• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cam Newton: I'm an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven't

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be in the minority, but I have a much bigger problem with Brady and his smugness (off the field) and crybaby tendencies (on the field). Hell...Brady is even smug when he's lying. Newton's antics don't annoy me near as much.

Not everyone can be Peyton Manning and clearly neither of these QBs are (for different reasons of course). I'm truly hoping Peyton can get his 2nd ring and go out on top. He deserves it.

Are you going to be a flaming homo for the rest of your life?

Do tell us when you have encountered Tom Brady off the field and how (in your view) he was smug?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you going to be a flaming homo for the rest of your life?

Do tell us when you have encountered Tom Brady off the field and how (in your view) he was smug?

Were you typing this while Brady's nut sack was in your mouth???

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam was criticized early in his career for sulking.
Now he is being criticized for celebrating.
If you want to stop the celebrating, keep him out of the end zone!!!!!

This is the stupidest thing folks have typed in this thread Southie. Dude "celebrates" by fem dancing every time a yard is gained.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone made a joke about being a scary African American QB for Halloween next year yet?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam better be careful. He's gonna get what he's asking for.

Dante Culpepper was a similar size QB with scrambling skills.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady, Tim Tebow, Kaep, RGIII, Luck, etc. etc. etc. etc. Pretty much every QB celebrates.

Not after picking up a 4 yard first down they don't.. :L

aerobics-dance.gif

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drove into to work today, so i listed to WFAN's morning show with Boomer Esiason (and his little bald sidekick, Carton). They interviewed Jets receiver Brandon Marshall and asked his take on Cam's statement.

TL;DR: Boomer and Carton don't believe race plays any part in the criticism Cam receives (they are both white men). Marshall disagreed but was basically told he was full of shit.

Marshall was trying to be as diplomatic as possible about it, but clearly he believes there was some substance to the Newton's statements. He even brought his own experience into the discussion, saying that as a black man, he had experienced some subtle forms of discrimination based on his skin color that Cam would have experienced, but Boomer and Carton would not have. The hosts essentially told Marshall that they didn't believe him, and that he couldn't possibly have ever faced any racism in his life because "we're beyond all that; you've made millions of dollars playing a game, so your life has been fine."

Boomer went on to joke about being a "Norwegian-American" and how his ethnic group was a very small minority in America...and that when they hold their parade, they "don't shut down the whole Street."

I think Boomer's and Carton's attitude is one widely shared by many whites in this country, but I'm a bit shocked that they were so blunt about it. They usually stay away from that kind of stuff.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This piece is pretty long, but I found it interesting and relevant to the discussion here: Cam Newton polarization: The truth about race at quarterback

Here are a couple of excerpts that I found particularly interesting:

"CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- One of the most important lessons Cam Newton learned about the NFL came long before he ever became the lightning rod of Super Bowl 50.

It was back in 2011, when the recent Heisman Trophy winner was training for the NFL Scouting Combine and Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon was one of his advisers. Newton once asked Moon about his biggest regret during a career that ended with Moon being the first black quarterback inducted into the Hall. It was simple, Moon told him: He wished he could've had more fun playing the game."

Moon is also quoted:

""First, we had to prove we could play the position," Moon said. "Then we had to face questions about our leadership abilities. Even when you look at the guys who played the position in my time -- myself, Doug Williams, even a Randall Cunningham -- we were all laid back. Now it's more of a 'me' generation and you can show more of your personality. It used to be that you had to be more like a politician than a football player to be a black quarterback. Cam plays the game with his personality.""

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure that there are people who don't like Cam because he's black. It's just the reality.

However, with the popularity of his jersey, him in general, and the NFL (which has to sport a huge minority %), it's hard to say that people point him out because he's a black QB, and said that no one before him was like him...that's not exactly true.

QB's just tend to be a bit more reserved, and of course, QB's don't tend to score many rushing TD's. He scores a lot, and that leads to dancing a lot. Like it or hate it, it's what the NFL has become.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drove into to work today, so i listed to WFAN's morning show with Boomer Esiason (and his little bald sidekick, Carton). They interviewed Jets receiver Brandon Marshall and asked his take on Cam's statement.

TL;DR: Boomer and Carton don't believe race plays any part in the criticism Cam receives (they are both white men). Marshall disagreed but was basically told he was full of shit.

Marshall was trying to be as diplomatic as possible about it, but clearly he believes there was some substance to the Newton's statements. He even brought his own experience into the discussion, saying that as a black man, he had experienced some subtle forms of discrimination based on his skin color that Cam would have experienced, but Boomer and Carton would not have. The hosts essentially told Marshall that they didn't believe him, and that he couldn't possibly have ever faced any racism in his life because "we're beyond all that; you've made millions of dollars playing a game, so your life has been fine."

Boomer went on to joke about being a "Norwegian-American" and how his ethnic group was a very small minority in America...and that when they hold their parade, they "don't shut down the whole Street."

I think Boomer's and Carton's attitude is one widely shared by many whites in this country, but I'm a bit shocked that they were so blunt about it. They usually stay away from that kind of stuff.

Fuck Carton. Can't stand him

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck Carton. Can't stand him

Yeah, he's pretty trollish. Hard to believe after all the crying he does about anti-Semitism that he would just flat out dismiss a black man's claims that he has experienced discrimination in his lifetime.