• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cavs hire Beilein.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Beilein as a pick up for the Cavs. The Cavs are starting fresh and need to establish an identity and development. Beilein fits the mold for the Cavs. Ideally, you'd like someone younger, but for the next 5-7 years he should be fine. Also, it's funny that Cleveland gave Beilein a 5-year deal, yet people were defending the Lakers for only offering 3 years to Lue, as well as Vogel.

Lue can sit home and feel insulted and still get paid by the Cavs, who offered him his last 5 year deal (an extension with 4 years guaranteed), of which he lasted a few games over 2 years.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
age only matter if he plans to retire in a few years. If he gets the ship righted and can stick around for 5 or 10 years? age a nonfactor

and it hurts UM..so a bonus.

Not sure he has 10 years left; it seemed that his recent extension with Michigan was supposed to keep him there until retirement.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very surprising. I figured he would eventually retire a Wolverine. I guess he felt like he needed a new challenge

Sounds like he was close to accepting when he was offered by the Pistons recently.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs are a playoff team by 2021. I think this could have a Brad Stevens like effect for the Cavs. Beilein is that good. Wonder if he'll bring some of his UM assistants with him. I probably would. Had a great staff at UM.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs are a playoff team by 2021. I think this could have a Brad Stevens like effect for the Cavs. Beilein is that good. Wonder if he'll bring some of his UM assistants with him. I probably would. Had a great staff at UM.

Rumors are that the Cavs will hire an experienced staff of NBA assistants but he already has connections with the assistant GM for the Cavs

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are that the Cavs will hire an experienced staff of NBA assistants but he already has connections with the assistant GM for the Cavs

Assistant coaches the Cavs should go after- Mike Brown, David Blatt, Lavar Ball.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right he coached Gansey at WVU. Really intrigued by who he hires.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lue can sit home and feel insulted and still get paid by the Cavs, who offered him his last 5 year deal (an extension with 4 years guaranteed), of which he lasted a few games over 2 years.

Point being, Lue's resume should've allowed him to get 5 years. The Lakers are basically sabotaging their own coaches. Meanwhile, Monty Williams got 5 years, as did Beilein; neither of which have Lue's resume. Hell, Vogel has a more complete resume and he got 3 years, while being saddled with Jason Kidd who's eventually going to politic himself into the HC job and get Vogel fired.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point being, Lue's resume should've allowed him to get 5 years. The Lakers are basically sabotaging their own coaches. Meanwhile, Monty Williams got 5 years, as did Beilein; neither of which have Lue's resume. Hell, Vogel has a more complete resume and he got 3 years, while being saddled with Jason Kidd who's eventually going to politic himself into the HC job and get Vogel fired.

I would guess neither lasts 5 years. Maybe Beilein, but it's hard to project what he will do in the NBA. Even Lue only had 4 years guaranteed on his last deal (and lasted 2).

SideSwipe52

The Franchise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good hire. Mark Jackson is still can't get an NBA head coaching gig again.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of left field hire. I'd like it a lot more if it were 5 years ago. He's a great college coach that might be ok in the NBA but you gotta think he's not going to coach past that 5 year deal. Ideally that be about the time the Cavs would be turning things around so you basically guaranteeing you're going to need a coaching change right as you're getting good. That could be disruptive. Not the route I would have gone. The Cavs interviewed a bunch of assistant coaches, a few of them that are talked highly about in NBA circles are promising HC material. Would have gone down that road instead.

I like Beilein as a pick up for the Cavs. The Cavs are starting fresh and need to establish an identity and development. Beilein fits the mold for the Cavs. Ideally, you'd like someone younger, but for the next 5-7 years he should be fine. Also, it's funny that Cleveland gave Beilein a 5-year deal, yet people were defending the Lakers for only offering 3 years to Lue, as well as Vogel.

Yeah. 5 years has basically been the standard for awhile now

Good hire. Mark Jackson is still can't get an NBA head coaching gig again.

Mark Jackson is essentially blackballed. Long story short, he was a bit of dickhead as a HC and burned a lot of bridges with how he treated front office members and assistant coaches. He was basically a dictator and expected everyone to kiss his ass. You don't see it much in the media because he's got friends there that protect him but if you go on the NBA dirt sheet insider type places of the internet, you'll see it talked about more. But most teams know about it and that's why they've all basically locked him out from even getting interviews.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet another reason to fucking hate Ohio!
Go Blue!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 years may be the standard, but when the pickings are slim, a 3 year contract makes a lot of sense.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to admit I liked it a lot more until I saw his age. I'd have guessed mid-50s, not 60s.

He can be a grandfather figure instead of a father figure. Even better.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why age has a factor. Might actually be a good thing he is older, I'm sick of these young coaches with not much coaching experience. Get a veteran, older guy and an offensive genius in there, he seemed to have very good defensive teams at scUM too

Here is why the age thing could matter:

The NBA travel schedule is brutal. A lot different than the 2 game a week college schedule with mostly regional road contests.

For a guy who has never had to do that, it is a lot to take on at 66.

Belien is a good basketball coach. I see no reason why he can't be successful at the NBA level if afforded talent, but I would also think a young roster would better fit a young coach that could grow with it. Looks like the plan is to get 3-5 years out of Belien to develop young players?