• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

California just voted in favor of killing off the PAC-12

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you imagine if the Pac12 split from the NCAA, allowed all its athletes to sign endorsement deals, and also allowed the players to smoke pot?

The Pac12 could quickly become an all-star league in terms of recruits. Although, professional teams may not like that most the athletes coming from the Pac12 would likely fail a drug screen at some point in their career. :D

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter how well you pay if you can't compete for titles . Even if they get all the best players and dominate regular seasons they'll never win anything . Kind of like how UCF football and Gonzaga basketball already do it

So you think that the top 50 recruits are more interested in winning titles than getting paid large sums of money?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is another thing. When the XFL starts, what would keep athletes from jumping ship? I mean a guy like Tua could have played his freshman year at Bama, won the national title game, and then put his name in the XFL draft. I don't think he would have hurt his NFL draft status, and would be getting paid (endorsements, XFL contract, etc.). Plus he could spend all his time training instead of in a school classroom.

I wonder if the XFL (which is well funded from what I heard), will entice some of these freshman and sophomore superstars to jump ship early. They could spend a year or two in the XFL and get ready for the NFL draft without having the classroom requirements.
I’m all for letting them do that. But if they want to go to college they have to play by college rules.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle and Portland have become California satellite shitholes due to the migrant California hordes overrunning those states and bringing their whacked out liberal bs with them. The only hope for the west coast is an all out civil war with no quarter given as in a Pol Pot style ending.
No State has endured more of the California migration proportionately than Idaho. For what ever reason we seem to have attracted a lot of the reasonable folks that left because they know it is f'd up. However, we do have our share of Californians that want duplicate the winning strategy that created the atmosphere they just sprinted away from.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m all for letting them do that. But if they want to go to college they have to play by college rules.

They play by whatever rules they are given. That looks to be changing in California.

I think the NCAA will change because of it too. Just a hunch.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No State has endured more of the California migration proportionately than Idaho. For what ever reason we seem to have attracted a lot of the reasonable folks that left because they know it is f'd up. However, we do have our share of Californians that want duplicate the winning strategy that created the atmosphere they just sprinted away from.
Seattle has Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, Starbucks and a shitload of off the wall tech companies that you don't always read about. The first California horde to hit Seattle was in the 60's ... Boeing workers who were laid off from McDonell Douglas. Those ones were ok. The latest hordes to hit from that state were manbun wearing techies. Unfortunately those are the ones who vote. Husky Stadium used to be a blue collar crowd for the most part: construction workers, longshoremen, brewery workers, etc ...

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think that the top 50 recruits are more interested in winning titles than getting paid large sums of money?
I think i don't care what top 50 recruits , top 100 recruits , top 300 recruits want . They can all go to Cali and get paid. I watch sports to see my team try to win big games , conference titles/tournaments , make a great bowl or the NCAA tourney etc . Frankly i hope this passes and ALL the top guys choose the money . It will level the playing field for teams to win .

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with removing the tuition and that garbage. Amateurs are still allowed to profit off their likeness. There is no reason for NCAA to block that.

The athletes are generating billions in revenue, and allowed access to none of it because of an arbitrary distinction.

And it costs "billions" to create the system that these athletes are using to get their free educations and training for professional sports if they have the talent. It's a two-way street. There is no free lunch.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...d0a324-d3e6-11e9-9343-40db57cf6abd_story.html

Lawmakers in California have launched the latest attack on NCAA amateurism rules, with a bill approved late Monday by the State Assembly that would permit college athletes in the state to get paid for their name, image and likeness through endorsement deals, sponsorships, autograph signings and other similar income opportunities.

Initially proposed by state Sen. Nancy Skinner, a Democrat from Berkeley, the Fair Pay to Play Act drew social media support from NBA stars LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, as well as U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.). If signed, as expected, by Gov. Gavin Newsom (D), the bill carries the potential to force major colleges and universities to allow scholarship athletes to make money through income avenues that the NCAA has warned, for decades, would bring about an end to college sports as we know it in America.

giphy.gif

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, Starbucks and a shitload of off the wall tech companies that you don't always read about. The first California horde to hit Seattle was in the 60's ... Boeing workers who were laid off from McDonell Douglas. Those ones were ok. The latest hordes to hit from that state were manbun wearing techies. Unfortunately those are the ones who vote. Husky Stadium used to be a blue collar crowd for the most part: construction workers, longshoremen, brewery workers, etc ...
Oh, I get it. When I moved to Boise from Spokane in 92' Redmond Washington was the only city in America that had more millionaires per capita than Boise. Albertsons, Micron, Hewlett Packards largest profit center, Simplot, Morrison Knutsen (2nd largest general contractor in the World) and Zilog all based here. We are a shadow of that today.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think i don't care what top 50 recruits , top 100 recruits , top 300 recruits want . They can all go to Cali and get paid. I watch sports to see my team try to win big games , conference titles/tournaments , make a great bowl or the NCAA tourney etc . Frankly i hope this passes and ALL the top guys choose the money . It will level the playing field for teams to win .

No it won't. Bama, Clemson, UGA, Ohio State, Texas, etc. will all threaten to leave the NCAA if they don't level the playing field, even if the Pac12 teams can no longer compete in the NCAA. The second that they start losing recruits to the West Coast due to these rule changes, is the time that these schools will form their own governing body. Too much money at stake to allow the golden goose to be killed.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it won't. Bama, Clemson, UGA, Ohio State, Texas, etc. will all threaten to leave the NCAA if they don't level the playing field. The second that they start losing recruits to the West Coast, is the time that these schools will form their own governing body. Too much money at stake to all the golden goose to be killed.
Why would any of those schools care as long as the Cali schools are banned from postseason and conference play ? Alabama doesn't care about recruits , they care about titles . If the top 100 guys all choose the money then the schools you mentioned will all just get number 101-150 every year . Fans don't care about recruits either other than they hope they win

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you watch Dartmouth and Brown battle it out on saturdays.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it costs "billions" to create the system that these athletes are using to get their free educations and training for professional sports if they have the talent. It's a two-way street. There is no free lunch.

I can agree with that. My argument is one side has removed the voice of the second from getting a fair piece of the revenue. They have set down a static value, that is only so valuable because the cost is artificially inflated, and blocked them from using their fame for their own benefit.

All while not having to pay for normal required benefits that any employer has to pay.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would any of those schools care as long as the Cali schools are banned from postseason and conference play ? Alabama doesn't care about recruits , they care about titles . If the top 100 guys all choose the money then the schools you mentioned will all just get number 101-150 every year . Fans don't care about recruits either other than they hope they win
So you'd be UCF. lol

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They would care because many of the top 100 athletes would not go to their school, or just about any school they compete against.

It would turn into the JV of college football. Can you imagine NFL draft day with just a handful of players from all the NCAA being drafted in the first few rounds? It would lose a lot of respect, and most importantly viewership and endorsements. The big companies would FLOCK to sponsor a league filled with NFL prospects as opposed to the other league.

It would be a DISASTER for the NCAA if they lost most of the top 100 recruits every year to another competing league. You'd also likely lose all the best coaches.