• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

California just voted in favor of killing off the PAC-12

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does attendance matter to these kids? They would play in an empty gym if you gave them a half a million dollar shoe contract.
Some of these kids have an ego bigger than a rock star. We lose west coast kids all the time to eastern schools just because they want to play in front of big crowds and get their dicks sucked by the locals. California is going to find itself isolated as it should. That state needs to pay for this bs. If not with nukes, then with total isolation of its college football programs. Let them die on the vine.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that would make the impacted Cali schools just go to Independent status? Or is there a bigger impact to where they cant compete in Div 1 football?
I would assume that any team that plays against those schools would not get "credit" for a victory in the NCAA's eyes.

If this happens, I can see the NCAA actually push for a playoff with a structured acceptance to stick it to the Cali schools.

If no other big time schools play the Cali schools, they don't have money to pay players. Those players would be stuck with endorsements...and only a handful - dozen would get those in anticipation of making the NFL.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so is California gonna make its own conference?
you have to go to FCS to get to 10 and DII for 12

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of these kids have an ego bigger than a rock star. We lose west coast kids all the time to eastern schools just because they want to play in front of big crowds and get their dicks sucked by the locals. California is going to find itself isolated as it should. That state needs to pay for this bs. If not with nukes, then with total isolation of its college football programs. Let them die on the vine.

Do you honestly think you would lose those kids if you handed him the keys to Corvette, with hundreds of thousands of dollars in the trunk without risking any NCAA penalties?

That is what these athletes could get without the NCAA restrictions. Are you telling me people wouldn't watch these teams if they had athletes like Zion playing on the team?

The rest of the bigger NCAA programs will follow California soon IMO. They are pretty much telling all high school athletes that they can now make money as a college athlete. The shoe companies will start going hard at these kids, and the top athletes are likely to be offered large contracts while in college.

The NCAA will change or be broken from this IMO.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athletes pay for their own medical insurance, pay for their own homes, living expenses.

And you do realize that most athletic departments lose money, right?

They are also living in multi million dollar homes with multiple expensive cars . Because they are making serious money lol.
The way things are done hasn't changed since the 1900s. Players get a free ride. But back then coaches were paid squat and schools made little if no money. In the 1990s serious money started rolling in and by 2000 the schools and coaches and ncaa employees are slicing up billions and the players have gotten the same deal they had before leather helmets. I dont know how to make it better but it';s obvious everyone has gotten rich off the backs of the players. Saying a player should be compensated when his likeness is used isn't going to bust the system. Its a scare tactic the ncaa uses because they know one someone figures out how to do it they will have to start sharing the wealth. Saying you get a free degree instead of getting paid then also saying we don't care if you really got educated is wrong.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does attendance matter to these kids? They would play in an empty gym if you gave them a half a million dollar shoe contract.

Money trumps everything. More people will watch if they get a few top athletes to take the money.
They would do better in basketball, since you only have to sit out one year, and the "can't miss" recruits get drafted high more often.

College football in California would die, though. They won't get 20 kids with shoe contracts.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that were to happen it would put the California schools on a level playing field with the SEC.

bama4.jpg

,,,and like the rest of the Pac-12, they would still get their ass kicked.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you honestly think you would lose those kids if you handed him the keys to Corvette, with hundreds of thousands of dollars in the trunk?

That is what these athletes could get without the NCAA restrictions. Are you telling me people wouldn't watch these teams if they had athletes like Zion playing on the team?

The rest of the teams will follow California as they are pretty much telling all high school athletes that they can now make money as a college athlete. The shoe companies will start going hard at these kids, and the top athletes are likely to be offered large contracts while in college.

The NCAA will change or be broken from this IMO.
How many of those kids will get the big money and what happens when the NCAA isolates the California schools like the US did with Cuba. The athletic depts in those schools are going to tank.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would do better in basketball, since you only have to sit out one year, and the "can't miss" recruits get drafted high more often.

College football in California would die, though. They won't get 20 kids with shoe contracts.

I just don't see why it wouldn't work for football too. These teams could legitimately recruit the top players with a Nike/UA/Adidas representative sitting next to them on the couch. It wouldn't take a lot of players jumping to the Pac12 to make programs in other states push the NCAA to get rid of the restrictions.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of those kids will get the big money and what happens when the NCAA isolates the California schools like the US did with Cuba. The athletic depts in those schools are going to tank.

How many big prospects need to jump before the rest of the NCAA teams begin panic? If Clemson, Bama, OSU, Texas, etc. just lost 1-2 kids because they chose the money in the Pac12, they would begin to loudly complain to the NCAA.

I can picture a guy like Urban going in and telling every recruit in the top 30 that he can guarantee them a contract with one of the big three apparel companies if they come to USC.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is the beginning of the end of the NCAA as we know it.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, "and either Boise or New Mexico". Let's see, do I feel like winning today OR getting bitch slapped....hmmm, it's just too early in the morning to say.

I guess we can do the charity case and take on Boise State :dhd:

In all seriousness, I would like to add New Mexico and either UNLV/Nevada, but $$ and competition wise, BYU and Boise make the most sense.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are also living in multi million dollar homes with multiple expensive cars . Because they are making serious money lol.
The way things are done hasn't changed since the 1900s. Players get a free ride. But back then coaches were paid squat and schools made little if no money. In the 1990s serious money started rolling in and by 2000 the schools and coaches and ncaa employees are slicing up billions and the players have gotten the same deal they had before leather helmets. I dont know how to make it better but it';s obvious everyone has gotten rich off the backs of the players. Saying a player should be compensated when his likeness is used isn't going to bust the system. Its a scare tactic the ncaa uses because they know one someone figures out how to do it they will have to start sharing the wealth. Saying you get a free degree instead of getting paid then also saying we don't care if you really got educated is wrong.
Big shock that a USC fan wants boosters to be able to buy all of the best players to go to their school.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah they would. Theres AAU teams and leagues with all the players getting paid.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they would. Theres AAU teams and leagues with all the players getting paid.
And who would pay the athletic depts in those schools. The B1G and SEC schools already make bank.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see why it wouldn't work for football too. These teams could legitimately recruit the top players with a Nike/UA/Adidas representative sitting next to them on the couch. It wouldn't take a lot of players jumping to the Pac12 to make programs in other states push the NCAA to get rid of the restrictions.
It's not the PAC12, though. It's California, and any other school that they might be able to get to leave the NCAA ranks. The TV money will be atrocious...like worse than AAC bad. The schools won't have the cash to pay players. It will all have to come from boosters and sponsors. No chance at a championship. These companies will be paying in the hopes that they end up making to the NFL. Most of the kids on the team will get nothing....or at best, something comparable to what they's get in a scollie.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the PAC12, though. It's California, and any other school that they might be able to get to leave the NCAA ranks. The TV money will be atrocious...like worse than AAC bad. The schools won't have the cash to pay players. It will all have to come from boosters and sponsors. No chance at a championship. These companies will be paying in the hopes that they end up making to the NFL. Most of the kids on the team will get nothing....or at best, something comparable to what they's get in a scollie.
Not to mention the California schools love the fvck out of those sports that nobody else plays such as beach volleyball. Those programs bleed money out the ass. Football pays for all the other sports in the PAC other than men's BB.

Reactions: gob

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big shock that a USC fan wants boosters to be able to buy all of the best players to go to their school.

Yeah TV money , merchandise money is boosters buying players, LOL. Way to twist things. If they were getting this money they would be less likely to want or need boosters 100 handshakes.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

I'm saying if allowed the shoe companies and many other companies would be there to fund if players were getting the money. They do it in the shadows already were they can. But they shouldn't need to all alone since the money generated is huge. It's just not shared with the actual people doing the work.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The better plan is to go after the NFL and NBA and make them lift their age bans.

Reactions: gob