• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

California just voted in favor of killing off the PAC-12

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah TV money , merchandise money is boosters buying players, LOL. Way to twist things. If they were getting this money they would be less likely to want or need boosters 100 handshakes.
How much do you think you can get playing teams like Fresno St for 8 games, then Stanford? Your TV contract sucks now. It's going to be Sun Belt bad after that.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah TV money , merchandise money is boosters buying players, LOL. Way to twist things. If they were getting this money they would be less likely to want or need boosters 100 handshakes.
Bullshit. They would be getting that money plus they would be getting 6 figure bonuses from boosters for signing a jersey. Again, most athletic departments lose money, so what you want is to violate federal law and the title IX act or you want to expand the already massive chasm between the haves and have nots by allowing programs to openly buy players.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the PAC12, though. It's California, and any other school that they might be able to get to leave the NCAA ranks. The TV money will be atrocious...like worse than AAC bad. The schools won't have the cash to pay players. It will all have to come from boosters and sponsors. No chance at a championship. These companies will be paying in the hopes that they end up making to the NFL. Most of the kids on the team will get nothing....or at best, something comparable to what they's get in a scollie.

It is the Pac12, unless they want to jump ship. Again, every school in the Pac12 would have a HUGE recruiting advantage. They don't have to follow ANY NCAA recruiting guidelines.,

Regardless if most kids get nothing, it would only take a few top recruits to jump to a Pac12 program to make the rest of the programs in the NCAA to force change. If you lost a top recruit, that gave every indication that they were going to sign with you, and they went to a Pac12 school, you would immediately wonder how much they are getting paid.

If I'm the Pac12, I roll with it. I get my players to post instagram pictures of what Nike, UA, Adidas, etc. is paying them. I get these top recruits to get their fellow athletes to come. I can even call the athletes on other NCAA teams and talk them into coming out to my team. If they look disgruntled, tell them they can come and play immediately in the Pac12

Without NCAA rules, all the Pac12 teams can call athletes as often as they like. They can have as many recruiting trips as they like, and can spend whatever amount of money they like on the recruit. The NCAA recruiting rules are no longer in effect. It would truly give an advantage to Pac12 schools.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying if allowed the shoe companies and many other companies would be there to fund if players were getting the money. They do it in the shadows already
I'm sure Nike is itching to pay some 18 year old offensive lineman half a mil

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the Pac12, unless they want to jump ship. Again, every school in the Pac12 would have a HUGE recruiting advantage. They don't have to follow ANY NCAA recruiting guidelines.,

Regardless if most kids get nothing, it would only take a few top recruits to jump to a Pac12 program to make the rest of the programs in the NCAA to force change. If you lost a top recruit, that gave every indication that they were going to sign with you, and they went to a Pac12 school, you would immediately wonder how much they are getting paid.

If I'm the Pac12, I roll with it. I get my players to post instagram pictures of what Nike, UA, Adidas, etc. is paying them. I get these top recruits to get their fellow athletes to come. I can even call the athletes on other NCAA teams and talk them into coming out to my team. If they look disgruntled, tell them they can come and play immediately in the Pac12

Without NCAA rules, all the Pac12 teams can call athletes as often as they like. They can have as many recruiting trips as they like, and can spend whatever amount of money they like on the recruit. The NCAA recruiting rules are no longer in effect. It would truly give an advantage to Pac12 schools.
No way schools like Washington leave the NCAA.

If schools thought it would be so much more profitable, schools like OSU, Bama, etc would have left and started their own league by now.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The down side for the Pac12 in this situation is that the NCAA may completely cut them off. Meaning they could not be included in NCAA, baseball, volleyball, softball, track, etc. sports. That would devastate those programs. Although, money always talks.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The down side for the Pac12 in this situation is that the NCAA may completely cut them off. Meaning they could not be included in NCAA, baseball, volleyball, softball, track, etc. sports. That would devastate those programs. Although, money always talks.
May?

Will

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let them get paid. Strip them of scholarships and all of the benefits that come with it, they have to pay a set amount for coaching and facilities that will be the same for every team across the country, and they can pay taxes on their income.

Especially the taxes part! :heh: I believe Cali has the highest income tax rate in the country. "Sock it to 'em!" :nod:

This is so typical of California these days. :crazy: I am SO glad I moved out of that state years ago. I don't miss the BS that comes with living there.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way schools like Washington leave the NCAA.

If schools thought it would be so much more profitable, schools like OSU, Bama, etc would have left and started their own league by now.

Those programs have no reason to leave the NCAA. Washington would be a school without a conference. They could easily find a conference to join, but why would you immediately leave?

Basically, this would give you an IMMEDIATE advantage in recruiting. Money, how often you can contact the athlete, heck even academic requirements could be changed.

Again, I may be wrong here, but I don't see how the NCAA won't be forced to change because of this.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit. They would be getting that money plus they would be getting 6 figure bonuses from boosters for signing a jersey. Again, most athletic departments lose money, so what you want is to violate federal law and the title IX act or you want to expand the already massive chasm between the haves and have nots by allowing programs to openly buy players.

We dont have have and have not now? LOL. Go look at Alabamas Oregons Texas facilities and then go to Tulane, San Jose State. Tell me they are all playing with the same cards. Go ahead and tell me that,
How come everyone and their brother can make money except the players? Coaches, administrators , all the TV people everyone involved with the teams of schools. How come a person who has a scholarship in art or music or math can go make any type of money someone is willing to pay them and still be in school? Because the ncaa wants their slave labor and golden goose.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those programs have no reason to leave the NCAA. Washington would be a school without a conference. They could easily find a conference to join, but why would you immediately leave?

Basically, this would give you an IMMEDIATE advantage in recruiting. Money, how often you can contact the athlete, heck even academic requirements could be changed.

Again, I may be wrong here, but I don't see how the NCAA won't be forced to change because of this.
Uhh...the NCAA would enforce bans on anything NCAA affiliated since the school is breaking NCAA rules. So, effectively kicking them out, if not kicking them out entirely.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially the taxes part! :heh: I believe Cali has the highest income tax rate in the country. "Sock it to 'em!" :nod:

This is so typical of California these days. :crazy: I am SO glad I moved out of that state years ago. I don't miss the BS that comes with living there.

I think this is THE very reason that Cali passed this legislation. It's just another money grab.

Regardless, I can see SEVERAL players in the top 50 athletes of each sport being enticed by an early paycheck out of high school. Even if it meant being ineligible for a NCAA championship.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, will. So what? What do those sports generate anyway? At least compared to basketball and football.
Nothing other than scholarships and opportunity for other kids.

But my other post...if schools thought this would be successful, they would have done it by now.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhh...the NCAA would enforce bans on anything NCAA affiliated since the school is breaking NCAA rules. So, effectively kicking them out, if not kicking them out entirely.

Again, the programs outside the Pac12 would have not reason to leave their conferences like you asked earlier.

Your question was, why would other non Pac12 schools not leave the NCAA...because it doesn't make financial sense at this time. If it ever made financial sense, they would leave.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We dont have have and have not now? LOL
How come everyone and their brother can make money except the players? Coaches, administrators , all the TV people everyone involved with the teams of schools. How come a person who has a scholarship in art or music or math can go make any type of money someone is willing to pay them and still be in school? Because the ncaa wants their slave labor and golden goose.
Try rereading what I wrote. I said you want to expand the already the massive chasm between the haves and have nots. You want to completely destroy any measure used to try and keep things balanced. So lift the scholarship limit.

They want to get paid, go and play in Europe or go and play in the XFL. Nothing is stopping them. They can get paid right away. Again, go after the NFL and NBA and lift their age ban, then they can get paid right away.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, right now, you have like, what....5 kids a year go play in Europe, where the competition is going to be better than the Cali league.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing other than scholarships and opportunity for other kids.

But my other post...if schools thought this would be successful, they would have done it by now.

Again, it is not in the best interest of the other schools. California has forced the hand of the Pac12, so it is a moot point to compare this situation to other schools. Washington and other bigger Pac12 teams outside of Cali could find another conference, but I'm not sure why they would do that. They would get so much more of a recruiting bump from it.

Again, maybe I'm wrong here. My initial reaction is that coaches and players would be more likely to flood to these schools if there were literally no rules to recruiting, practice times, and the players earning money from their athletic career right out of high school (and even while in high school).

These young players could sign with agents at age 16, and still have a place to play in college without restrictions. Nike and other apparel companies would LOVE that.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, the programs outside the Pac12 would have not reason to leave their conferences like you asked earlier.

Your question was, why would other non Pac12 schools not leave the NCAA...because it doesn't make financial sense at this time. If it ever made financial sense, they would leave.
So, it makes sense for other PAC schools, but not OSU or Texas? You think Cali schools are going to benefit, but Florida schools wouldn't?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, right now, you have like, what....5 kids a year go play in Europe, where the competition is going to be better than the Cali league.

Name these high end athletes that go to Europe in both basketball and football, and where they land in the recruiting rankings. Perhaps I've just missed these athletes that go to Europe.