• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cavs hire Beilein.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is why the age thing could matter:

The NBA travel schedule is brutal. A lot different than the 2 game a week college schedule with mostly regional road contests.

For a guy who has never had to do that, it is a lot to take on at 66.

Belien is a good basketball coach. I see no reason why he can't be successful at the NBA level if afforded talent, but I would also think a young roster would better fit a young coach that could grow with it. Looks like the plan is to get 3-5 years out of Belien to develop young players?
Travel matters during season compared to CBB, but he now doesn't need to travel/recruit.

As to your last comment, that's my guess, but not out of the question he goes longer if things are going well.

All that said, I would absolutely love this hire if he were 55. As it is I still like it.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beilein at this stage is pretty much a starter coach for this team. He’ll be a good x’s and o’s guy who I think should be able to coach up the young players for a youth movement for the Cavs. His age isn’t really that relevant if your goal in hiring him is for development purposes. You can always re-evaluate after 3 years but they needed to offer the 5 to get it done.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beilein at this stage is pretty much a starter coach for this team. He’ll be a good x’s and o’s guy who I think should be able to coach up the young players for a youth movement for the Cavs. His age isn’t really that relevant if your goal in hiring him is for development purposes. You can always re-evaluate after 3 years but they needed to offer the 5 to get it done.

Right, great point, development is the most important thing here especially when they could be drafting in the top 5 this year and top 10 next year. A LOT of young players, smart move by Gilbert getting a guy that can develop these young players.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, great point, development is the most important thing here especially when they could be drafting in the top 5 this year and top 10 next year. A LOT of young players, smart move by Gilbert getting a guy that can develop these young players.
I took it as strange that Altman was interviewing a ton of good young assistants on teams like Portland, San Antonio and Denver- 3 teams that are not high level free agent destinations that do a great job of player development------ but then they hire Beilein. I took that as it was Dan Gilbert's pick- which is probably true.

Everything that I have read tells me that it is a great hire- that a ton of people were surprised that the Cavs were able to pull it off- to get a college coach that is so well thought of, thats innovative and is a great team builder.

His age is somewhat of a concern, but how many coaches in the NBA are currently with their team for more than 5 years? I would imagine very very few- Pop, Carlisle, Spoelstra......Stevens are Kerr are right about that length. So what? less than 20% of the league makes it 5 years?

Plus, its laughable hearing dumb-asses cite the travel as an issue- these guys travel in private jets and have every luxury out there- especially on a team like the Cavs where you have Gilbert sparing no expense---- now if you are a Phil Jackson and literally cant sit for 3 hours in a plane without your backing giving out thats one thing- but its not like Beilien is un-well.

Its concerning to me that the Cavs process showed one thing, and then the hire went in a different direction from 20,000 feet overview, but i think they got the right guy for where they currently are. Again, every single thing i have read about this hire, every single person that has commented on it seems to love it.

Fucker is from Michigan though. lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took it as strange that Altman was interviewing a ton of good young assistants on teams like Portland, San Antonio and Denver- 3 teams that are not high level free agent destinations that do a great job of player development------ but then they hire Beilein. I took that as it was Dan Gilbert's pick- which is probably true.

Everything that I have read tells me that it is a great hire- that a ton of people were surprised that the Cavs were able to pull it off- to get a college coach that is so well thought of, thats innovative and is a great team builder.

His age is somewhat of a concern, but how many coaches in the NBA are currently with their team for more than 5 years? I would imagine very very few- Pop, Carlisle, Spoelstra......Stevens are Kerr are right about that length. So what? less than 20% of the league makes it 5 years?

Plus, its laughable hearing dumb-asses cite the travel as an issue- these guys travel in private jets and have every luxury out there- especially on a team like the Cavs where you have Gilbert sparing no expense---- now if you are a Phil Jackson and literally cant sit for 3 hours in a plane without your backing giving out thats one thing- but its not like Beilien is un-well.

Its concerning to me that the Cavs process showed one thing, and then the hire went in a different direction from 20,000 feet overview, but i think they got the right guy for where they currently are. Again, every single thing i have read about this hire, every single person that has commented on it seems to love it.

Fucker is from Michigan though. lol
According to Fedor article this one was more Koby than Gilbert. If it was Gilbert he'd say so as he did say Brown part 1, Blatt and I believe Scott were all Gilbert. Said 8 guys talked to him individually and all LOVED him. After that, he met with Gilbert alone at Beilein's home and put the deal together.

Agree, this was definitely out of the blue, but has to be with a college coach. Kills recruiting if it gets out, even if he stays put.

agree with your comments about age and travel. Age was a concern, at first, but you are correct. How long do most coaches stay anyway? And while he might have more games, he does not need to recruit.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Fedor article this one was more Koby than Gilbert. If it was Gilbert he'd say so as he did say Brown part 1, Blatt and I believe Scott were all Gilbert. Said 8 guys talked to him individually and all LOVED him. After that, he met with Gilbert alone at Beilein's home and put the deal together.

Agree, this was definitely out of the blue, but has to be with a college coach. Kills recruiting if it gets out, even if he stays put.

agree with your comments about age and travel. Age was a concern, at first, but you are correct. How long do most coaches stay anyway? And while he might have more games, he does not need to recruit.

But I also heard that Gilbert tried recruiting Izzo a couple years ago and Izzo decided not to leave MSU. He is good friends with Izzo and Gilbert is a Michigan man, went to MSU and was born and grew up in Michigan (fucker lol). It is hard to believe Gilbert hasn't been watching Beilein for a really long time and had interest. So it makes sense that maybe Koby hired him, but Gilbert was behind it all along though. But yeah it seemed like everyone loved Beilein. An off-the-wall hire but a very intriguing one, I hope it works out.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I also heard that Gilbert tried recruiting Izzo a couple years ago and Izzo decided not to leave MSU. He is good friends with Izzo and Gilbert is a Michigan man, went to MSU and was born and grew up in Michigan (fucker lol). It is hard to believe Gilbert hasn't been watching Beilein for a really long time and had interest. So it makes sense that maybe Koby hired him, but Gilbert was behind it all along though. But yeah it seemed like everyone loved Beilein. An off-the-wall hire but a very intriguing one, I hope it works out.
You get MSU guys hate UM as much as OSU guys? Also, a guy Altman brought in - Gansey - played for Beilein as was probably as responsible as anyone.

My mistake...it was a Pluto article.

Cleveland Cavaliers Owner Dan Gilbert talks coaches, front office, LeBron James and Kyrie Irving – Terry Pluto

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get MSU guys hate UM as much as OSU guys? Also, a guy Altman brought in - Gansey - played for Beilein as was probably as responsible as anyone.

My mistake...it was a Pluto article.

Cleveland Cavaliers Owner Dan Gilbert talks coaches, front office, LeBron James and Kyrie Irving – Terry Pluto

Business is business, if you have chance a great hire I would think nothing gets in the way, unless you just hate the guy in general. I mean Ohio St just took a couple of scUM's coaches this year.

Yeah looks like everyone in Cavs organization loved Beilein. It's just strange we never heard anything about it at all. I don't think this was just an on-the-spot move either, I'm sure it wasn't.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Business is business, if you have chance a great hire I would think nothing gets in the way, unless you just hate the guy in general. I mean Ohio St just took a couple of scUM's coaches this year.

Yeah looks like everyone in Cavs organization loved Beilein. It's just strange we never heard anything about it at all. I don't think this was just an on-the-spot move either, I'm sure it wasn't.
I agree this was probably discussed a while ago. As mentioned in previous post, discussions with college coaches will be kept hush hush until an agreement is reached for the coach to move. To let it out sooner would hurt recruiting....even if the guy ends up staying.

I think it's a home run move if he was 10 years younger, but still like it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually enjoyed watching the Cavs last year much more vs the year before when we had lebron, tbh

You guys see that the Indians have the All Star game in Cleveland this year, the draft is in Cleveland 2 years after that, and then the NBA All Star game is in Cleveland the following year? Pretty cool.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shocker.

Wiggy taking unprovoked shots at me. This time not even having the stones to tag me on it. What a clown.

I don't know Belien personally. He might be in great shape and travel might not bother him.

But it is rare that a 66 year old gets a first time job in the NBA and naive to just assume travel won't wear him down. And it isn't any one aspect of travel, it is the cumulative affects. I don't care how luxurious the accommodations, traveling as much as NBA teams do wears down your reserves.

As for the recruiting thing, most college head coaches don't travel as much as you think. Most of the leg work and grind is done by assistants. There are exceptions, but no doubt an NBA travel schedule is a lot more demanding.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys see that the Indians have the All Star game in Cleveland this year, the draft is in Cleveland 2 years after that, and then the NBA All Star game is in Cleveland the following year? Pretty cool.

I didn't see that. Remember back in the day when Thome and Griffey were in the HR Derby when they had the All-Star game in Cleveland. This year the Indians are a lot cause and I don't they will make a big pickup close to the trade deadline but at least they have the AS game lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shocker.

Wiggy taking unprovoked shots at me. This time not even having the stones to tag me on it. What a clown.

I don't know Belien personally. He might be in great shape and travel might not bother him.

But it is rare that a 66 year old gets a first time job in the NBA and naive to just assume travel won't wear him down. And it isn't any one aspect of travel, it is the cumulative affects. I don't care how luxurious the accommodations, traveling as much as NBA teams do wears down your reserves.

As for the recruiting thing, most college head coaches don't travel as much as you think. Most of the leg work and grind is done by assistants. There are exceptions, but no doubt an NBA travel schedule is a lot more demanding.
Sure, the amount of travel is far more in the NBA. But also naive to think NBA teams don't have it a little easier when they travel than a college team. And NBA coaches have ZERO travel when it comes to recruiting.

No question this type of hire is rare...doesn't mean it wont work. Hiring assistants with no experience is not rare and happens all the time. And fails a lot.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see that. Remember back in the day when Thome and Griffey were in the HR Derby when they had the All-Star game in Cleveland. This year the Indians are a lot cause and I don't they will make a big pickup close to the trade deadline but at least they have the AS game lol
Really is sad they pretty much gave up on their 2-3 year window to contend. To keep NBA related, can't believe there are people who cheer for Tribe and Cavs and prefer Dolan to Gilbert.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really is sad they pretty much gave up on their 2-3 year window to contend. To keep NBA related, can't believe there are people who cheer for Tribe and Cavs and prefer Dolan to Gilbert.

Other than Gilbert being kind of a dick, I don't see it close. You want an owner that will spend, if you don't have the money fucking sell to some other rich bastard. That's the thing about some franchises, they don't have a fighting chance if the owner is terrible.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Gilbert being kind of a dick, I don't see it close. You want an owner that will spend, if you don't have the money fucking sell to some other rich bastard. That's the thing about some franchises, they don't have a fighting chance if the owner is terrible.
Exactly. I could see thinking Gilbert is an ass (he seems like he is), but I'll take an ass who is unstable with an obscene will to win over a nice, stable, cheap owner.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point being, Lue's resume should've allowed him to get 5 years. The Lakers are basically sabotaging their own coaches. Meanwhile, Monty Williams got 5 years, as did Beilein; neither of which have Lue's resume. Hell, Vogel has a more complete resume and he got 3 years, while being saddled with Jason Kidd who's eventually going to politic himself into the HC job and get Vogel fired.

Exactly who is beating down Lue's door and offering him 5 years though? Has he even had an interview other than the Lakers?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You guys will really like Beilein. He took a UM program that hadn’t done anything since the Fab 5 and turned them into a national program again.

He will get every ounce of talent from the players on the roster, but the one downside to his style is — he takes players back to the basics. He forces his teams to take care of the ball and will drill it into their brains until it comes to fruition. (UM was always in the top 5-10 teams for fewest turnovers). Will professional players be willing to buy into those type of basic drills that helps win games?
He is tremendous at putting players in a position to succeed in his system and has a great eye for untapped talent. UM wasn’t bringing in top 10 recruiting classes in basketball, but Beilein would find players he felt he could coach up to be elite players. Tim Hardaway Jr, Trey Burke, Caris LaVert, Nick Stauskus, etc. Ignas Brazdeikis is the first player in 20 years to be a 1 and done player at UM, so we never signed the truly elite recruits, but Beilein turned them into elite talents.

His offense will have a ton of movement. Lots of spacing, lots of dribble drives with kicks for open 3’s and if he gets his way, he will have a team who always makes the extra pass to get the open look.

I am a die hard football fan, but I would have rather lost Jim Harbaugh as the football coach than Beilein as the basketball coach. That is how highly he is thought of around here. We knew the day was coming though. He talked of wanting to coach in the NBA and had interviewed a few times the last year or two. If Cleveland gives him time — I think he will turn them into a winning team and bare minimum, he will make all the young talent on the team better players.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, the amount of travel is far more in the NBA. But also naive to think NBA teams don't have it a little easier when they travel than a college team. And NBA coaches have ZERO travel when it comes to recruiting.

No question this type of hire is rare...doesn't mean it wont work. Hiring assistants with no experience is not rare and happens all the time. And fails a lot.

Didn't say it wouldn't work.

All I said was that travel was the reason the age thing MIGHT matter.

And Wiggy wanted to call me a dumbass in response to a very reasonable post.

I will let you all figure out why.