• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

California just voted in favor of killing off the PAC-12

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely there would. Didn't you see what happened with Adidas and how Nike was accused of the same thing with all the high school kids they were trying to entice? Those companies have $100's of millions in endorsement money. Every guy drafted in the first round of the NBA draft got an endorsement deal. I assume the same for every football player in the first round.

Tons of corporations would love to get these kids signed to endorsement deals early. It wouldn't cost them much. Give them free products and $50k a year for 4-5 years. Nike, Adidas, UA could all have those deals with a 100 kids each (high school and college) year. Zion is getting $10 million a year now from Nike, they estimate he will bring in $100's of million in sales. These companies don't mind whiffing on a bunch of athletes if they can get one return like that every so often.

You get them early, and you'll likely keep them. At least that is what happened when KD was offered more by another shoe company. He stuck with Nike for less money because he already had a relationship with them.
Coming out of high school you would have a very small percentage that would get these contracts.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bill only says if they use a players name, or likeness to market the game there should be some way of compensating them and if a player feels he's marketable then they should be able to monetize it. We now allow Olympic athletes to make deals for themselves. Not all players have that kind of fame to make money but the ones who can should be able.

How did I know you would chime in here with this bull shit. :doh:

They are being compensated, they are full scholly and cost of attendance to boot. Do they pay students for appearing in recruiting posters showing them working in labs and shit?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for what? heres all this stuff take all you want money cars everything. except you are playing for nothing. conference title in an isolated bubble. no chance at a National championship.
in the last 10 years football softball both mens and womens basketball volleyball have all been close
the various track programs all have titles in both mens and womens. golf got 1 too.

So you are saying they would leave the conference? Where would they go?

By the way, the top recruits would be playing for money. They would also be playing for an NFL contract. They want to win, but in my mind, any top 50 player is playing for money. If most of them could leave after their freshman year, they would do it. I believe it isn't about championships for most top 50 players, it's about getting paid.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming out of high school you would have a very small percentage that would get these contracts.

Again, Adidas just got in trouble for tampering with high school players. It doesn't take much money to sway people. I imagine it would be the same case with 16-18 year old kids. Offer them some free stuff, a decent monthly check, and you're likely to get them IMO. Take away the NCAA rules, and you have a wild, wild west opportunity, where all of it is legal...especially when fishing for top 100 athletes.

Again, you just need to hit on one or two superstars and you're making hundreds of millions of dollars off their endorsement. It's crazy what shoe companies pay athletes these days, and they all are trying to catch them at a VERY young age. I had heard that many NBA players make as much or more off their shoe endorsements as they do their player contracts.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are saying they would leave the conference? Where would they go?

By the way, the top recruits would be playing for money. They would also be playing for an NFL contract. They want to win, but in my mind, any top 50 player is playing for money. If most of them could leave after their freshman year, they would do it. I believe it isn't about championships for most top 50 players, it's about getting paid.
so you are saying the if 4 teams were banned from by the NCAA that the majority outside of California would be the ones leaving?

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is beating a dead horse, the PAC died years ago.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just get Washington into the B1G West and remember only retards say 'warsh' instead of 'wash'.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the NCAA drops them, then the NCAA rules go out the window. They would then just govern themselves (outside of federal law). Thus players would be free to look for ways of compensation (endorsements) and coaches could pretty much recruit any way they like without NCAA limits to worry about.

Ummm, what market are these four schools going to play in front of once they're dropped by the NCAA? You still think these four Cali schools will be still playing in the PAC? They'd be dropped by the PAC and have zero audience or marketability playing amongst themselves.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all missed the point of this. California is tired of being irrelevant in sports and all of the talent leaving so they are trying to figure out a way to stay relevant. They don’t want any other state to do this because then they would go back to being overlooked.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm, what market are these four schools going to play in front of once they're dropped by the NCAA? You still think these four Cali schools will be still playing in the PAC? They'd be dropped by the PAC and have zero audience or marketability playing amongst themselves.
Pac-12 & Alibaba Group expand first-of-a-kind partnership to bring college sports to Chinese audiences

BN-BS071_csmog0_G_20140227062030.jpg

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you are saying the if 4 teams were banned from by the NCAA that the majority outside of California would be the ones leaving?

I'm saying that there is a tv contract that pays the schools a lot of money, and not a lot of good conferences anywhere near them. Maybe something like this would kill that tv contract, but I just don't see the benefits of them leaving for another conference, if they could make the Pac12 work.

I honestly think the NCAA will back down and cave. There is too much at risk for them. If the Pac12 schools stay together, and begin being more successful in courting the top athletes to their schools by allowing them to get agents, sign endorsement deals, and give coaches WAY more freedom in recruiting than NCAA coaches, the big programs will threaten to dump them. They could continue to have their conferences, but just govern themselves.

They have till 2023 to some how come to an agreement, but I think the NCAA will cave and make some drastic changes. I mean, they are likely losing all the top high school players in the next collective bargaining agreement in the NBA. So this is likely just a football issue.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, if you take away the NCAA rules from these schools, they can now bring agents, business opportunities, and free products when recruiting the top athletes. There would be no rules on scholarships, coaches contacting athletes, and the athletes could be paid by endorsement deals, even before they arrive on campus. Pac12 coaches could even contact current players on other NCAA schools, and facilitate an endorsement deal if they would come to their school. They could play immediately. I think there is a good chance the rest of the Pac12 teams outside of Cali would stay.

How many top 100 players would the Pac12 have to entice before the big programs in the NCAA would get angry enough to threaten to leave the NCAA?

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, if you take away the NCAA rules from these schools, they can now bring agents, business opportunities, and free products when recruiting the top athletes. There would be no rules on scholarships, coaches contacting athletes, and the athletes could be paid by endorsement deals, even before they arrive on campus. Pac12 coaches could even contact current players on other NCAA schools, and facilitate an endorsement deal if they would come to their school. They could play immediately.

How many top 100 players would the Pac12 have to entice before the big programs in the NCAA would get angry enough to threaten to leave the NCAA?
There won't be a PAC 12. There will be the California schools, Larry Scott and an audience somewhere in China who actually get the PAC Network.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did I know you would chime in here with this bull shit. :doh:

They are being compensated, they are full scholly and cost of attendance to boot. Do they pay students for appearing in recruiting posters showing them working in labs and shit?

Do they sell the recruiting posters of students working in labs?
Do they sell shirts with the number and name of the students working in the lab?
Do 100k people pay to park and eat to watch the students do lab work 6-8 times a year?
Does the university get money for televising the students do lab work? (almost 20 million)

How did I know you'd get shot down so easily. :pound:

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There won't be a PAC 12. There will be the California schools, Larry Scott and an audience somewhere in China who actually get the PAC Network.

You may be right. It's happening regardless, so we shall see who backs down. I still think the NCAA makes major changes to keep the Pac12. Even if they don't, I think the Pac12 will keep most, if not all the schools. There would be too much of an advantage for them in recruiting top 100 players compared to those who are handcuffed by NCAA regulations.

If they managed to just get 30% of the top 100 players in the first 2-3 years, it would become a snowball in future years. The top players would definitely flaunt their new fortunes, and attract new players and transfers IMO. Top players attract a lot of endorsements, and tv money.