• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

California just voted in favor of killing off the PAC-12

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it is not in the best interest of the other schools. California has forced the hand of the Pac12, so it is a moot point to compare this situation to other schools. Washington and other bigger Pac12 teams outside of Cali could find another conference, but I'm not sure why they would do that. They would get so much more of a recruiting bump from it.

Again, maybe I'm wrong here. My initial reaction is that coaches and players would be more likely to flood to these schools if there were literally no rules to recruiting, practice times, and the players earning money from their athletic career right out of high school (and even while in high school).

These young players could sign with agents at age 16, and still have a place to play in college without restrictions. Nike and other apparel companies would LOVE that.
agree to disagree. I foresee a dumpster fire if it does indeed happen.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name these high end athletes that go to Europe in both basketball and football, and where they land in the recruiting rankings. Perhaps I've just missed these athletes that go to Europe.
RJ Hampton for one (recent).

edit - he might have not have went Euro...just overseas

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name these high end athletes that go to Europe in both basketball and football, and where they land in the recruiting rankings. Perhaps I've just missed these athletes that go to Europe.
The Ball Brothers.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, it makes sense for other PAC schools, but not OSU or Texas? You think Cali schools are going to benefit, but Florida schools wouldn't?

Again, the Pac12 has no choice now. They have to leave the NCAA because of the rules.

OSU and Texas have a choice. They aren't going to leave a fat conference paycheck, but you better believe that if the Pac12 teams that remain have any success in recruiting, they will pressure the NCAA to change. Heck, the idea of just have a Power 5 conference and getting away from the NCAA has been floated several times of the years.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We dont have have and have not now? LOL. Go look at Alabamas Oregons Texas facilities and then go to Tulane, San Jose State. Tell me they are all playing with the same cards. Go ahead and tell me that,
How come everyone and their brother can make money except the players? Coaches, administrators , all the TV people everyone involved with the teams of schools. How come a person who has a scholarship in art or music or math can go make any type of money someone is willing to pay them and still be in school? Because the ncaa wants their slave labor and golden goose.
well the first A stands for Athletic and last i checked music and art dont fall under that. Is their pro and amateur art or music?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RJ Hampton for one (recent).

edit - he might have not have went Euro...just overseas

So if five kids a year are doing it, and I assume you meant in both basketball and football, name me another 10-15 from the past five years.

There should be at least 25 to choose from over the past 5 years.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, the Pac12 has no choice now. They have to leave the NCAA because of the rules.

OSU and Texas have a choice. They aren't going to leave a fat conference paycheck, but you better believe that if the Pac12 teams that remain have any success in recruiting, they will pressure the NCAA to change. Heck, the idea of just have a Power 5 conference and getting away from the NCAA has been floated several times of the years.
The PAC does have a choice....I am sure the AZ, WA, and Utah schools could find a spot elsewhere. Colorado might be fucked, unless the B1G took them in.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ball Brothers.

Again, maybe I'm wrong here, but I just don't see five top athletes from both basketball and football leaving to play overseas each year.

I would venture to say, as I look at the top 100 players on rivals from the past 4-5 years, that the number of top 100 recruits is less than 5 over the past 5 years. I don't see any in football, although I'm sure I'm missing a few somewhere.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if five kids a year are doing it, and I assume you meant in both basketball and football, name me another 10-15 from the past five years.

There should be at least 25 to choose from over the past 5 years.
I just threw out a number. I don't know if it's 5. I just know a couple higher profile kids have done it over the past few seasons.

And no football player has, because that would be fucking retarded.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC does have a choice....I am sure the AZ, WA, and Utah schools could find a spot elsewhere. Colorado might be fucked, unless the B1G took them in.

You take away Stanford, USC, and UCLA alone, you don't have a conference. The other schools may be able to jump into a Big 12 type conference, but anything else would be a MAJOR downgrade, especially out west. Why not gamble for a few years in this new system?

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait for this to happen. Washington will finally be joining it's long lost brethren in the B1G.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait for this to happen. Washington will finally be joining it's long lost brethren in the B1G.
We don’t need to water down an already weak west division more

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. According to 247, these were "top" HS recruits to go overseas out of HS

RJ Hampton
Brandon Jennings
Jeremy Tyler
Emmanuel Mudiay
Terrance Ferguson
Lamelo Ball

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You take away Stanford, USC, and UCLA alone, you don't have a conference. The other schools may be able to jump into a Big 12 type conference, but anything else would be a MAJOR downgrade, especially out west. Why not gamble for a few years in this new system?
Because if it doesn't work, you completely fuck your entire athletic department for a decade, at least.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well the first A stands for Athletic and last i checked music and art dont fall under that. Is their pro and amateur art or music?
The school is giving them a scholarship for their talent isn't it? But art student can paint something and sell it and not lose his scholership

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The school is giving them a scholarship for their talent isn't it? But art student can paint something and sell it and not lose his scholership
I haven't really been following other side convos, but I don't necessarily disagree with paying players...not sure how to do it, exactly, though.

I'm just in disagreement that Cali schools breaking away will be successful.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems like a weird request.
how has UW done against the B1G lately?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right because this has nothing to do with the National Collegiate ATHLETIC Association.
Thats like saying Roger Goodell should have a say on what Jennifer Lawrence is filming.