• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can Aaron Rodgers be part of the problem?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers has been off on a lot of throws this year, but I think it is because he is injured and doesn't trust his line, which affects his footwork. Without him the Packers would be like Cleveland or Buffalo right now.

Imagine totally wasting the prime of the most talented QB in the league. Take away his one ring and Rodgers would be the next Marino.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll need to be better at reading the defense and getting the ball out quicker if he wants another ring. Neither of those two things was ever his strength so it will require a total make-over of his preparation and playing style.
I disagree with the first and agree with the second.

He's definitively elite at reading defenses both before and after the snap. His current 20:1 TD:INT this season and career 333:79 (greatest in NFL history by miles) is all the proof you really need for that.

He does need to get the ball out quicker. Some of that is on Rodgers and some isn't, though...
  • He sometimes holds the ball too long waiting for someone on a deep route to break open - he likes to take the deep shot when he can. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. It's a balance of risk/reward with the risk being a sack or throwaway or broken scramble play. I'd certainly take that over his HOF predecessor who constantly aired it out regardless if it was there or not.
  • Some of the blame rests on McCarthy's playcalling. Many of his passing plays do not have checkdown options - everyone runs 10+ yard routes and there's nowhere for Rodgers to go with the ball if the offensive line doesn't hold. A lot of his plays are just poorly designed or predictable and it forces Rodgers to try to make something out of nothing. McCarthy also often doesn't appropriately adjust the playcalling for shorter quick-hitter pass plays when the offensive line is getting steamrolled.
  • Some of the blame rests on the receivers for not being able to get open. Particularly in the last few years with Jordy and Cobb constantly banged up and this current group of rookies, it's rare if a receiver gets separation in man coverage. It's pretty easy to play D against this current group of Packers receivers - just double Adams and man everyone else and Rodgers has nowhere to go. This current group also does not come back to Rodgers when he gets flushed out of the pocket as receivers past would.
  • There are occasions where he ignores an open checkdown in favor of a deep shot possibility that never materializes and is forced to take a sack or throwaway. Hindsight is always 20/20.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks losses this year haven't been to scrubs. They've lost on the road to the 8-3 Bears, the 10-1 Rams, and the 5-6 Broncos who just beat the Chargers and Steelers. Their home losses are to the 10-1 Rams and the 8-3 Chargers. Honestly, there probably aren't a lot of other teams who'd have done just as well as the Hawks have done this year considering who've they've played. Plus, all those losses were very close and could have gone either way at the end. Same can be said for a couple of their wins, but all I'm saying is the Seahawks aren't getting blown out by the best teams, and they are beating the teams they should. They've been very surprising this year actually, and Wilson has played a huge part in that.

seahawks may make the playoffs, although i doubt they are anywhere near as strong as a few years ago. wilsons a good qb, but when the seahawks were a top team, they had a great defense, good running game, and a good oc. the packers are outstanding at one position. they've also had 5 tough road game game all bunched together, lions, vikings, rams, pats, and seahawks, which were all close games, but losses.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't Rodgers been clamoring all year that Davante Adams is the best WR in the NFL?

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers has had a great career but he isn't the guy you think he is any longer.

There are plenty of QB's in this league that could do the same if not better than what Rodgers has done this year.

The league kind of passed Rodgers by. This is a quick hitting passing league that relies on presnap reads and getting the ball out on time. Neither were ever Rodgers strong suit. He was always his best buying time with his legs and making unbelievable accurate deep throws. While every single team in the league has seen their passing efficiency rise by leaps and bounds over the years, Rodgers has not only not improved but regressed.

Here is Green Bay passing stats rankings over the years since 2014 (Rodgers last great year).

Y/A - 2nd
QB rating - 2nd
Total yards - 8th

Y/A - 28th
QB rating - 13th
Total yards - 25th

Y/A - 16th
QB rating - 5th
Total yards - 7th

n/a - Rodgers missed too much of the season.

Y/A - 9th
QB rating - 10th
Total yards - 8th

The simple fact of the matter is that Rodgers hasn't been great in awhile if you look at it objectively. But when you are dealing with a 1st ballot HOF'er, objectively isn't how people often view it.
This ties into my entire point.

People get so butt hurt when it comes to giving some criticism to Rodgers. He has not been the same QB and it is obvious. The whole "Rodgers carries the team" narrative is accurate, but when he carries the team to 4 wins in 11 games and 0 wins on the road, is that something to behold?

Carson Wentz, Matt Stafford, Baker Mayfield and Derek Carr have all carried their teams this year also. Not one of them has more than 4 wins.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's definitely part of the problem. The whole team is really. Whatever's got Rodgers in a funk , whether's is personal or being salty over losing Jordy or just being sour on the coaching, he's got a hand in what's going on there right now.

I'm thinking it's mostly coaching. McCarthy isn't such a great coach anymore, and it hasn't helped that the Packers haven't done a great job of loading up the team with talent of late.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
green bay would have a hard time even winning games without rodgers. he just doesn't have the pieces around him to take them to the sb, aside from a broken clavicle, a broken collarbone, and an injured knee earlier this year. tom brady misses a game, and new england doesn't miss a beat. they have a great system, green bay doesn't.

Exactly why I think MM and GB need to part ways. I don't completely blame MM though. Rodgers is just as responsible. Yes, Rodgers is the reason GB has a chance to win games but he is also the reason they are losing. Someone mentioned that GB isn't as talented as people think. This isn't true. GB has talent, they just don't have enough playmaking talent. The defense is mediocre mainly because there really isn't any playmaking talent on it. On offense the only playmaking talent is Rodgers, Adams and I would say Jones. They have just enough to beat the shitty teams but will always fall short against teams with more playmakers.

The other issue is the powers that be in GB love to bring in has been players way past there prime. This has been more of a disappointment than help.

Not sure who can replace MM but whoever it is they better be able to get more with less.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they?? Jimmy Graham, Davante adams and Aaron Jones are ALL very good players... It is not the talent around him that's the problem... And He has always been mobile enough to counter a weaker offensive line... So the Talent around him is NOT a valid excuse!!!
Exclamation points let me know not to bother.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly why I think MM and GB need to part ways. I don't completely blame MM though. Rodgers is just as responsible. Yes, Rodgers is the reason GB has a chance to win games but he is also the reason they are losing. Someone mentioned that GB isn't as talented as people think. This isn't true. GB has talent, they just don't have enough playmaking talent. The defense is mediocre mainly because there really isn't any playmaking talent on it. On offense the only playmaking talent is Rodgers, Adams and I would say Jones. They have just enough to beat the shitty teams but will always fall short against teams with more playmakers.

The other issue is the powers that be in GB love to bring in has been players way past there prime. This has been more of a disappointment than help.

Not sure who can replace MM but whoever it is they better be able to get more with less.

they are losing close games on the road with good teams. i don't watch every packer game, but i think rodgers is the last person they want to unload. but they better make some changes soon, otherwise they'll be playing without rodgers, broken clavicle, broken collarbone, injured knee this season, and team among league leaders in sack yards lost.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think another part of the whole discussion is how greatly over-rated the team itself is year after year strictly because they have Rodgers.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. Been saying for years that the Packers have annually been the most overrated team in the NFL, largely due to the excellence of Rodgers. Each year and including this one, you could count on at least a half dozen or more beat writers, analysts, and so called 'experts' predicting this is the year the Pack returns to the SB. What all these folks fail to realize is that the talent surrounding him and on defense have been in decay for some time. I suspect 2019 will finally be the year where we don't see even so much as a single expert calling for the Pack to make it to the SB.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers is not winning a SB anytime soon...……….unless its for another team or as a coach somewhere else...…….

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@The Derski
…………..lol...………...A facepalm over that...……..care to give me your intake...……..?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@The Derski
…………..lol...………...A facepalm over that...……..care to give me your intake...……..?
Eagles went from second pick in the draft to SB champs in two years.

Your take is hot shit stemming from decades of jealousy.

Edit: 8th pick traded up

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles went from second pick in the draft to SB champs in two years.

Your take is hot shit stemming from decades of hatred.

:fify:

But hey,I think the only way Rodgers gets back there,if LeVeon bell signs with you........and then he may not be the same player he once was either...…….You guys seem to pull out very good wrs year after year with decent o-lineman and still cant get the job done...……..

I just don't believe hes getting another ring...……..