets a bye, #2 division winner gets their pick of the WCs, #3 picks who they want from who's left. The last 2 play each other, and winner of that gets the top seed coming off the bye.

If it wasn't a crap shoot before, it sure as shit will be now, if reports are true.
Baseball can't handle teams picking who they get to play in the playoffs. You know it would turn into some bizarre "unwritten rule" where the team who is picked feels disrespected and some lunatic reliever ends up throwing at someone.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see u next year

The Major League Baseball Player's Association has filed unfair labor practice charges against Major League Baseball.​

Evan Drellich of The Athletic hears that MLB owners found Thursday's meeting with the MLBPA to be "unproductive."​

It did last only 15 minutes, though MLB lead negotiator Dan Halem and union lead negotiator Bruce Meyer got together for an additional 20 minutes of discussions. According to Drellich, the owners are unwilling to budge at all on the issue of qualifying more players for early salary arbitration, which has become a primary focus for the MLBPA in recent meetings and proposals. The two sides have yet to hammer out changes to the luxury tax threshold, which could be an even bigger sticking point. If a deal isn't done within the next 10 days or so, the start of the 2022 regular season will likely have to be delayed.
But Judge…

They aren’t giving us what we want!!!!! And we REALLY want it!

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like i said the other day, problem is no real convo is happening. Met for an hour last weekend and 15 minutes this week. Not nearly enough time to discuss and try to find a middle ground

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Son of a bitch.

:mad2:

Hopefully now it lights a fire under the asses of both sides...and there's more of an urgency to reach a mutual agreement .

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like i said the other day, problem is no real convo is happening. Met for an hour last weekend and 15 minutes this week. Not nearly enough time to discuss and try to find a middle ground
i don't think there is any flexibility in either side. it all comes down to both want more money. i mean how much is enough. a 1st year player in the MLB gets around 650K a year if that player plays or sits on the bench, he is earning over $4000 a game and as he goes up in years, he will earn a lot more. Scherzer will earn over $43M for this season, averaging that over 162 games, he will earn $265k a game and if he makes 32 starts for the season and you base his salary only on those starts he gets over $1.3M per game. it has got ridiculous on how much fans have to pay for these games and how much the owners and players are putting in their pockets

Broad St. Rat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the owners were expecting the player's union to be this persistent in their demands, as the union has been tolerating the CBA being heavily in the owners' favor since 95 to prevent another strike. Personally, I'm glad the players union are causing all these headaches for the owners. The owners have been ridiculous these past few years with the service time manipulation and the payroll cuts. As a baseball fan, it sucks the season is in jeopardy, but I'd rather have the players have more benefits.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't think there is any flexibility in either side. it all comes down to both want more money. i mean how much is enough. a 1st year player in the MLB gets around 650K a year if that player plays or sits on the bench, he is earning over $4000 a game and as he goes up in years, he will earn a lot more. Scherzer will earn over $43M for this season, averaging that over 162 games, he will earn $265k a game and if he makes 32 starts for the season and you base his salary only on those starts he gets over $1.3M per game. it has got ridiculous on how much fans have to pay for these games and how much the owners and players are putting in their pockets
Bolded text is false.

Fans don’t have to pay a dime for these games. They CHOOSE to pay those prices. If it were too much, they wouldn’t go.

I don’t think either side is “evil” for fighting for their piece of the pie. Without the players, the owners would not have a product they could sell. Without the owners, the players would have no vehicle to utilize their skills to make generational money.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the owners were expecting the player's union to be this persistent in their demands, as the union has been tolerating the CBA being heavily in the owners' favor since 95 to prevent another strike. Personally, I'm glad the players union are causing all these headaches for the owners. The owners have been ridiculous these past few years with the service time manipulation and the payroll cuts. As a baseball fan, it sucks the season is in jeopardy, but I'd rather have the players have more benefits.
The service time manipulation really is an issue. Not that I believe it is the owners fault any more than I think it is the players fault. The owners have simply found an exploit. And it is good business to use exploits when they are discovered.

However, that does mean that the players need to fix that exploit ASAP.

I think having the “clock” start right when a players signs makes the most sense. Or have it age based. Or some kind of combination of the two. That way, it is in a teams best interest to get a player to the Bigs ASAP because they only have so much time to use that player.

So how long should said clock be? 10 years from signing? That would make high school draftees (and international amateur FAs) about 28 when they are free and college players about 31. That is probably too long. Maybe 8 years? Or just make it a simple “age 28 season” and officially define a players “age 28 season” as whatever (Just have a specific definition…. I don’t care).

Arbitration can be assessed to all players on the 40-man roster, regardless of their “clock”, as long as they don’t have a MLB contract (MLB contracts, would, of course, trump any of these rules). Rule V can apply to anyone entering their “age 25 season” who is not on the 40 man roster (this will encourage teams to promote players to the 40-man thus exposing them to arbitration).

There should be a hard team salary “floor” ($80m?) and a soft ceiling ($215m? with a tax applied to any overage). Teams signing “their own players” to MLB contracts should get some kind of cap relief on the new contracts to encourage players to stay with their current teams (only 75% of the contract counts towards the cap?). Come up with rules to define what constitutes “their own player”. Maybe 1.5 full seasons with the org? Maybe tie it to the PREVIOUS season’s trade deadline?

I haven’t fully fleshed out any of these ideas, but I think the concept of these ideas can be a good starting point…

Broad St. Rat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The service time manipulation really is an issue. Not that I believe it is the owners fault any more than I think it is the players fault. The owners have simply found an exploit. And it is good business to use exploits when they are discovered.

I think having the “clock” start right when a players signs makes the most sense. Or have it age based. Or some kind of combination of the two. That way, it is in a teams best interest to get a player to the Bigs ASAP because they only have so much time to use that player.

So how long should said clock be? 10 years from signing? That would make high school draftees (and international amateur FAs) about 28 when they are free and college players about 31. That is probably too long. Maybe 8 years? Or just make it a simple “age 28 season” and officially define a players “age 28 season” as whatever (Just have a specific definition…. I don’t care).

Arbitration can be assessed to all players on the 40-man roster, regardless of their “clock”, as long as they don’t have a MLB contract (MLB contracts, would, of course, trump any of these rules). Rule V can apply to anyone entering their “age 25 season” who is not on the 40 man roster (this will encourage teams to promote players to the 40-man thus exposing them to arbitration).

There should be a hard team salary “floor” ($80m?) and a soft ceiling ($215m? with a tax applied to any overage). Teams signing “their own players” to MLB contracts should get some kind of cap relief on the new contracts to encourage players to stay with their current teams (only 75% of the contract counts towards the cap?). Come up with rules to define what constitutes “their own player”. Maybe 1.5 full seasons with the org? Maybe tie it to the PREVIOUS season’s trade deadline?

I haven’t fully fleshed out any of these ideas, but I think the concept of these ideas can be a good starting point…

I think the proposal where there's extra draft picks for bringing up prospects and if they finish in the top voting for awards is a good start. I think your ideas are intriguing, and I'd implement them and experiment with them in Out of the Park Baseball if I could. I definitely agree there should be a cap for teams. It's ridiculous how there's some players in the league that are making more than the entire Baltimore Orioles payroll. I think age 28 season is adequate, since players start declining around then. It's better to have a player in free agency before the age of 30, so teams who sign them have a higher chance of getting something out of them.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association will meet again on Monday.​

The two sides will continue meeting each day next week, as necessary, in hopes of hammering out a deal. The latest CBA proposal came from the players and was deemed unacceptable by the league, as there seems to have been little-to-no progress to this point. Spring training games won't begin until March 5, at the earliest, the league said in a statement Friday. MLB has told the MLBPA that a deal will need to be reached by February 28 in order to avoid a delay to the start of the season, which has prompted "urgency," per Heyman.

Broad St. Rat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association will meet again on Monday.​

The two sides will continue meeting each day next week, as necessary, in hopes of hammering out a deal. The latest CBA proposal came from the players and was deemed unacceptable by the league, as there seems to have been little-to-no progress to this point. Spring training games won't begin until March 5, at the earliest, the league said in a statement Friday. MLB has told the MLBPA that a deal will need to be reached by February 28 in order to avoid a delay to the start of the season, which has prompted "urgency," per Heyman.

Hopefully this "urgency" leads to something, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm bracing for a 100 game season.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck em, if I need a baseball fix, I'll go watch a LL game.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it kind of hard to see from 1000 yards away?
Spying Peeping Tom GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A real floor is 90% of the ceiling

Shame on the players for nkt demanding that when the cbt was broached

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the proposal where there's extra draft picks for bringing up prospects and if they finish in the top voting for awards is a good start. I think your ideas are intriguing, and I'd implement them and experiment with them in Out of the Park Baseball if I could. I definitely agree there should be a cap for teams. It's ridiculous how there's some players in the league that are making more than the entire Baltimore Orioles payroll. I think age 28 season is adequate, since players start declining around then. It's better to have a player in free agency before the age of 30, so teams who sign them have a higher chance of getting something out of them.

Not it’s not.

And the orioles make 100m in league revenue before they sell a ticket, hot dog or parking space