• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

California just voted in favor of killing off the PAC-12

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@gobucks0409 I can picture a guy like Urban Meyer going to USC, and sitting on the couch of the #1 recruit in the country.

He enters the house with a Nike Representative, a Beats representative, and a representative from Ford. They give him a bunch of shoes, and apparel. They give him five sets of headphones to give to his friends. They also tell him that he can pick up an F150. They also will have a check ready for him money every month. All he has to do is sign a 5 year contract with all three of them. And they offer him a scholarship to USC.

After he signs that kid, he immediately goes to the next kid in line. There would be no scholarship limits, so he could sign 40 of these kids in his first class alone.

Rinse and repeat as other Pac12 schools can do the same thing with recruits. No limits on who you can contact. Call/text/ IM any of the starting QB's at any school, and offer them scholarships and endorsement deals. See if you can get any of them to jump ship. Do it with other starting athletes. They can all come and be immediately eligible.

Last edited:

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems like a weird request.
how has UW done against the B1G lately?
Who cares. The B1G makes bank from TV contracts not to mention that conference is big on academics as in research schools. Washington would be the perfect fit in that conference.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right because this has nothing to do with the National Collegiate ATHLETIC Association.
Thats like saying Roger Goodell should have a say on what Jennifer Lawrence is filming.
It has everything to do with it. The school and the ncaa want to be the only ones making money from that student who plays football,

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has everything to do with it. The school and the ncaa want to be the only ones making money from that student who plays football,
Just think ... in as little as two generations from now nobody will know who or what USC football was other than old ass films played on the history channel. :)

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think ... in as little as two generations from now nobody will know who or what USC football was other than old ass films played on the history channel. :)

I'm scared that Urban is going to awaken a sleeping giant at USC. All they need is a big time coach, and they will start recruiting like its 1999 again!

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@iowajerms tell your boyz to heat up the bratwurst & kraut and have some cold beer on hand because the Huskies are coming to town .. every other year. :cool:

AR-190229867.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only in America can getting $50k+ in tax free benefits be considered slave labor. I bet you people believe that burger flippers at McDonalds should be paid $10million a year because they would bee nothing without them.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm scared that Urban is going to awaken a sleeping giant at USC. All they need is a big time coach, and they will start recruiting like its 1999 again!
The only people that will see Urban coach USC are the ones who have access to channel 901 on comcast. lolz

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only people that will see Urban coach USC are the ones who have access to channel 901 on comcast. lolz

You don't think he would jump to USC? He may be done this time, but I just don't see him quitting quite yet. USC is a gold mine, so I imagine if he comes back, it would have to be for a major program that would worship him for saving it.

I think he would turn them into a playoff team within 3 years. I really don't like him, but he is a legit coach and recruiter. (well, maybe a bit of a cheater too...but I digress)

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@gobucks0409 I can picture a guy like Urban Meyer going to USC, and sitting on the couch of the #1 recruit in the country.

He enters the house with a Nike Representative, a Beats representative, and a representative from Ford. They give him a bunch of shoes, and apparel. They give him five sets of headphones to give to his friends. They also tell him that he can pick up an F150. They also will have a check ready for him money every month. All he has to do is sign a 5 year contract with all three of them. And they offer him a scholarship to USC.

After he signs that kid, he immediately goes to the next kid in line. There would be no scholarship limits, so he could sign 40 of these kids in his first class alone.

Rinse and repeat as other Pac12 schools can do the same thing with recruits. No limits on who you can contact. Call/text/ IM any of the starting QB's at any school, and offer them scholarships and endorsement deals. See if you can get any of them to jump ship. Do it with other starting athletes. They can all come and be immediately eligible.
Only if those companies see a payoff. For some, it'll be a no brainier. For others, I bet you'd see a bunch of incentive laden contracts, like $100k/year (maybe?), with more if they are a top pick.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think he would jump to USC? He may be done this time, but I just don't see him quitting quite yet. USC is a gold mine, so I imagine if he comes back, it would have to be for a major program that would worship him for saving it.
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if those companies see a payoff. For some, it'll be a no brainier. For others, I bet you'd see a bunch of incentive laden contracts, like $100k/year (maybe?), with more if they are a top pick.

I was shocked at how much money these companies throw around these days for endorsements. They have multiple $100's of millions of dollars in the budget just for endorsement deals (the apparel companies, at least). They like getting the kids younger, so they have a better shot at cashing in if they become a superstar.

I don't think they would mind risking millions of it on top 50 recruits in any sport (a half million here, $200k there, $75 over there, etc.). If they sign them for 4-5 years, they may just have these athletes through their first year or two as a professional.

A guy like Zion would have probably generated $10's+ of millions in shoe sales as a freshman at Duke, if he had his own shoe that he endorsed.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only in America can getting $50k+ in tax free benefits be considered slave labor. I bet you people believe that burger flippers at McDonalds should be paid $10million a year because they would bee nothing without them.

It is only worth 50k because college tuition is extremely inflated. If I was given the option to make 40k a year, or 50k in benefits of questionable value I would take the 40 every time. And that is just for the average player. You think in an open environment Tua is not already a millionaire?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is only worth 50k because college tuition is extremely inflated. If I was given the option to make 40k a year, or 50k in benefits of questionable value I would take the 40 every time. And that is just for the average player. You think in an open environment Tua is not already a millionaire?
He can go to the XFL and make a couple $100k if he wants. Your issue should be with the NFL and NBA for forcing them not to go pro, specifically the players associations forcing that rule. Their are millions of people in America wish they could walk out of college debt free.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@iowajerms tell your boyz to heat up the bratwurst & kraut and have some cold beer on hand because the Huskies are coming to town .. every other year. :cool:

AR-190229867.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900
Not trying to pick a fight, but have you been to Seattle lately? No one is going to argue that California is f'd up in many ways, but Seattle can't point a finger at ANYONE. Folks in Iowa probably see little difference between San Fran and Seattle.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to pick a fight, but have you been to Seattle lately? No one is going to argue that California is f'd up in many ways, but Seattle can't point a finger at ANYONE. Folks in Iowa probably see little difference between San Fran and Seattle.
One has shit filling the streets and the other has antifa filling the streets. I see your point.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle and Portland have become California satellite shitholes due to the migrating California hordes overrunning those states and bringing their whacked out liberal bs with them. The only hope for the west coast is an all out civil war with no quarter given as in a Pol Pot style ending.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One has shit filling the streets and the other has antifa filling the streets. I see your point.
Oh, there is plenty of shit (and needles) there too. Just haven't rolled out a map ap to avoid it yet....coming soon.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can go to the XFL and make a couple $100k if he wants. Your issue should be with the NFL and NBA for forcing them not to go pro, specifically the players associations forcing that rule. Their are millions of people in America wish they could walk out of college debt free.

And that is another thing. When the XFL starts, what would keep athletes from jumping ship? I mean a guy like Tua could have played his freshman year at Bama, won the national title game, and then put his name in the XFL draft. I don't think he would have hurt his NFL draft status, and would be getting paid (endorsements, XFL contract, etc.). Plus he could spend all his time training instead of in a school classroom.

I wonder if the XFL (which is well funded from what I heard), will entice some of these freshman and sophomore superstars to jump ship early. They could spend a year or two in the XFL and get ready for the NFL draft without having the classroom requirements.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is what I was just thinking. If they are able to compensate, then they can start getting all those partial- and non-qualifiers from Southern and Central California. Would they still need them to qualify academically anymore? I know they make a big show about academics, but if you're going to pay for players, then PAY for players.
Doesn't matter how well you pay if you can't compete for titles . Even if they get all the best players and dominate regular seasons they'll never win anything . Kind of like how UCF football and Gonzaga basketball already do it