• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Careers up to age 32 season

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring serious injury it is entirely reason to believe that Lebron could win 3 or 4 more titles, especially if he can win this one.
I mean, its not too difficult to project the Warriors and Cavs being in lots of title games.

Superteams are basically devaluing the 'ring' discussion imo. Rings are important but at some point common sense has to kick in.

Then again, Lebron is almost a lock to be a top 5 all time player and is probably already there in most people's eyes. I just dont think the Finals appearances and the rings are the main reasons. Just a byproduct of the NBA's version of regional economies.

Reactions: TJL

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, its not too difficult to project the Warriors and Cavs being in lots of title games.

Superteams are basically devaluing the 'ring' discussion imo. Rings are important but at some point common sense has to kick in.

Then again, Lebron is almost a lock to be a top 5 all time player and is probably already there in most people's eyes. I just dont think the Finals appearances and the rings are the main reasons. Just a byproduct of the NBA's version of regional economies.

How valuable are the Lakers or Celtics championships? Just curious.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How valuable are the Lakers or Celtics championships? Just curious.
Depends. How many people actually see Bill Russell as the GOAT?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends. How many people actually see Bill Russell as the GOAT?

Well the Lakers teams had arguably two of the top 5 players ever on the team at the same time, along with another HOF in James worthy. Celtics had Bird, Parish, McHale, Johnson, etc. I mean were those not super teams too?

Take the top 3 guys from both the Cavs and the Warriors. Do those three even compare to say Magic, Kareem and Worthy?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Lakers teams had arguably two of the top 5 players ever on the team at the same time, along with another HOF in James worthy. Celtics had Bird, Parish, McHale, Johnson, etc. I mean were those not super teams too?
Yes, though I have Lebron past all of those guys already regardless of the ring conversation.

The game is so different now. I don't think we'll be able to fully judge a team like the Warriors for at least another 10 years to see how prolific player can actually get when it comes to the 3pt shot.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's just ignore Jordan played three years of college ball and retired for two years, and lebron came straight out of high school.

How about you compare careers after playing 14 NBA seasons?

BTW, 7 finals appearances means nothing when you're 3-4 (soon to be 3-5)

How about if we just wait until LeBron retires and compare then?

That is really the only way to make it fair. LeBron will play more seasons, but that should not be helps against him. Playing longer is a good thing. I do not think it is fair to compare age or number of seasons partway through one player's career. We can only really make a valid comparison when we can see the entire body of work for both.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give it up Ned Stark. Lebron has owned the Eastern conference sure. Is that impressive? Not really.

2nd, career means career. Not what they did up until age 32 while Lebron had a 3 year head start as far as stats.

Lebron is a great player but he's no Jordan. Isn't even in MJ's ballpark - all you have to do is watch.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to The Ringer NBA podcast and Kevin O'Connor brought up this point.

If you compared Lebron James to 32 year old Michael Jordan, you could easily argue that James has been the better player.

So let's compare the two.

Jordan turned 32 in 1995 so we can include that year.

Jordan

3 NBA Titles
3 Finals appearances in 10 seasons
3 NBA Finals MVP
3 MVPs
9 All-Stars
8 All-NBAs 1st team
7 All-defensive player 1st team

James
3 NBA titles
7 NBA finals in 13 seasons
3 NBA finals MVP
4 MVPs
13 All-stars
11 All-NBAs 1st team
5 All-defensive 1st team.

Based on this if James can have anything approaching the same career as Jordan in the back half then it seems that there is a pretty compelling argument that James had the better career.

Obviously a lot of this comes down to rings. If James can carry the Cavs to a title this year he would actually be ahead of Jordan when it comes to titles at this point in their careers.

At age 32 MJ had 4 rings and practically missed the entire 85-86 season (started 7 games) from a broken leg AND came back from baseball in April of 1995 to play in 17 games of the 94-95 season. So if you want to count those as full season go on ahead pitching your agenda.

It's funny.

Basically Jordan has accomplished more in less time. Not to mention let's talk season MVP.. Jordan came into a league where Bird won the MVP 3 times in row. Then Magic Johnson/Jordan split the next 6 MVPs. Anyone today see a Magic Johnson or Larry Bird in the league? Anyone see the Celtics, Pistons, or Knicks in the East?

But when the game was on the line, in the finals? 6-0 with 6 MVPs

Once again, for the 800th time..

Jordan > Lebron

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firstly, you're ignoring the fact Jordan came in to the league at age 21/22 and lebron was 18...

Secondly "Lebron could win 3 or 4 more titles"... :pound:

How drunk are you right now? No seriously.

I'm not ignoring that Jordan came into the league when he was 20. That's well established. So what?

If you think that it is absurd that Lebron could win 3 or 4 more titles then you don't understand basketball at all.

Jordan won 3 titles after age 32. Kareem won 5. Lebron is still the best player in the game and has, so far, been indestructible.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not ignoring that Jordan came into the league when he was 20. That's well established. So what?

If you think that it is absurd that Lebron could win 3 or 4 more titles then you don't understand basketball at all.

Jordan won 3 titles after age 32. Kareem won 5. Lebron is still the best player in the game and has, so far, been indestructible.

So lebron hopped from team to team to create super-teams and in a 14 year career has only won 3 titles, but all of a sudden he can win "3 or 4 more" when he's about to hit 33?

Give me a break. He's got the most mileage of any star player in NBA history. What's the excuse going to be in a couple of years time when he becomes 'just another NBA player'?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At age 32 MJ had 4 rings and practically missed the entire 85-86 season (started 7 games) from a broken leg AND came back from baseball in April of 1995 to play in 17 games of the 94-95 season. So if you want to count those as full season go on ahead pitching your agenda.

Jordan had 3 rings by age 32. He won his 4th at age 33.

You can only be judged by your performance on the court. Greg Oden may have been one of the greatest players of all time but he couldn't stay healthy.

Basically Jordan has accomplished more in less time. Not to mention let's talk season MVP.. Jordan came into a league where Bird won the MVP 3 times in row. Then Magic Johnson/Jordan split the next 6 MVPs. Anyone today see a Magic Johnson or Larry Bird in the league? Anyone see the Celtics, Pistons, or Knicks in the East?

The current Warriors team is arguably the greatest team ever assembled. They've won, on average, 69 games a year over the last 3 seasons. The Knicks? Are you serious?

But when the game was on the line, in the finals? 6-0 with 6 MVPs

Once again, for the 800th time..

Jordan > Lebron

OK. That's your standard. Seems like nostalgia has a pretty good hold on you.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L Lebron came into the league at 19 and MJ at 21, not 20.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So lebron hopped from team to team to create super-teams and in a 14 year career has only won 3 titles, but all of a sudden he can win "3 or 4 more" when he's about to hit 33?

Give me a break. He's got the most mileage of any star player in NBA history. What's the excuse going to be in a couple of years time when he becomes 'just another NBA player'?

Some of you folks are absolutely hilarious with your Lebron hate.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L Lebron came into the league at 19 and MJ at 21, not 20.

OK. And his first finals appearance wasn't for 7 years.

2 years difference apparently is a world of difference.

Imagine if Jordan wasn't suspended?