• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

California just voted in favor of killing off the PAC-12

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the California schools are booted out of the NCAA, where is the high school talent in California going to go? Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Utah, Colorado and outside the PAC area.
Why do so many go there now?

Because of the visibility and relationships built with all the travel down there.

Remove that and more of the 4* and 5* talent gets poached by the SEC and national brands.

Those are facts.

We have the schedules we do because no team from outside of Cali would sign off on a schedule that didn't have all of us doing at least one guaranteed road trip to the state every year. It's a central component of every school's recruiting plan.

Take that away and no team remains as strong.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do so many go there now?

Because of the visibility and relationships built with all the travel down there.

Remove that and more of the 4* and 5* talent gets poached by the SEC and national brands.

Those are facts.

We have the schedules we do because no team from outside of Cali would sign off on a schedule that didn't have all of us doing at least one guaranteed road trip to the state every year. It's a central component of every school's recruiting plan.

Take that away and no team remains as strong.
Let shaggy know that he's going to need to move the Washington forum over to the B1G. :)

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If UW went to the big they never win a division again. Their recruiting would take too big of a hit with nothing to replace it with.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If UW went to the big they never win a division again. Their recruiting would take too big of a hit with nothing to replace it with.
The recruiting will only get better. How many of those Cali kids will want to stay home and play in front of crowds numbering 30,000 at best.

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the Pac12, unless they want to jump ship. Again, every school in the Pac12 would have a HUGE recruiting advantage. They don't have to follow ANY NCAA recruiting guidelines.,

Regardless if most kids get nothing, it would only take a few top recruits to jump to a Pac12 program to make the rest of the programs in the NCAA to force change. If you lost a top recruit, that gave every indication that they were going to sign with you, and they went to a Pac12 school, you would immediately wonder how much they are getting paid.

If I'm the Pac12, I roll with it. I get my players to post instagram pictures of what Nike, UA, Adidas, etc. is paying them. I get these top recruits to get their fellow athletes to come. I can even call the athletes on other NCAA teams and talk them into coming out to my team. If they look disgruntled, tell them they can come and play immediately in the Pac12

Without NCAA rules, all the Pac12 teams can call athletes as often as they like. They can have as many recruiting trips as they like, and can spend whatever amount of money they like on the recruit. The NCAA recruiting rules are no longer in effect. It would truly give an advantage to Pac12 schools.
And then the PAC12 will no longer be eligible for the playoff, and the other FBS conferences won’t schedule them anymore. They don’t have to abide by NCAA rules, but they can’t expect to be allowed to compete against the ones that do.

Losing a few recruits to the PAC12, who are then declared ineligible because they have accepted impermissible benefits and so give up their college eligibility, isn’t going to force the other schools to do anything.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they sell the recruiting posters of students working in labs?
Do they sell shirts with the number and name of the students working in the lab?
Do 100k people pay to park and eat to watch the students do lab work 6-8 times a year?
Does the university get money for televising the students do lab work? (almost 20 million)

How did I know you'd get shot down so easily. :pound:

Almost all the money made is either for facilities, coaches salaries, and propping up non revenue sports. IE it's reinvested back into the student athletes. There aren't a bunch of rich folks making bank off of the poor student athletes like professional sport owners. Hence the difference.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a glorious time we live in. We get to witness Californians eating their neighbors recycled turds, rolling power outages in LA County due to lack of electricity, the Bubonic Plague starting to pick up steam in LA due the all the plague infested rats, homeless shit patrols cleaning up poop off the sidewalks in Frisco, free healthcare for illegals on the taxpayer dime, and now the demise of college football in California. It doesn't get much better than this. :)

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The recruiting will only get better. How many of those Cali kids will want to stay home and play in front of crowds numbering 30,000 at best.
There's gonna be 30k at the Rose Bowl on Saturday. 29k of them will be Oklahoma fans.

Gopherfan84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like was mentioned in this thread by a previous poster ... Chinese football league would be my guess. California bans state travel to several states over some bs bathroom laws but they don't have a problem spending state money on government visits to communist China.

What the Chinese call football, most people in the U.S. call soccer. How many 280+ pound soccer players do you see? :dhd:

While most of the attention has been on the PAC schools, taking a moment to look at the broader picture the FBS would lose:

3 MWC--San Diego St., Fresno St., San Jose St.
2/4 PAC-12-- (depending on if the private schools would have to follow the law) Cal, USC, UCLA, Stanford

Assuming that the private schools would be out too, what you would likely see is a reorganization with the MWC becoming the 5th P5 by taking in some of the PAC refugees.

MWC would add Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., and either Utah or Colorado (with in-state rivals already in the MWC) to get to 14 teams, unless BYU wanted to return with the impending P5 status to take Utah or Colorado's place

That would leave the Arizona schools and the Utah/Colorado loser to find another conference. My guess is that the Big-12 would look at expanding to take in at least the Arizona schools, with maybe the Utah/Colorado loser ending up as an independent.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That bill will get signed off and become law in the state of California. Those politicians couldn't give two shits about the ramifications of what they're doing. If there's something that can be passed in that state that's totally fvcked up you can bet the farm it will become law.

Well I guess that means that the two newest members of the Pac are Oklahoma and Texas.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the Chinese call football, most people in the U.S. call soccer. How many 280+ pound soccer players do you see? :dhd:

While most of the attention has been on the PAC schools, taking a moment to look at the broader picture the FBS would lose:

3 MWC--San Diego St., Fresno St., San Jose St.
2/4 PAC-12-- (depending on if the private schools would have to follow the law) Cal, USC, UCLA, Stanford

Assuming that the private schools would be out too, what you would likely see is a reorganization with the MWC becoming the 5th P5 by taking in some of the PAC refugees.

MWC would add Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., and either Utah or Colorado (with in-state rivals already in the MWC) to get to 14 teams, unless BYU wanted to return with the impending P5 status to take Utah or Colorado's place

That would leave the Arizona schools and the Utah/Colorado loser to find another conference. My guess is that the Big-12 would look at expanding to take in at least the Arizona schools, with maybe the Utah/Colorado loser ending up as an independent.
Washington is going to the B1G .. but I agree with most of that post.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost all the money made is either for facilities, coaches salaries, and propping up non revenue sports. IE it's reinvested back into the student athletes. There aren't a bunch of rich folks making bank off of the poor student athletes like professional sport owners. Hence the difference.
You're a fan or alum of Texas and you're going to try an tell me nobodys getting rich off of football? From over 200 million ? LOL.
I've been to Austin for a game week and game and if you have you know you're lying. Those hotels bars restaurants aren't getting full from students doing lab work.
The difference is in the pros they cut the money pie in half.

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next up for vote in the California State Assembly:

Independence!

The new fangled Republic of California in which everybody gets paid including bums and freaks!

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a fan or alum of Texas and you're going to try an tell me nobodys getting rich off of football? From over 200 million ? LOL.
I've been to Austin for a game week and game and if you have you know you're lying. Those hotels bars restaurants aren't getting full from students doing lab work.
The difference is in the pros they cut the money pie in half.

Graduation and parents weekends are almost as lucrative as football weekends. Students in general make money for the local economy. Should we give all of them a cut?

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac-12 could have had Texas, OU and Ok State. The deal breaker was that Texas wouldn't go without Baylor and the Pac-12 said NO WAY to Baylor because its a 'religious' school.

For you guys who think they're going for BYU you'd better think again. Ain't gonna happen.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac-12 could have had Texas, OU and Ok State. The deal breaker was that Texas wouldn't go without Baylor and the Pac-12 said NO WAY to Baylor because its a 'religious' school.

For you guys who think they're going for BYU you'd better think again. Ain't gonna happen.
The deal breaker was the LHN. The two okie schools asked to join the PAC, and then Larry Scott wanted Texas as part of the deal and Texas said Texas Tech would have to come also. Larry Scott said yes to this but told Bevo they would have to share the LHN proceeds and Bevo said no way. If Scott had a brain he would have taken the two okie schools without Texas as part of the deal.